The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER

Go down 
+29
brando
scatcatcnut
Hotrodtodd
WildCat
Budgie
Scatman
Madman
rocker61
PICKIN' PETE
StanTheMan
laurent327
Dino
johnny61
Susan
Danny_Wilde
Chillicat
Mikey
kbilly
Setzerado
Kiki
Sharky
Rockin' Johnny
Rockabilly Ross
rickabilly
Pirate Paul
ratpack
Diggey
brett
Kid Setzer
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
laurent327

laurent327

TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 8:10 am

go to www.allmusic.com, and listen the samples
Back to top Go down
StanTheMan

StanTheMan

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 8:23 am

Dino wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm a fairly new Brian fan and I need to increase my collection, but I don't know much about the albums I don't yet own. So I thought I'd resurrect this thread in the hope of getting some advice about which ones to buy first- any help is appreciated!

Basically:

1. How good are "BSO" and "Guitar Slinger"- and how do they compare to Dirty Boogie and Vavoom?

2. How good are Knife and Nude Guitars?

3. It seems that everybody loves Ignition- true or false?

4. I've already bought Nitro BFD but not listened yet- am I right in thinking it's not exactly a fan favourite?

Thanks for reading!

I've always thought Guitar Slinger, Dirty Boogie, and Vavoom were similar in that they featured heavy of Brian's Guitar playin were as the the first BSO album was much lighter but still good.

All the other albums you've mentioned are great! Especially Ignition. It's too bad you didn't witness the 68 CBS tour that supported Ignition. Those were fun, happy times! cheers

Nitro BFD? It's definitely on of my favorites.

Buy them all. You can't go wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/synagogue327
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:46 am

HEY GANG!!
As a one musician to any other musicians and music fans, what ya gotta realize is that the process of puttin' a song together or what it means at the time may be or is a PERSONAL expression.
I've written' heaps of songs/music that not everyone will appreciate, but I DO!
So in conclussion, I don't think Brain or any other musician has a flop, rather it's just not to YOUR liking.
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
rocker61

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:56 am

'wow' spot on rickabilly could not have put it better my self cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Madman

Madman

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:57 am

Hey Pete
Totally agree. who are we to judge?
As I've said before, when you look at what Brian can do from playing, singing, composing and arranging - how many of us can do that AND get albums into the charts AND win Grammys?
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 12:15 pm

..and get embraced by a Beatle?
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 2:01 pm

Dino wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm a fairly new Brian fan and I need to increase my collection, but I don't know much about the albums I don't yet own. So I thought I'd resurrect this thread in the hope of getting some advice about which ones to buy first- any help is appreciated!

Basically:

1. How good are "BSO" and "Guitar Slinger"- and how do they compare to Dirty Boogie and Vavoom?

4. I've already bought Nitro BFD but not listened yet- am I right in thinking it's not exactly a fan favourite?

Thanks for reading!

First of all, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your discovery of the music of Brian Setzer!

As far as the "who are we to judge" argument put forth here, in short, we are fans. Many of us have invested thousands of dollars in "legit" CDs, concert tickets, travel to said concerts, and have provided word of mouth to build up Brian's fan base. Even though we didn't contribute to the creative process, I think we have a right to our opinions. I do think the "could you do what he does" point has some validity in that it should instill in you some sense of respect for Brian's artistry, even and especially when expressing a criticism. But I don't think it deprives you of your right to have an opinion.

I'm not saying Brian Setzer owes us anything. In fact, considering the enjoyment I get from his music, the other musicians I have discovered because of Brian's influence, and the lifelong friendships I have made with other Setzer fans, it's fair to say I will be forever in his debt.

Whew! Off the soapbox for a bit. On to Dino's questions...

1) The first BSO album has more of a lounge feel to it. There are a couple of Bobby Darin covers, some jump blues, slow blues, a ballad with strings, and a few rockabilly numbers (Your True Love and Brand New Cadillac). It is perhaps the most unique of all the BSO albums, but it's one of my favorites.

Guitar Slinger is a bit more rockin', probably the most rockin', of all the BSO albums. That doesn't mean I think it's the best one, but it is definitely less of a lounge sound than the first album. Get the 2002 Japanese edition, which combines the 1995 Japanese release with the 1996 US release for a more complete album. The House is a Rockin', Ghost Radio, Hoodoo Voodoo Doll, and Rumble in Brighton are all really driving tunes. Even the swingin' stuff has more of an edge than most of the first album, and I really enjoy the BSO's version of Mellow Saxophone. Joe Strummer duets with Brian on Guitar Slinger, and Brian's strength as a ballad singer is confirmed on his cover of Gene Pitney's Town Without Pity.

The Dirty Boogie was far and away Brian's biggest commercial success. In my opinion, it seems to have combined the best swingin' and rockin' elements of the first two albums. The presence of Mark Winchester's slap bass on most of the album really added to the sound.

Vavoom is the BSO album I enjoy the most. Maybe it's the beat, the song selections, or something else I just can't pinpoint, but I cannot sit still when that CD's playing. It's like trying to explain how I can dislike Gettin' In the Mood, but adore Pennsylvania 6-5000. That opinion doesn't even make sense to me! LOL! They're both electronically enhanced, lyrical interpretations of Glenn Miller standards - how can I like one and not the other? It may be less true to the big band sound on some tunes than Dirty Boogie, but to me, Vavoom is the BSO album where Brian has done the best job of importing his rockin', twangy, virtuosic "how the hell did he do that?" style to the big band format. It's the height of the evolution of the BSO as a studio band for me. I'm not taking anything away from the Christmas albums or Wolfgang's Big Night Out. Those albums seems to be set in more traditional arrangements and less innovative than Vavoom. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.

2) The Knife Feels Like Justice has some great songwriting on it. It seems a little dated (80s - as opposed to that timeless 50's sound), but I have to think it suffers from comparisons to Brian's work with Stray Cats. Everyone wanted to put him in a 'billy box, and this album just wasn't having it. I think if this album were released by an artist whose established style sounded more like this album - Bruce Springsteen, perhaps - it might have been hugely successful.

Live Nude Guitars is quite a bit more rockin' than Knife, and I would think fans of Ignition, NBFD, and 13 might enjoy this one more than Knife, but there are plenty of fans here who count The Knife Feels Like Justice among their top Setzer solo projects.

3) Everybody Loves Ignition - That Ray Romano is comedy gold, I tell ya, but the real star of that show was Peter Boyle.

Oh.

Ignition is definitely my favorite Setzer album, but I played the hell out of it that first year, so I don't listen to it now nearly as much as I should. Plus, the anticipation for that album was like no other. Brian was returning to a trio format for the first time in years, and fans could not wait to see what Brian would do after 8 years with the BSO. Brian, Mark, and Bernie performed a good deal of the album in November 2000 - seven months before the album's release at the Coach House and Belly Up Tavern. Brian was kind enough to allow and encourage the recording of these shows, and the members of an earlier version of this message board served as a distribution tree for these Heil Recordings, named for Judy Heil, the fan who recorded them. The excitement simmered for months ahead of the album's release. From the opening lick of the title track, to the explosive Malagueña and the crazed yodeling of 8-Track (a fan favorite and positively brilliant live) there's a lot to love on this record.

4) I love NBFD. That previous review I posted earlier in this thread was a satirical look back on it, a couple of years after its release. I took a "mock psycho-analytical" slant on it, and forced observations in there to fit the theme. There is some truth to the observation that the lyrics are darker and edgier in places. But I love listening to it. I had it on last night, in fact. Since you've already purchased it, there's no point in me giving you any sort of feedback on it. I think you'll like it. Perhaps not as much as Ignition, but that's really the main drawback to this album - it followed a strong record like Ignition. Those fans who wanted either a non-Christmas BSO album or "Son of Ignition," might have felt a little let down.

I don't know what you do and do not already own, but including Stray Cat releases, there's at least 28 official albums to track down. My advice: Don't skip a single one. Good luck on your journey!

I've Got 50 Words More Than I'm Gonna Keep-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 2:33 pm

rickabilly wrote:
I'm not saying Brian Setzer owes us anything.

So sayeth the man who's never been hit in the schmeckle with a baseball hit by The Brian...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 2:55 pm

Budgie wrote:
rickabilly wrote:

So sayeth the man who's never been hit in the schmeckle with a baseball hit by The Brian...

So it's The Brian's fault you forgot to wear a cup?

Schmeckle-billy
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 3:06 pm

rickabilly wrote:
So it's The Brian's fault you forgot to wear a cup?

Or maybe I just should've caught the ball... But he did throw a pitch directly at my head a short time after!!!

The Brian hates Budgie...

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
WildCat

WildCat

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Budgie wrote:
The Brian hates Budgie...

Crying or Very sad
Oh pur-leez! Rolling Eyes

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
Dino

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Thanks for your replies, especially rickabilly- greedy of me, I know, but that's the kind of detailed insight I was hoping for!

I already have (and ADORE) Dirty Boogie and Vavoom- which is why I wondered whether the earlier BSO albums were as good. I also have Wolfgang and a few Stray Cats bits and pieces, so with your advice on board, I'll start working my way down the list. And never fear- my intention has always been to own the whole collection- it just depends which order I want to buy them in!
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 6:25 pm

Dino wrote:
Thanks for your replies, especially rickabilly- greedy of me, I know, but that's the kind of detailed insight I was hoping for!

I already have (and ADORE) Dirty Boogie and Vavoom- which is why I wondered whether the earlier BSO albums were as good. I also have Wolfgang and a few Stray Cats bits and pieces, so with your advice on board, I'll start working my way down the list. And never fear- my intention has always been to own the whole collection- it just depends which order I want to buy them in!

OK, now that I know what you already have:

1) Buy Red, Hot, and Live - NOW! (great versions of tunes from 13, Rockabilly Riot, and Stray Cats - including the definitive live version of Rock This Town.)

2) Buy Ignition

3) Buy Rockabilly Riot, Volume One

4) Buy BSO's Ultimate Collection Live - Japanese version, if possible - the BSO is a band best enjoyed live - and you get a live performance from the Guitar Slinger era on Disc One and a Vavoom! era live recording on Disc 2. It's a must have!

These are all albums you can still buy new, where Brian can get some compensation from your purchases. After these, then you may have to scour eBay, Amazon, etc. for previously owned or out-of-print copies. The 2002 Japanese edition of Guitar Slinger is perhaps the most recommended of these, as well as Rockin' By Myself - an "unplugged" Setzer CD released only in Japan.

Good Will Hunting-billy
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 6:29 pm

Scatman wrote:
..and get embraced by a Beatle?

Hey, my cousin Paddy was embraced by a Beatle!!!

TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 PaddyPaul

OK... so he was pointed at by a Beatle...

Can Kanye West say THAT???
Back to top Go down
Hotrodtodd

Hotrodtodd

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Budgie wrote:
rickabilly wrote:

wow give us the rest of that story . please. id love to hear it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thedaytonasrock
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: worst song   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 4:44 am

Only one that doesn't work for me in the whole catalogue of Setzer/Cats stuff is Hennepin thing on 13. Just don't get that one at all!
Back to top Go down
brando

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 10:32 am

Bad or good albums? Hmmm i think Brian made classics (the early Stray Cats and early BSO). Those albums are standards for the rockabilly/swing scene. Those still will be evergreens in 20 years. I do like Brians solo stuff although they sound very eighties and won't qualify for classics. Same goes for the less known stray cats albums Lets go Faster and Choo Choo Hot Fish.

I remember seeing the Cats in the early nineties at an open air festival in Belgium. People went mad on the Cats who played pretty heavy at the time (lots of psychostompin going on). Then suddenly Lee Rocker picked up an electric bass for doing some tracks from Lets go Faster. People didn't accept that and started screamin and yellin. After two tracks Lee brought back the bass (ehmmm threw it away) and kinda angry picked up the double bass. And everything went great again. One of the wildest performances by the Stray Cats I've been to. The Cats played pretty aggresively and i remember the audience acted in the same way. Lots of fights. But overall I guess the best performance i ever saw by them.

So grandpa is gonna rest again. Have a great day hahahahaha.

Chris
Back to top Go down
coonman

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 3:10 pm

He has not put out a bad cd in my opinion. To the person wanting to explore more Setzer cd's, I say just buy them all. As for all the talk about Nitro, that cd has some great songs. Rat Pack Boogie and Luck Be A Lady are two of the best Brian and BSO has ever done.
Back to top Go down
Susan

Susan

PostSubject: Tops and Flops continued...   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 3:57 pm

Wolfgang's Big Night Out is a masterpeice. While it may or may not be commercially successful, I simply cannot get enough of it. I was lucky to see the BSO November 2007. I had two center 4th row tickets and couldn't find anyone to go with me. Everyone I invited declined my invitation even though I told them how much this show had to offer (big band, trio etc...) still no takers. Going to the show alone did not dampen my spirits one bit! Brian never ceases to amaze, but I must say, the new songs from "Wolfie" were absolutely "stunning" to experience live. Meanwhile, the empty seat next to me became a coat rack. And while the people around me were "laughing" at my very expensive coat rack...I reminded them that they were all sitting BEHIND me!

Last edited by Susan on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
cfunke

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 5:10 pm

Dino wrote:
Hi guys,

Basically:

Thanks for reading!

1) BSO and Guitar Slinger have totally different sounds. BSO is really more of a crooner/swing album but it's worth a listen. More horns than guitars but Brian's got a good enough voice to pull it off. Guitar Slinger is my favorite album and it's really just a rockabilly album with a big band backing him. I'm a HUGE SRV fan but I actually prefer Brian's version of House is Rockin. I wish he'd get back to the Guitar Slinger sound.

2) Depends on your tolerance for 80's production. The songs are good but they sound different. Kind of tinny.

3) LOVE Ignition. It came out while I was on my honeymoon and I made my wife stop by a record store so we could pick it up.

4) I'm also not a fan of Nitro. The production sounds week and the songs just don't do that much for me but it's a rare miss in along collection of hits.

Would I be bad for suggesting that the latest BSO album is also a miss?
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 7:50 pm

scatcatcnut wrote:
Only one that doesn't work for me in the whole catalogue of Setzer/Cats stuff is Hennepin thing on 13. Just don't get that one at all!

Gotta allow the man his own thing now, after nearly 30 years! For me the 'fish out of water' was always - The rain Washed Everything Away'??? Didn't get it? Darlin', we've had our problems, but now the rain..... Hmmmm.

Let the man do what he want's, we'll all love at least 99% of it huh?

Mikey Schroeter... x
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
rockabilly guy

rockabilly guy

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 9:49 pm

There aren't many Setzer songs I can't listen to,but one is Bad Bad Girl from 13.To counter that though I ADORE The Hennepin Avenue Bridge,a most unlikely Brian song.I had to check he'd wrote that one as it sounds so 'old'.Always thought it would end up on a soundtrack someday,don't ask me why.13 is a fine album actually,I like the harder sound and think Really Rockabilly is great.

Ignition is indeed a fantastic album...why oh why the anthemic Get 'Em On The Ropes isn't a mainstay of Brian's set list is beyond me.

NBFD is not one of my favourites.It starts strongly with Sixty Years and Don't Trust A
Woman but doesn't maintain the standard IMHO.

Always loved Live Nude Guitars as it marked Brian's return to a more Rockin' style following The Knife and I feel gave him the appetite to reform the Cats.
And boy,did Blast Off rock!The most complete in your face Stray Cats Rockabilly record.I mean,just look at the song titles...Rockabilly Rules,Rockabilly World,Rockin' All Over The Place,Everybody Needs Rock N Roll etc.This album was a statement.The Rockabilly Kings were back!
If you are looking to add to your collection then THIS is the one to get first.Trust me,every tracks a winner.

As for the BSO,there was an evolution from the first album.The Japanese version of Guitar Slinger is certainly the one to have.How the rest of the world didn't get the superb title track is a mystery.
They obviously peaked with the Dirty Boogie and Vavoom is not without merit too.My most unloved BSO track though is the grammy winning Caravan.Can't stand it.
After the 'Wolfgang project',(which I admire Brian's balls in even attempting)I would love the BSO to give us a new Rockin' CD.I'm not a Wolfie fan,though I take my hat off for the concept and superb playing on it.It just doesn't do it for me and yes of course I bought it!

As with most things,there is no right or wrong,merely one persons taste against anothers.We are all truly thankful that we have Brian's music to listen to.I personally would buy ANY style he sees fit to put out,as I have these last 27 years.There will be highs and lows along the way but remember one persons junk is anothers treasure.

Steve
Hopin' Brian never hangs up his guitar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabilly81
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 8:19 am

Rockabilly Ross wrote:
I would say my least listened to is The Knife Feels Like Justie. Just not my cup of tea. Thumbs up to just about everything else.

Ross affraid

In time you'll learn. In time you'll learn... Laughing
Just be sure to keep it in your closet.
Over 10 years or so you will be digging up this album and love each and every song of it.
My favorite Setzer ever is "Chains around your heart".
First song side-B!
Still have it on vinyl!

....mmmm I read somewhere Brian himself doesn't listen to the record anyway...
scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER   TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

TOP`S AND FLOP`S OF BRIAN SETZER
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2