The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Christmas Tour

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Snowman

Christmas Tour Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Tour   Christmas Tour EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:10 pm

I've been following the BSO for many years now. As a trumpet player and former Big Band leader myself I was initially skeptical of the concept of a guitar player fronting a BB. Needless to say....I've been hooked on everything this guy has been up to for about a decade now. I'm not a hero worshiper, a typical music groupie (I'm 51 and teach instrumental music at a high school in Canada) nor one who would normally participate in this type of forum but I'm so impressed with the music Brian turns out that I've got to put in my two cents. I've seen the BSO live 6 times now including the last 3 Christmas tours (I always catch him in Detroit as I live close to the border) I'll limit my comments to this most recent tour... As an old Big Band junkie, I've always been interested in the sidemen that make up the BSO and was always checking to see who was filling what chair as they both recorded and toured. Like probably every BSO fan out there, I was more than a bit disappointed when I read Bernie Dressel wasn't going to tour anymore. Much more than a time beater, he was a pleasure to watch. I can't think of anyone I've seen who looked like they loved what they did more than Bernie. Of course I was more than curious who was going to replace him so as soon as they introduced Tony Pia....like most, I was Googling his name to find out more about him. As soon as I read that he had played for the late Maynard Ferguson, there was no question that he would have the chops to fill the spot. The Boss always hired the best talent. Now that I've seen him.....wow !!! what a great addition! I initially felt bad for the guy having to fill the shoes of such a fan favorite as Bernie was but the orchestra hasn't missed a beat and he can hold his head high. I hope Tony sticks around for a long time ! Next I was wondering what on earth happened to Willie Murillo who'd been on lead trumpet for some time. Again, I couldn't imagine the orchestra without the guy but Steve Reid....WOW !I can't say enough things about his playing. Overall, I felt that this last Christmas tour was musically, the absolute best I've heard. (and I've liked them all) While I hope they continue the Christmas tour for many more years, I can certainly see that it is exremely taxing for all concerned and cross my fingers each year for one more. Now about the man himself....pure class and an extreme talent. If they had X-games for guitar players, he'd be right there at the front of the pack. Unlike most, I don't get into arguments about who the best player of any particular instrument is (a totally unwinable argument anyway) but needless to say, this guy is a world-class picker. I'm in awe of his talent. As a leader he's so cool, so in-control and a pleasure to watch. Last year, I took my wife and two sons to the Christmas show in Detroit and as they were returning to their seats as the warm -up act played, they met Brian in the hallway who stopped them, spoke to them and gave them each a guitar pick. Needless to say, my kids are BIG Setzer fans !. Better sign off and let others in.....

Snowman
Back to top Go down
Pete C

Christmas Tour Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Tour   Christmas Tour EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi Snowman

We came from the UK to see two shows in the last Christmas Tour. Both were brilliant.
I also thought no-one would live up to Bernie's drumming, but, Wow! I have to say that Tony P was fantastic and really animated. I think he was the right choice. Met him after one of the NY gigs. He was quite happy to chat and pose for pics too. Nice guy.
Pity Big Kev and Willie M etc weren't there. They are great musicians and were missed. Hope they return for future concerts?

PS Great one liner, "I hope Tony "sticks" around for a long time"!!!!!!

Last edited by on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eddie Lee

Eddie Lee

Christmas Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Tour   Christmas Tour EmptyThu Feb 14, 2008 11:48 pm

We caught them in Chicago. I, too, left impressed with Tony as well as the different feel to the show. The trio segment was excellent as they played some different stuff this year. Caravan is amazing, let alone Route 66!
Anyway, Snow, keep teaching them there young'n's music. They'll always remember it, no matter what level they attain. I'd suggest playing some of the of the BSO DVD's for them every once in a while, use the excuse, "OK, here's an example of what I mean when I say Swing It!" cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.thefunnbrothers.com
Sponsored content

Christmas Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Tour   Christmas Tour Empty

Back to top Go down

Christmas Tour
Page 1 of 1