The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?

Go down 
+24
Mikey
carboncat
Mark Suede
Setzerado
SwanseaCity
rockabilly guy
kbilly
Bigbassape
Buddyrocker
Bear85
rg9l@libero.it
ash
ufopsi
Eddie Lee
El Perro
cosbird
Amity
brett
therealdeal
Hellvis
andi
Gloria
ArtVandelay
MEMPHISSUN
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mikey

Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?   Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Where would i start? OK:

1. Bobby Darin (without a shadow of a doubt Bobby is the best vocalist that ever lived -opinion)
2. Buddy Holly (way ahead of his time)
3. Dion DiMucci (Somenody tell me he ISN'T the Brian Setzer of day - guitar excluded of course)
4. Everly Brothers (Angels with dirty braces - lol)
5. Gene Vincent (sweet, sweet Gene Vincent and his mellow tones)
6. Eddie Cochran (what!! Like I need a reason to pick this cat?)
7. Elvis Presley (Everything he sang, he sang perfectly)
8. Roy Orbison (his velvet voice can reduce me to tears)
9. Ray Charles (Listen to 'Here Am I' it makes the hairs on your neck stand on end)
10. Wynonie Harris (anybody who devotes his entire sonbook to whisky can't be all bad)
11. Nat Cole (Sweet Lorraine makes me cry and Walkin' My Baby Back Home is amazing - so is his voice)
12. Ella Fitzgerald (Scatgal extrordinair, with a beautiful tone to her voice)
13. Etta James (when ya just need a gal to rock)
14. Wanda Jackson (a female... with balls)
15. Cliff Richard (He really WAS our answer to Elvis. fave song - When the Girl inYour Arms)
16. Chuck Berry (If we were talkin' guitars he'd be up there, vocally and songwriting he rocks)
17. Sammy Davis Jr (Listen to the RatPack and he takes off everyone and you can't tell who's singing - check out Sam's Song
18. Peggy Lee (Come on, Fever is goosepimpley)
19. Bing Crosby (remember, he had no benchmark, he was the first popstar - gotta respect that)
20. Little Richard (what a serously great voice he had)
21. Sam Cooke (Yet another beautiful velvet voice with great songs to deliver - i still sing Twistin' The Nite Away every weekend since 1990)
22. Jackie Wilson (Same as Sam Cooke - Reet petite still hits the charts today)

The non runners:

Here's a few who are exceptional in their field, but they just didn't do it for me!!!

1. Frankie Laine - (dunno, he just wasn't hip i guess)
2. Frank Sinatra (now i KNOW i've just made some enemies, but he really doesn't do it for me, although his phrasing is probably akin to Bobby Darin... if not better)
3. Bill Haley (although he brought the music to many he was just an old man who could carry a tune)
4. Lonnie Donegan (King of Skiffle, but a bit sour for me

And i know i've missed loads - Johnny Burnette, all the groups - Chiffons, Chordettes, Shirelles, Danny & Juniors etc Gene Chandler, Richie Valens, but where do you draw the line

Mikey (and his two cents)
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?   Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 5:58 pm

My favorite person from the 50's is James Dean.
But he was no singer as we all know.
I'd say Eddie Cochran.
He was the coolest!
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?   Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 9:40 am

The only note sinatra could hold was a $.

Rockabilly/roots rules.

king
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
ufopsi

ufopsi

PostSubject: Re: Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?   Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 2:53 pm

I love '50s music! In fact, I listen to many stuff from that period. My list features Ritchie Valens, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Duane Eddy, Platters, Frankie Lymon, Lonnie Donegan, Billy Lee Riley, Bo Diddley.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ufopsi.com
dallasg1

PostSubject: Re: Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?   Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 4:25 pm

gene vincent,elvis and eddie cochran,in no particular order....the 3 of them were just differant class.
as us rockabilly fans know there was tons of great acts goin round, carl perkins,buddy,ricky nelson johnny cash etc .i must admit apart from the 'modern' acts like the stray cats,paladins,rev etc, most of the modern stuff is just nonsense.
cant stick all that techno,thrash,hip hop crap.having said that , each to their own.
give me good 'ol rockabilly/rock n roll anyday.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?   Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Fats Domino!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The dude has one smoooooooooooooooth voice. I grew up listening to my Dad's Fat's LP's. Great music

René Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Summerz

Summerz

PostSubject: Re: Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?   Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 7:44 pm

I love Doowop Razz too many bands to mention.
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?   Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...? - Page 2 EmptySat May 26, 2012 8:06 pm

BUMP ... for the new members!.

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?   Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who are your fav singer/group from the 50"s...?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2