The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your first concert?

Go down 
+50
johnnykool327
burner1
therealdeal
BlastOff
larocka
Eddie Lee
andi
alka-setzer
onefin
LBD
tajon
Bear85
ArtVandelay
greasedupcruiser
sidelakebob
Serena
Summerz
Mikey
Pompado'er
1959str
Banksy
Madman
lisathegreaser
Setzerado
StanTheMan
The G-Man
cvc
Scatman
Doesy
lonesomecat
Bigbassape
vic
Chillicat
Niblos
Pirate Paul
Rich
Patrick
rickabilly
Budgie
DEXTER
bogusbill
radiationsteve
Kid Setzer
EskimoPie
Gloria
Amity
TommyM
WildCat
PICKIN' PETE
Hotrodtodd
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
greasedupcruiser

greasedupcruiser

Your first concert? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 3:01 am

My first gig was King Kurt at guildford university 1986,it was a messy do and painfull,had my nose busted and a mate cracked a rib.
Back to top Go down
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 3:37 am

The Eagles Farwell 1 tour. Yeah Im pretty young, but I've seen a lot of bands since them and they are by far the best live band I know of. Unlike bands today who sound like a cat in a blender. affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 pm

greasedupcruiser wrote:
My first gig was King Kurt at guildford university 1986,it was a messy do and painfull,had my nose busted and a mate cracked a rib.

Successful gig then?

I loved those hazy crazy days.

King Kurts BIg Cock is out

Mikey
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Sha Na Na in about 1979 - I was 12 at the time. Went with my mom! The Shirelles opened for them. It was a very fun show.

I have to tell you about my kids' first concert. My two oldest have been fed a pretty steady diet of Stray Cats and BSO for the past few years. Tix for the 2006 BSO Christmas show in Green Bay went on sale at 10 am on a Sunday morning in October. I bought them online in the church office between worship and Sunday School - no kidding!

So my wife and I didn't tell the kids. The show was right before Thanksgiving. We all went out to dinner to "celebrate Christmastime coming". So after we ate we drove over to the show, and the kids never questioned why we were going into this big building - they were just following Mommy and Daddy! Then my 9-y.o. daughter saw the Gretsch booth with the big banner of Brian behind it, and she turned to me with her mouth open, and was absolutely speechless. It was awesome!

It took about another half-hour for the doors to open, and we discovered that my clandestine ticket-buy from the church secretary's computer had paid off : second row, absolutely dead center. We were blown away. The kids had never experienced that kind of volume before. Fortunately we had brought earplugs along for them. My 5-y.o. son crawled into my lap shortly after the show started, saw the Grinch about 20 minutes into the show, then FELL ASLEEP! I remember looking up at Brian, only about ten feet away from me, and thinking, "Can he see this? While he's in the middle of rockin' out, is he aware that there's a little kid asleep in the second row?"

After the show, we waited for the people to clear out a bit before I hauled my snoozy little sack of potatoes out to the car. I get him snapped into his car seat, and he wakes up, and says to me:

"I'm gonna remember this night for the rest of my life!"

I still get a little misty thinking about that. It was truly a great night.

Rock on,
Bear85
Back to top Go down
tajon

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 5:20 pm

nothing to fantastic here but Stone Temple Pilots with Jawbox and the Meat Puppets when I was 16.
Back to top Go down
LBD

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 11:06 am

Niblos wrote:
Billy Idol Charlotte, NC on the Rebel Yell tour in '84 at age 14. Opener was the Pressure Boys. Second show was openers Fabulous Thunderbirds (with Jimmy Vaughan) and Brian Setzer & the Radiation Ranch, Norfolk, Va 1986. Third show was back to Charlotte for Billy Idol's Whiplash Smile tour with The Cult Electric tour. After that it gets a bit fuzzy.

I have been very blessed!

The Pressure Boys, they are getting back together for a 20th anniversary show/Cystic Fibrosis fundraiser in Chapel Hill soon.

My first show was Van Halen 1984, Raliegh NC.
Back to top Go down
onefin

onefin

PostSubject: Concerts?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptySat May 10, 2008 1:07 am

1st Queen
2nd The Gears, Black Flag, Social D, DK, THe Dickies,Toy Dolls, The Cramps, Gen X, Die Krutzen, The Femmes, The Grim, I dont remember I was pretty much out of it from about 1978 to 1986
1983 Stray Cats at the US Festival

Does anyone Remeber the Speedsters?
Back to top Go down
alka-setzer

alka-setzer

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptySat May 10, 2008 1:19 am

My first was Willie Nelson I think it was 1980 (on the road again)
Second was George Thorogood( seen him twice now)

Unfortunatley somehow Ive never got to see Stray Cats or the BSO
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptySat May 24, 2008 6:58 pm

I'm late to the thread but I love reading stuff like this so I figured I'd resurrect it.

My first concert was the Beach Boys after a Padres game at Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego, probably in the early 80's (don't remember exactly- I was 10 or younger.) We were there to see the game, not the show, but stuck around for it anyway, so my first concert was basically an accident. Much as I wanted to see the Cats in 83 or the Jacksons Victory Tour in 84, I wasn't allowed. I don't remember what the first concert was that I attended because I actually wanted to, but it might well have been the Monkees 20th anniversary tour in 1987.

It was all downhill from there, in high school I got into hairbands and went and saw Slaughter and Winger open for Kiss. Shocked I balanced it out by skipping school one day (the only time I ever did) to catch the train with my band geek friends to go see Phantom of the Opera in LA.
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
Eddie Lee

Eddie Lee

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptySun May 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Guitar? What guitar? Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://www.thefunnbrothers.com
Amity

Amity

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 26, 2008 1:13 pm

andi wrote:
to catch the train with my band geek friends to go see Phantom of the Opera in LA.

Band Geek right here. Even better senior year I was drum major. Played the flute. Band was awesome. Best times, best people, best excuses to get out of class.
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Yep! I was in tall flags the first two years and in the drumline the second two years of high school, section leader my senior year. Wish I still played drums Wink

(For anyone not familiar with tall flags, click here.)
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
Amity

Amity

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Andi thats awesome.

My husband was a drummer thats how we met. Corny but its true. Married my high school sweetheart.
Back to top Go down
WildCat

WildCat

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 26, 2008 6:57 pm

How funny. We just called them flags when I was in high school. Yep, band geek here too, I played clarinet (and was section leader too).

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
larocka

larocka

PostSubject: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptySat May 31, 2008 8:22 am

Hello!

My first concert was The Stray Cats of course! (see my avatar)
It was in 1984 I was 15 and by chance they were performing at a festival in Salon de Provence (South of France), not very far from where I was spending my summer holiday.
I couldn't believe my father allowed me to go and I was really thrilled by the atmosphere: it was in a castle, there were lots of devastatingly gorgeous rockabilly guys and seeing the Cats for real was just........wow!
Oh I wish I had bought a camera to keep more vivid memories but I remember that I couldn't get my eyes off THE BRIAN Embarassed and that I was furiously singing, dancing and shouting along!!
A great memory and the first of several Stray Cats concerts -I don't want this to end in September...
Back to top Go down
BlastOff

BlastOff

PostSubject: First Concert   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 5:20 pm

The Violent Femmes at an outdoor show in rural Wisconsin

First show of my choosing, Less Than Jake in Milwaukee Wi.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samkieffer
therealdeal

therealdeal

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 8:39 pm

The first official concert I went to was a Gordon Lightfoot(I think I spelled that right) concert, and the one before that was an Army Air Force band concert or something like that. Gordon was pretty good, and I sat in the third row. Army Air Force Band was general seating and think I got front row seats. Both were tons of FUN! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
burner1

burner1

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 9:17 pm

This thread definitely slipped through the cracks...
First concert was around 81, I think: THE Allman Bros at Seton Hall University in S. Orange, NJ.
The following year I saw the Ramones opening for David Johansen at Ramapo College in Mahwah, NJ.
I've never heard or seen anyone play as fast as the Ramones... still amazed all these years later. See, college was worthwhile afterall.
Back to top Go down
http://www.burnersrock.com
johnnykool327

johnnykool327

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 1:33 am

my first was actually the Brian Setzer Orchestra at the Roy Wilkins Arena back in 1996, I think it was on the Dirty Boogie Tour in St. Paul,MN.

11 years later, in the building that was built next door, I got engaged during the Stray Cats concert.

I will be married in 80 days, and will see the Brian Setzer Orchestra again 2 and a half months after that.

BK
Back to top Go down
http://www.mywedding.com/bkandjenny
burner1

burner1

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 10:42 am

hey BK, best of luck with the wedding. Mine will be August 9th - now if we could just get THE BSO to play in Orlando!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.burnersrock.com
swinginwoody

swinginwoody

PostSubject: First Concert   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:31 am

My first concert was Elton John back in the fall of 1972. This was a few years before EJ exploded and became the flamboyant Captain Fantastic. EJ wore a modest purple glitter suit and a yellow shirt. "Rocketman" was hit of the time and he was just starting to promote a catchy new tune called "Crocodile Rock", from his new, upcoming album. I've seen Elton at least 5 more times since.
Back to top Go down
shaker

shaker

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:13 pm

My first big concert was at Randwick Racecourse in 1970 (maybe '71).
Three headlining bands: Deep Purple, Free & Manfred Manns Earthband.
I remember the ticket price was around $3 Shocked
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:36 pm

My first concert was Kiss in 1980 (I think). It was at the Adelaide Oval for all you Cricket fans. I was 13 and went by myself, kinda explains a lot of things really affraid

RP

Last edited by pony65k on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:41 pm

Quote :
How about Gary Cherone? That poor bastard walked into a bad situation and got turned into a punch line.

Jeez, I liked that Van Halen album. Love Gary Cherone. Can't wait for the new Extreme CD!!!

RP
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 12:43 pm

Shaker wrote:
My first big concert was at Randwick Racecourse in 1970 (maybe '71).
Three headlining bands: Deep Purple, Free & Manfred Manns Earthband.
I remember the ticket price was around $3 Shocked

Hey Shaker,
Nice ta meet ya. Not a GT man by chance? hahaha! Free, what a great band, trying to put Hush by Purple in our set list as well. Love that song!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your first concert?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Forum That Came Back From The Dead :: WELCOME TO THE TWILIGHT ZONE :: GUITAR RELATED DISCUSSION-
Jump to: