The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Song suggestions for the BSO?

Go down 
+55
Kid Setzer
StanTheMan
Scatman
Ponczek007
Shakin Seethings
Davy Jones
stray matt
Pirate Paul
SINGERSOCIETY
jbhtexas
Crazy Arms
brent
stevelucille
Mark Suede
Danny_Wilde
rg9l@libero.it
WildCat
Kiki
davidlisa
Demchenko
Madman
therealdeal
radiationsteve
drtiehead
El Perro
johnny61
cfunke
masbirras
Alex Cash
EskimoPie
DEXTER
BluesSinger212
crazycatlady
GuitarMan
Mikey
bigshampoo
Hot Rod Buick
Christel
donpepe
Sharky
coonman
Twenty Flight Rick
Crazy Mixed Up Kid
Setzerado
steve91386
TommyM
Budgie
rickabilly
Diggey
Galaxie59
laurent327
wee mark
webelvis
Chillicat
ratpack
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
radiationsteve

radiationsteve

Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 3:53 pm

ratpack wrote:
Anybody up for a straight blues album? Brian could do all his own versions of classic blues tunes or mix it up with some other players like Buddy Guy, B.B. King, etc.

Hey, and how about the BSO with strings?! A classy romantic album in the same vein as Sinatra or Charlie Parker's strings album (or any of the other greats).

AMEN BROTHER TO THE BLUES ALBUM!!! A dream album would be a kind of Love Sculpture's 'Blues Helping' with some b b king and Chuck Berry thrown in....with special guests Dave Edmunds and Little Richard!!! iS THAT ASKIN' TOO MUCH???!! Twisted Evil

Radiation-i believetomysoul-abilly farao
Back to top Go down
cfunke

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 10:49 pm

drtiehead wrote:
I think I would have a lot of supporters here when I say that I have been dying to have the BSO do the next James Bond opening title song for the new movie.

I think a whole album of classic Bond songs would be amazing. Live and let die, Thunderball, Living Daylights, Goldfinger, A View to a Kill, Nobody Does it Better to name a few.

I'd settle for him to just do the Bond score. Bond themes tend to be hit or miss generally but that orchestral theme with the guitar is always a killer.
Back to top Go down
therealdeal

therealdeal

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 16, 2008 10:16 pm

Yes, I totally think that Brian Setzer should make a blues album. It would be so awesome! Just imagine Brian doing his own twists to a Stevie Ray Vaughn song! Very Happy It would be cool if he did an album with Robert Cray or Joe Bonamassa! afro
Back to top Go down
BluesSinger212

BluesSinger212

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 17, 2008 1:40 am

Brian - If you DO decide to do a blues album, I will gladly volunteer to play harp for you....for free!

Wink

PS: The BSO version of "House Is A-Rockin'" kicked @$$!!!! SRV's "Crossfire" would be a great cover, and I would like to hear Brian tackle "Change It", as it's my favorite SRV song.
Back to top Go down
BluesSinger212

BluesSinger212

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 17, 2008 1:49 am

cfunke wrote:

Also, I'd love for him to record Got to Get You Into My Life by the Beatles. He used to perform it live and it kicks all form of @$$.

I almost forgot about that song! I had recorded a radio broadcast of the BSO at the Roxy in Boston at the time of The Dirty Boogie release. That was the first time I heard that song and from that point on, when I hear the Beatles' version of it, I change the station. BSO's version was way better and much more cool(er).

Wink
Back to top Go down
Madman

Madman

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 4:35 pm

All these wonderful suggestions Cool

What about "Should I stay or should go"?

I still reckon that Brian is an excellent songwriter/composer/arranger and if he has to cover all these songs we may be deprived of hearing his (still developing) talent.

Keep Rockin'
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 2:33 am

I'd settle for him to just do the Bond score. Bond themes tend to be hit or miss generally but that orchestral theme with the guitar is always a killer.[/quote]

Great comment, but i think you just sent Brian into recluse with a guitar, parchment and pen!!!! Score should be ready by next Easter... lol

Mikey x
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Demchenko

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 4:50 am

I think that some Sinatra`s old songs (like Lady is a Tramp,Road to Mandalay,I Get no Kick etc) can be crazy nice like rockin` versions by BSO

From Russia with love
Vladimir

Last edited by Demchenko on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady

crazycatlady

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 7:18 pm

Another cool song would be "If Swing Goes, I Go Too." written by Fred Astaire. Rosemary Clooney recodred it with the Count Basie Orchestra 10 years ago and it SWINGS! I'd love to hear BSO play it!
Back to top Go down
BluesSinger212

BluesSinger212

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 1:07 am

I just thought of another one: "Blues In the Night" by Quincy Jones - it was featured on the Ocean's 11 (remake) soundtrack. Brian, that would DEFINITELY be up your alley!

Wink
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 9:02 am

I'm very sorry and I do not want to offend anybody but I must say that I find most of these suggestions simply horrible. I don't know, maybe my musical taste is just different or at least I hear things different.

Anyway, sorry but I had to let this out. Laughing
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 1:42 pm

donpepe wrote:
I'm very sorry and I do not want to offend anybody but I must say that I find most of these suggestions simply horrible. I don't know, maybe my musical taste is just different or at least I hear things different.

Anyway, sorry but I had to let this out. Laughing

I feel your pain, DonPepe! Smile But the conversational nature of forums like these tend to drive threads in certain directions. For example, I wouldn't have offered up anything about Bond or Amy Winehouse had it not been previously mentioned. Someone mentioned Dave Brubeck (it's hard for me to imagine a Brubeck cover without piano) and so several like-minded responses followed. It's not that Dave Brubeck would have come to mind immediately for most people, but when you read it, it's hard not to get caught up in the "Oh yeah! Speaking of Brubeck..." Or if someone mentions a blues project, 10 people who might not have posted that chime in with their additions to the conversation.

There are a lot of pop ballads (Rosemary Clooney, Nat King Cole, Sinatra, anything with strings) and jazz numbers listed on this thread. But this kind of mellow/borderline easy-listening stuff only makes up a small part of the BSO catalog. Maybe people think that it would be the natural progression from a less rockin' album like Wolfgang. Certainly, there's room for at least one of these mellow standards on an album. I do love that first BSO album, which definitely has an older feel to it.

Hopefully, the next BSO album will return to a mixture of styles, free from any theme or concept. That way, there's something for everybody. This topic is about cover tunes, but I love those rockin' originals, like Switchblade 327, Ghost Radio, and Drive Like Lightning (Crash Like Thunder). Are there any Stray Cats tunes Brian hasn't re-vamped BSO style you would like to hear? Lucky Charm, perhaps?

Rock-bop-a-doo-wop-surf-a-twang-a-swing-a-lounge-a-jazz-a-billy
Back to top Go down
davidlisa

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 8:17 pm

how about a whole album of surf music. the ventures, walk dont run, tequila,hawaii five-o,wipe out, the surfaris, surfer joe, dick dale,miser lou
Back to top Go down
BluesSinger212

BluesSinger212

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 12:24 am

rickabilly wrote:
....This topic is about cover tunes, but I love those rockin' originals, like Switchblade 327, Ghost Radio, and Drive Like Lightning (Crash Like Thunder). Are there any Stray Cats tunes Brian hasn't re-vamped BSO style you would like to hear? Lucky Charm, perhaps?

Rock-bop-a-doo-wop-surf-a-twang-a-swing-a-lounge-a-jazz-a-billy

I'm with you, Rick. Guitar Slinger, I think, has to be my favorite album - in fact I had made a compilation CD for my car that had as many "driving", bad-ass songs from Brian Setzer as I could possibly put on a CD-R. Most of the tracks came from "Guitar Slinger". On a side note, before I have to go on stage, I sit in my car and I skip to "The Legend of Johnny Kool" (part 1) and crank up the volume and that's enough to get my pumped-up and ready to go on stage. To answer your question, I think I'd like to hear Brian cover some Stray Cats' tunes such as "Let's Go Faster", "Lucky Charm", "Baby Blue Eyes", "Cruisin'", and "Lonely Summer Nights".

Wink

PS: Rick, just HOW do you remember which "signature" you HAVEN'T used Laughing I like your style, man. I wish I thought of it, haha
Back to top Go down
Kiki

Kiki

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 9:50 am

Don't know if this has been previously stated, but Brian has proved that he can handle anything from Rockabilly to classical. So, whatever the next album(s) is/are, they will be impressed with his signature style, and that's why we're all here, isn't it? Whatever the creative flame is that burns within him, it sure does yield some of the best music in the UNIVERSE! Cool
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 9:57 am

This a tougher topic than it seems. I try to think of tunes that have horns already for Brian to cover, but then I realize some of his best stuff comes from tunes that were nowhere near a horn section before the BSO got ahold of 'em.

BluesSinger212 wrote:
I had made a compilation CD for my car that had as many "driving", bad-ass songs from Brian Setzer as I could possibly put on a CD-R.

And how many speeding tickets do you have? Very Happy

BluesSinger212 wrote:
PS: Rick, just HOW do you remember which "signature" you HAVEN'T used Laughing I like your style, man. I wish I thought of it, haha

Thanks, Ken! I'm sure my style annoys as many people as it entertains. As far as the signature goes, I don't remember what I've used before. I just count on the fact that many Setzer fans like myself are quite a bit older than you, and they're starting to forget things more easily. elephant

Now where the heck did I put my keys? scratch

Too young to quit, too old to change-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Kiki

Kiki

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 10:02 am

rickabilly wrote:
I just count on the fact that many Setzer fans like myself are quite a bit older than you, and they're starting to forget things more easily. elephant

You can count me in the category. Heck, I'm older than Setzer! Spose he would mind if I called him, "little bro"?
Back to top Go down
ratpack

ratpack

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 10:21 am

How about "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't (My Baby)" by Louis Jordan? You know, the one Tom from the "Tom & Jerry" cartoon used to croon. Cool cat
Back to top Go down
BluesSinger212

BluesSinger212

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 2:12 pm

rickabilly wrote:

BluesSinger212 wrote:
I had made a compilation CD for my car that had as many "driving", bad-ass songs from Brian Setzer as I could possibly put on a CD-R.

And how many speeding tickets do you have? Very Happy

None....yet Cool

rickabilly wrote:
BluesSinger212 wrote:

Thanks, Ken! I'm sure my style annoys as many people as it entertains. As far as the signature goes, I don't remember what I've used before. I just count on the fact that many Setzer fans like myself are quite a bit older than you, and they're starting to forget things more easily. elephant

I actually skim through to threads to see what you come up with next, lol. I maybe 24, but sometimes MY memory slips in and out. My body maybe 24, but I'm REALLY 58.

Wink

PS: How about "Viva, Las Vegas" by Elvis?
Back to top Go down
WildCat

WildCat

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 2:33 pm

rickabilly wrote:
Who you calling old, mister? Evil or Very Mad Wink

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: Not getting older, getting better   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 4:11 pm

I'm 39 but my favorite song is still Sexy & 17... which helps keeps me 17 in my head forever I love you
Back to top Go down
Chillicat

Chillicat

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 4:53 pm

ratpack wrote:
How about "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't (My Baby)" by Louis Jordan? You know, the one Tom from the "Tom & Jerry" cartoon used to croon. Cool cat

That would be awesome... you just can't go wrong with a little Louis Jordan... I mean come on... "Aint nobody here but us chickens" or... OH... "Caldonia" would be kick.ass!lol

sorry, i get excited easilly about music, which come to think of it is pretty much why we're all here, so on second thought i don't apologize...

The reason i like threads like this, and why i bet brian might like reading them as well, is that it might give him ideas Idea or remind me of a song that i've forgotten about.

cat
C
Back to top Go down
rg9l@libero.it

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 5:37 pm

Can I suggest ''That'll gonna be the day'' by Buddy Holly, ''Hello Mary Lou'', ''You're so square'', ''Jailhouse Rock'', ''Bama Lama Loo''?

Queen did play these songs in the 70s in a rock n' roll medley...I think the BSO could do an amazing job!
Back to top Go down
http://paulvsgodzilla.googlepages.com/backintrack
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 5:52 pm

I can't quite picture some of those tunes with horns, especially Hello, Mary Lou and That'll Be the Day. But if Ray Charles can re-invent Country and Western songs, why not? Bama Lama Bama Lou would absolutely scream with horns, though. As long as Brian didn't have to do the Little Richard "Wooooo's", it would rock! Brian did do Hello, Mary Lou in a trio set during the 2004 BSO Japan tour.

Speaking of Little Richard, The Girl Can't Help It would be a great choice, in my opinion. There's no unreachable "Woooo's" in that one. Someone needs to show Fergie how to properly work that song.

There's nothing that says the entire BSO has to be involved in an arrangement. And who's to say that a Brian Setzer album has to be all BSO? What about a mixture of settings? Ray Charles had an album where one side was ballads with strings and the other side had swingin' classics like Let the Good Times Roll.

Viva variety-billy
Back to top Go down
Danny_Wilde

Danny_Wilde

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 3:10 pm

An orchestra version of "Rockabilly world" would be nice.The main guitar lick in this song would sound great for horns and the breaks, too!
Lust`n`Love of course, too!!!
Don´t forget about the great "Jade Idol"!! a great instrumental!
"Let yourself go" from Elvis in a straight special Gretsch/Orchestra sound....could be sound great. (I like minor tunes... Very Happy )
A rockin´ orchestra version from " A big hunk o´love ...

too many to list... Very Happy

Greetz, Tommi
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/tommi75
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Song suggestions for the BSO?   Song suggestions for the BSO? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Song suggestions for the BSO?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next