The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??

Go down 
+5
Scatman
sidelakebob
PICKIN' PETE
Kid Setzer
paulmcc
9 posters
AuthorMessage
paulmcc

Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? Empty
PostSubject: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 6:26 am

G'Day there,
I know this is a long shot but can someone out there settle an argument? I Live in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. I'm sure I remember seeing Brian Setzer playing at the Civic Hall in Ballarat, but a mate is doubtful. Dates are very hazy but it probably would have been late 80's early 90's. Am I out of my BRAIN??????????
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:09 am

Hey Paul, welcome aboard!! Are you from Australia? If so.. sweeeeeet!

Well these are the only dates I could find of Aussie Stray Cats tours, it's from their 'Let's go faster' tour in 1991.. I can't see the gig you are talking about.

Wednesday 27 February 1991 Perth
White Sands Tavern
SHOW TYPE: 18+

Thursday 28 February 1991 Perth
Berlin Club

Friday 1 March 1991 Perth
Herdsmen Hotel

Saturday 2 March 1991 Perth
Old Melbourne Hotel

Monday 4 March 1991 Adelaide
Transformers Nightclub

Tuesday 5 March 1991 Adelaide
Transformers Nightclub

Thursday 7 March 1991 Melbourne
The Palace

Friday 8 March 1991 Melbourne
The Palace

Saturday 9 March 1991 Melbourne
The Village Green

Sunday 10 March 1991 Melbourne
Transformers

Tuesday 12 March 1991 Newcastle
Palais Royale

Thursday 14 March 1991 Brisbane
Transformers

Friday 15 March 1991 Brisbane
Beenleigh Tavern

Saturday 16 March 1991 Gold Coast
Fishermans Wharf

Sunday 17 March 1991 Sunshine Coast
Galaxy Nightclub

Tuesday 19 March 1991 Sydney
St George Leagues Club

Wednesday 20 March 1991 Wollongong
Waves Nightclub

Friday 22 March 1991 Coogee
Selinas, Coogee Bay Hotel

Saturday 23 March 1991 Coogee
Selinas, Coogee Bay Hotel

Sunday 24 March 1991 Sydney
Bankstown Sports Club

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:32 am

Haha, I just read your original post and you did say that you were from Australia.. Obviously I don't pay attention Razz I'm orignally from around Ballarat.

Kid.
Back to top Go down
paulmcc

PostSubject: Tah Kid   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:33 am

Thanks for that kid, but it wasn't one of them. I had a feeling it was with Jimmy Barnes but that doesn't sound right eh?
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 8:16 am

Hey paulmcc,
G'DAY MATE!!!!!!!!
I might be able to help you out with this a little......
I have in front of me a flyer for the Barnesy Two Fires Tour dated December 4 1990 that states the Stray Cats as very special guests, and a newspaper article dated 29 November 1990, that Brian is interviewed about the upcoming Barnesy Two Fires Tour that the Cats and Concrete Blonde supported. He tells how he met Barnesy, recorded Lil' Darlin' with him and the solo gig they were performing at Transformers 3 December, the night before the Barnes concert! By the way, that gig changed my life FOREVER!!!!!! I stood transfixed, literaly less than 2 metres with my chest and arms hanging over the stage just trying to take in what he was doin'!! Dream come true!! We met him after the show and asked if we were coming to the gig tomorrow night and thanked us for our praise of him! HE THANKED US!!! This cat is humble!!
Ok, next piece I have in front of me is the flyer from the Transformers gig dated 4+5 March 1991, as Kid put in before. This was for the Let's Go Faster Tour. Why did I keep this flyer? Well I guess because Brian signed it for me!!!!!! Absolute Fuckin' CHAMPION!!!! Again he met his fans and signed stuff. I was prepared this time and took my pickguard with me. Needless to say I went to both shows and stood in the same spot everytime, less than a arms length away. I reckon he slaped my hand, but I can't be sure as I was in awe that most of it seems like a dream!
So... he MIGHT have played in Ballarat with Barnesy because that was before the dates that Kid posted. You would probably have to check a Barnesy site to confirm it.
Hope that helps a bit, Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
sidelakebob

sidelakebob

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 12:19 pm

This is the power of the forum! Great work Kid and Pete.
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 2:07 pm

I'm working on a timeline (live shows, etc), and here are the dates I have for your part of the world. Any additions or corrections are most welcome!

09/29/81 Capitol Theatre Sydney, Australia
10/01/81 A.N.U. Canberra, Australia
10/03/81 Cloudlands Brisbane, Australia
10/07/81t Dallas Brookes Hall Melbourne, Australia
10/08/81 Thebarton Town Hall Adelaide, Australia
10/10/81 Embassy Ballroom Perth, Australia
----------------------------------------------------------------------
12/ /90 “Hey Hey It’s Saturday” tv Australia (playback Cross of Love)
12/ Gold Coast, Australia
12/ Brisbane, Australia
12/ Canberra, Australia
12/ Perth, Australia
12/ Newcastle, Australia
12/04/90 Memorial Drive Adelaide, Australia (support for Jimmy Barnes)
12/06/90 Video shoot for “Little Darlin” (by J.Barnes)
National Tennis Centre, Melbourne
12/06/90 The Palace Nightclub Melbourne, Australia
12/7& 8 National Tennis Centre Melbourne (support for J. Barnes)
12/ Selinas Club, Coogee Bay Sydney, Australia
12/10 & 11 Entertainment Centre Sydney(support for J. Barnes)
12/ Auckland, New Zealand
12/ Wellington, New Zealand
12/ Christchurch, New Zealand
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02/27/91 White Sands Perth, Australia
02/28/91 Berlin Club Northbridge, Perth, Australia 03/01/91 Herdsman Perth, Australia
03/02/91 Old Melbourne Hotel Perth, Australia
03/04 & 5 Bridgeway Hotel Adelaide, Australia
03/07 & 8 The Palace Nightclub St. Kilda, Melbourne, Australia
03/09/91 Village Green Hotel Mount Waverly, Australia
03/10/91 Transformers Melbourne, Australia
03/12/91 The Palais Newcastle, Australia
03/14/91 Transformers Brisbane, Australia
03/15/91 Beenleigh Tavern Beenleigh (Brisbane), Australia
03/16/91 Fisherman’s Wharf Gold Coast (Brisbane), Australia
03/17/91 Stewarts Hotel Sunshine Coast, Alexandria Headlands
03/19/91 St. George’s Leagues Club Sydney, Australia
03/20/91 Selina’s (t-shirt says 3/22 & 23) Coogee (Sydney)03/20/91 airdate? “Live on the Wireless” FM show W-Club, Perth, Australia
03/23/91 Waves (tour t-shirt says 3/20) Woollongong (Sydney), 03/24/91 Penrith Leagues Club Sydney, Australia

I will check the posts above for new information. Thanks again!

Waitin' for Wildcat's post,
Scatman
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 2:30 pm

NosePickin Pete:

You mention a 12/3/90 gig at Transformers...........
What city was this in?

Kid:
On 3/24/91 you listed Bankstown Sports Club.
Is this the same as Penrith Leagues Club in Sydney that I have on my list?

Ooby Dooby,
Scatman
Back to top Go down
WildCat

WildCat

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Scatman wrote:
Waitin' for Wildcat's post,
Scatman
Awwww..... you know I just love you, Alex! I love you

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 4:08 pm

Now, I've not been to any of these places (having only been in Australia for a couple years), but a lot of them appear to be nightclubs and pubs and the likes. Anybody know how these venues compare, sizewise, to venues the Cats have played elsewhere (like the US for example)? Are they smaller? It looks like they worked their guts out on that 91 tour, even coming as far north as the Sunshine Coast. Wouldn't that have been awesome...
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 4:54 pm

andi wrote:
Now, I've not been to any of these places (having only been in Australia for a couple years), but a lot of them appear to be nightclubs and pubs and the likes. Anybody know how these venues compare, sizewise, to venues the Cats have played elsewhere (like the US for example)? Are they smaller? It looks like they worked their guts out on that 91 tour, even coming as far north as the Sunshine Coast. Wouldn't that have been awesome...

Yes Andi, alot of those venues are pubs and clubs and small concert halls.. However, they would still hold quite a number of people (a few hundred and more).. plus small venues are better anyway I reckon. The supports for Jimmy Barnes are very large venues.

Scatman - I'm not sure about the names of those venues. I am pretty sure Bankstown and Penrith are two different places. I have never been to Sydney though so I can't be sure.

Kid.
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 4:59 pm

Kid Setzer wrote:
small venues are better anyway I reckon.

No doubt! It would be incredibly cool to see them in a small venue. I found a petition online to get them to come to Australia (you signed it last, I think!) but reading through the posts it looks like it's been online for 2 years! Wouldn't it be great though?
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 5:23 pm

andi wrote:
Kid Setzer wrote:
small venues are better anyway I reckon.

No doubt! It would be incredibly cool to see them in a small venue. I found a petition online to get them to come to Australia (you signed it last, I think!) but reading through the posts it looks like it's been online for 2 years! Wouldn't it be great though?

Oh yes, I found the petition while looking for Stray Cats Aussie tour dates. Woah 2 years! Haha I did sign a petition like that 2 years ago - I didn't know it was the same one! Razz I've found that alot of Australian 'Cats fans aren't very vocal and tend to stay hidden.. so alot of them never sign these petitions, or they never know about the petition in the first place!

Kid.
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Hey Scatman,
Nose Pickin' Pete?!?!?! Tommy has some explainin to do!! haha!!
That gig from December 3 1990, was at Transformers Adelaide. This is the nightclub situated at the Bridgeway Hotel. That may have caused some confusion because it can be/is called either one.
Like I said that, was the gig the night before the Tour with Jimmy Barnes and MY life changing gig!
Cheers Pete.
P.S. Notice NO Nose Pickin!!! hahaha!!
P.S.S. Great forum run by a great guy with great members!
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:57 pm

P.S. I have the episode of them playing on " Hey, Hey It's Saturday" on video. They played Cross Of Love, and Brian looked pretty pissed off! I don't know if it's because they had to lip synch or what, but at one stage you can see brian obviousily strumming in a different rythem than what's being heard! haha!!
P.S.S. Does anyone remember seeing them play Bring It Back at an outdoor concert/festival with Brian wearing a yellow drape jacket on tv? If I'm not wrong I think it had a crucifix on the back of it?
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 8:59 pm

FingerPickin Pete:

Thanks for the info re Transformers........the Aussie dates have always intrigued me, and one of my
favorite ticket stubs in the collection is from Dallas Brookes Hall in Melbourne from October 1981.

As for the Bring it Back performance, you might be thinking of their appearance at the World Music Video Awards (April 14, 1989) broadcast from Toronto, Canada. Setzer sang a live vocal against a backing track. Does this sound like the clip you're talking about?

Ooby Dooby,
Scatman
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Hey Scatman,
Yeah, that does fit the time frame because I remember the girl I saw that on tv with at the time that it aired! I was busy before and directely after, but definately NOT during that clip! I remember I sat up and watched it intently and she couldn't understand what my obsession was with watching the tv at THAT moment!! hahaha!! Ahh, the good old days!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
paulmcc

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 2:52 am

Pete you are a champion! The dates match and they could have used the ballarat gig as a shake down. Civic Hall in Ballarat held about 1000? people I think and was pretty intimate although the sound left a bit to be desired. It still stands but hasn't seen a band for about 10 years. I'll keep investigating and let you guys know what I find out.
Thanks heaps to everyone!!
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 6:41 pm

Hey aussie fans,
thanks for sharing with us your memories; the informations about australian gigs are precious;
Alex, you (we) gonna update (y)our timeline! That's why I like this board.

FrenchyCat
Back to top Go down
AussieSam

AussieSam

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? EmptySun Jun 08, 2008 10:24 pm

I remember the Hey Hey Its Sat gig Pete, from memory Brian came back on and was a judge on Red Faces that night also, had the song on video somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??   Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has Brian Setzer played Ballarat??
Page 1 of 1