The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL

Go down 
+18
Pirate Paul
Budgiessister
RockinCat
Vinny
Davy Jones
Patrick
Budgie
carboncat
Kid Setzer
PICKIN' PETE
Mike
sidelakebob
Chillicat
ArtVandelay
PeroxideBlonde
Gloria
andi
TommyM
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL Empty
PostSubject: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:03 pm

So check this out......Sony finally made a device which will allow me to take vinyl records (remember them, kids?!) and turn them into MP3s. This means that all of the shelves full of Stray Cats and Setzer-related vinyl I've always wanted to share with you, I'll be able to! Who wants to hear the Cats interviewed back in 1982 on American radio? Anyone up for "Runaway Boys" without the echo????

I've just figured out how to work the thing, so give me a day or so to start blowing your minds with stuff that even the bootleggers ain't sold ya. The test I did was on Peter Frampton's "I'm In You" record from the glorious summer of 1977, but I don't reckon you guys wanna hear that, do ya?

It's a plain shame,
Tommy Mayo on the keyboards
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:12 pm

YOU. MY BEST FRIEND. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
Gloria

Gloria

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:39 pm

You're gonna be a busy man, Mr. T!! Can't wait to hear what you've got in store for us.
Back to top Go down
PeroxideBlonde

PeroxideBlonde

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:51 pm

Vinyl? Is that "those REALLY big CD's?" I think I remember them! ha ha!!!
This new technology to which you refer sounds AWESOME and I can't wait for you to share the goods from the Stray Cats/Setzer vaults!!
I just learned about flash drives about 2 weeks ago, so I hope the new technology will be easy as a point and a *click.*
--Chomping at the bit...
Back to top Go down
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:58 pm

How much does this toy cost? I have a box full of vinyl that just takes up space. (everything I want to keep is on my walls)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
Chillicat

Chillicat

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 1:50 am

Tommy,
the answer to all those questions... (except for maybe frampton... Suspect Wink lol)
OH HELL YES! Very Happy Laughing
cat
C
Back to top Go down
sidelakebob

sidelakebob

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 3:53 am

ArtVandelay wrote:
How much does this toy cost? I have a box full of vinyl that just takes up space. (everything I want to keep is on my walls)

Vinyl records is homedecoration in its finest form. Wink I´m ready for that -82 interview Tommy!
Back to top Go down
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 4:42 am

is this what you have???
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665361524&SR=sony_search_seo&SQS=vinyl
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:18 am

Hey Tommy,
Just a thought, buy another one and do a hip hop collage of the Cats songs!
Grand Master TommyM suit you! Turn ya quiff into a 'fro and wear your jeans half way down your legs and you're halfway there!!
Yo, yo Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:56 am

MC T-MAG!

I like it.

Razz

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
carboncat

carboncat

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 9:15 am

Hey Tommy
I remember buying that Peter Frampton LP back in the 70's he was the one that did the thing with the tube attached to the guitar,that you blew down if I remember right?
Can't wait for this cats stuff. I have loads of Stray Cats LP's some are bootlegs and the sound is crap.But the originals are OK.
All the Best
Carbon Cat UK
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 9:38 am

Two words:

"Sixteen Candles."

No more yankee my wankee,

Farmer Budge
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:45 am

You got it Budge.

"16 Candles" for you on this very night.

A long distance dedication going out to a guy who loves Heavy Metal but found a spot in his heart for 3 skinny guys from Massapequa.

Tommy Casem
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 12:09 pm

I tried reaching for the stars while keeping my feet on the ground and my pants fell down...

Long Budge Dong
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 12:22 pm

Mike wrote:
is this what you have???
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665361524&SR=sony_search_seo&SQS=vinyl

Yeah Mike, that's the unit. So far so good.
-Tommy
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 1:10 pm

TommyM wrote:
So check this out......Sony finally made a device which will allow me to take vinyl records (remember them, kids?!) and turn them into MP3s.

You're way behind haha!!
I've been doing that at least for 7 years.
I have a Philips audio recorder. Record my vinyls to cd.
Make the audio file mp3 with a program called Musicmatch on the pc.
Voila!
Ok, it takes longer I think but it works...
I have my parents 45's from the 50/60's on cd!
Jerry Lee, Cliff Richard, The Everlys all with scratches and noise.
Rock on!
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 1:43 pm

Patrick wrote:
You're way behind haha!!
I've been doing that at least for 7 years.
I have a Philips audio recorder. Record my vinyls to cd.
Make the audio file mp3 with a program called Musicmatch on the pc.
Voila!
Ok, it takes longer I think but it works...
I have my parents 45's from the 50/60's on cd!
Jerry Lee, Cliff Richard, The Everlys all with scratches and noise.
Rock on!

I have the Phillips as well, but this new Sony smokes it.

Nothing wrong with being way behind-a-billy,
T
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 2:00 pm

Sounds cool, can't wait to hear the stuff. In other words:

"Don't hesitate to show us the way to (more Setzer/BSO songs) if you feel like we do".

I actually like some of Peter Frampton's music as well. I think he fits the profile of being better as a guitarist than as a songwriter, though, and perhaps that's why he never really took off after the 70's. It's hard to say, the music business being what it is, and everything.

By the way the Frampton Les Paul is a really nice guitar, it's very rare to find Gibson's with 3 pickups. Of course the key to Frampton's sound is the talkbox, another neat toy. The trick with that piece of equipment, though, is keeping the tube attached to the microphone and mic stand, as Frampton can attest; as the tube has come loose and fallen off at some of his concerts over the years.
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 2:31 pm

Davy Jones wrote:
I think he fits the profile of being better as a guitarist than as a songwriter, though, and perhaps that's why he never really took off after the 70's. It's hard to say, the music business being what it is, and everything.

Completely agree. Amazing player, lyric writer? Not so much. Poor guy should get a lot more respect than he does though....just like a tattooed friend of mine. Frampo's kiss of death was making that Sgt. Pepper film with the BeeGees. Here's some trivia ya won't read anywhere else.....In the late 1980s Frampton lived in the same apartment building in Hollywood that Rockats bass player Smutty Smith lived in. Dibbs Preston visited Smutty one day and was startled to share a "ride in the lift" with my fave cork-screwed rocker. Dibbs told me that tale and I said, "that must have been cool as hell!!!!!" Dibbs replied, "right mate, cool for you maybe, not for me. after all, 'e was an 'ippie!" lol true story.
Back to top Go down
carboncat

carboncat

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Hey Tommy
Was I right about the tube thing or was it someone else??? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Cabon Cat UK
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 4:12 pm

Yeah Carbo that was Frampo.
T
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 4:19 pm

carboncat wrote:
Hey Tommy
Was I right about the tube thing or was it someone else??? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Cabon Cat UK

I know you were asking Tommy, but the "tube thing" is the "talkbox". It's a guitar effect sort of like a wah pedal, only it has to be connected to an external speaker (i.e. 2nd guitar amp. although you can also set it up with one amp). Without getting too technical, the signal path gets split between the guitar amp. and talkbox and part of the sound gets diverted up through the tube. If you then "voice/mimic" the notes you play on the guitar, the combination of the guitar part, diverted part through the tube, and your vocal line will combine to create the illusion of a "talking guitar".

Hope that clears things up for ye.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 4:28 pm

Davy Jones wrote:
carboncat wrote:
Hey Tommy
Cabon Cat UK

I know you were asking Tommy, but the "tube thing" is the "talkbox". It's a guitar effect sort of like a wah pedal, only it has to be connected to an external speaker (i.e. 2nd guitar amp. although you can also set it up with one amp). Without getting too technical, the signal path gets split between the guitar amp. and talkbox and part of the sound gets diverted up through the tube. If you then "voice/mimic" the notes you play on the guitar, the combination of the guitar part, diverted part through the tube, and your vocal line will combine to create the illusion of a "talking guitar".

Capt. Jones

You can also hear the talk-box on Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" and Mötley Crüe's "Kickstart My Heart." Richie Sambora said that he had a tough time with the talk-box because his mouth is too small for it... Never tried one myself. I stick with the Crybaby.

Wah,
Mr. Budge Mars
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 4:37 pm

Budgie....always comes back to Metal, don't it. (phew.....)

Capn',
Thanks for that info. I never really knew WHAT was happening there. In the States there is a popular commercial on TV at the moment featuring Frampton playing the talk-box. Very funny, but also very cool.

Hey BUDGE! For your penance, will you post a YouTube link of that commercial here so the good people know what I'm talking about? "Sixteen Candles" in the Music Player if ya do!

-T
Back to top Go down
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL EmptyTue May 20, 2008 4:37 pm

Budgie wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:
carboncat wrote:
Hey Tommy
Cabon Cat UK

Capt. Jones

You can also hear the talk-box on Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" and Mötley Crüe's "Kickstart My Heart." Richie Sambora said that he had a tough time with the talk-box because his mouth is too small for it... Never tried one myself. I stick with the Crybaby.

Wah,
Mr. Budge Mars

Not to mention Joe Walsh's "Rocky Mountain Way"

THey are pretty easy to use, but pretty hard to sound real good. Very much like a Wah I made one from an old speaker horn and some plastic tubing. Ebay Price $300, Cheap ducktaped way, $10 and some odd change.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL   NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL Empty

Back to top Go down

NEW TOY IN THE SETZER.COM ARSENAL
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next