The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I'm looking for a live recording

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
El Perro

El Perro

I'm looking for a live recording Empty
PostSubject: I'm looking for a live recording   I'm looking for a live recording EmptyThu Feb 14, 2008 7:25 pm

of the BSO show from the 97/98 New Years Eve gig at The Warfield. The orchestra ripped into Led Zeppelin's Black Dog at midnight. As far as I know, this is the only time that they played this long live. I don't need the whole show, but I'd love to have that cover version.
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a live recording   I'm looking for a live recording EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 12:16 am

It was earlier than that - 12-31-95, I believe. There was an early version of Hey, Louie Prima, called Hey, Lorena, along with a version of Black Dog. When people are suggesting Dave Brubeck, Gershwin, or some other reasonably mellow jazz tunes for the BSO to cover, it gives me pause, because I remember those Guitar Slinger days, when the big band was really rockin'. Wasn't there a Mark-n-Brian radio appearance where they broke into Zeppelin as well?

Gonna Make You Sweat, Gonna Make You Groove-a-billy
Back to top Go down
El Perro

El Perro

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a live recording   I'm looking for a live recording EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 3:08 pm

rickabilly wrote:
It was earlier than that - 12-31-95, I believe. There was an early version of Hey, Louie Prima, called Hey, Lorena, along with a version of Black Dog. When people are suggesting Dave Brubeck, Gershwin, or some other reasonably mellow jazz tunes for the BSO to cover, it gives me pause, because I remember those Guitar Slinger days, when the big band was really rockin'. Wasn't there a Mark-n-Brian radio appearance where they broke into Zeppelin as well?

Gonna Make You Sweat, Gonna Make You Groove-a-billy

Yeah, I think you're right. I went to two Warfield NYE shows and I get them mixed up a bit. The 95 NYE show was far more aggressive as I can recall. Reverend Horton Heat opened the show and this was just before the neo-swing/big band thing reached the mainstream, so the boys were far more hungry. I'd love to find some live recording from those days.

There's another thread here that asks for suggestions of cover songs/genres. I suggested that they try an album of hard rock classics, done big band style. Others have tried it (Pat Boone?) but have failed spectacularly. I think Brian could finally do it right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a live recording   I'm looking for a live recording Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm looking for a live recording
Page 1 of 1