The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Topic right to TommyM

Go down 
+9
sidelakebob
natalia_rocker
PICKIN' PETE
Hellvis
kbilly
TommyM
Chillicat
rickabilly
Crazy Arms
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crazy Arms

Crazy Arms

Topic right to TommyM Empty
PostSubject: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 1:01 pm

Tommy,

I´ve already read all the resquest Stray Cats show topics in Brazil, Argentina and one in Australia but none of them got especific answers from you.
The only answer from you that people received is a question about the Brazil band CSS and Joao Erbetta.

Some brazilian people sent emails to you but received only empty answers.

To be honest we need a real explanation about the situation around this mistery dates and this tour. Why only Europe were chosen?
Brazil, Argentina and other countries from other continents have the same financial condition and structure to support and promove a Stray Cats show.

Sorry to sound rude but I feel disrespect and many others too about it.
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Tommy has no control over what Stray Cats do or don't do. He puts in an enormous amount of work into promoting the efforts of Brian and Stray Cats (a labour of love, he'll tell you modestly). But he doesn't have control over the promoters in the various countries, or Brian, or Stray Cats.

Why Europe? This is only my opinion, but I think the answer is obvious. Because that's where Stray Cats first enjoyed success. And there is recent history (2004) to prove such a tour will be successful. As a US fan, I would have to concede that the continued support in Europe of all things rockin' makes that continent far and away the most deserving of any Stray Cats tour, including a "farewell" tour.

Tommy is merely reporting confirmed, accurate information. What is accurate and confirmed are the European tour dates. There are no other dates to report at this time. The end. No fans are owed any sort of explanation for dates that have or have not been scheduled. You can beg, plead, whine, or show massive enthusiasm in expressing your desire for Stray Cats to come to your country. But demanding some sort of explanation for something that was never promised or even hinted at is, at best, misguided, and at worst, ridiculous.

I would love to hear more about the rockabilly scene in your country. What kind of acts tour regularly? Which acts draw the largest crowds? What cities/countries are nearby to make a tour of 10-15 dates possible? At least with Australia/New Zealand, Japan is nearby for additional touring. And you know the Japanese fans would support a Stray Cats tour with unrivaled enthusiasm.

In my opinion, you're going about this backwards. You should be asking your music promoters why they haven't approached Stray Cats about touring South America. There's no way it would be worth it to travel to one country, or even two. But if there were a number of cities in reasonably close proximity, and a reliable "structure" (promoter) working throughout South America, the promoters would be the ones who would decide if a Cats tour would be profitable, and they would be the ones to contact Stray Cats' management with a proposal. Start pestering them, and maybe they'll come around to help your dream come true.

Why Ask Why-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Crazy Arms

Crazy Arms

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 5:46 pm

rickabilly,

Who are you asking or inquiring me about this or that? The title of the topic is "Topic right to TommyM". Do I include your name on it? Why are you defeating TommyM? I´m not denying the work or the personal side of Tommy but asking about something. If he want to delete the topic that´s fine

If Tommy doesn´t need or want answer he´ll do not you. Do not enter in what you don´t have been invited. Just a simple Tommy asnwer saying "I don´t know about this info" or if he doesn´t want answer ok I can´t do nothing.

Ridiculous asking about explanation? Why? Just because I´m a fan? What´s the problem asking about it? I´m a human being like everybody and nobody is more special than the others.
Remember that I´m not offend you and mainly not direct this topic to you. This is a forum and I can asking him something . Like I said before he can do what he wants. Remeber the topic is directed to him but not you.

If I was rude my apologies to him. Smile
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Shista! My potato has been slapped from my spoon!!! My SPOON!!!

Inya!-billy
Back to top Go down
Chillicat

Chillicat

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 6:10 pm

i think rick was just trying to help... I think we all need to take a deep breath and relax... Smile
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 6:23 pm

Chillicat wrote:
i think rick was just trying to help... I think we all need to take a deep breath and relax... Smile

ChillKat's eyes hear the trueness! I give olive branch to your fruit salad, and reasonings for the precious informations you seek! I wish you happy embrace from simple Tommy's Ed Asner in these poop times!

Ruckabilier
Back to top Go down
Crazy Arms

Crazy Arms

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Chillicat wrote:

Maybe but his answer is not too gentle either. In some parts I felt offended. Don´t worry I´m relaxed.
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Crazy Arms wrote:
Sorry to sound rude but I feel disrespect and many others too about it.

Hey there Crazy Arms. Sorry man....I just read this thread.

First off......I meant no disrespect whatsoever. I LOVE Brazilian music and count the genius Joao Erbetta as one of my closest friends...and CSS are one of my favorite young bands since...well.....since Stray Cats. And I mean those comments sincerely.

I didn't realize that I was coming off as being aloof or elusive when I responded to the Stray Cats/Brazilian posts. Fact is, I can't tell you anything that's not been 100% confirmed and I get soooooo many posts/emails inquiring about when or if the Cats or Brian are coming wherever that sometimes I inadvertantly ignore the question and just excitedly blurt out some kooky comment, as I did with CSS and Joao.

Fact is....many many people email me from your country and ask if the Cats are coming. Reality is that the Cats can't go there without promoter support. Fact is that....there aren't any concert promoters in Brazil that have presented Brian, Jim or Lee with an offer that would make it possible. There is absolutely NO anti-Brazil feelings regarding Stray Cats or least of all, me.

So.....that's an honest answer for you. AND it's my heartfelt declaration that your country rocks my world.

-Tommy

ps- Rick, cheers.
pps- For all of you eavesdroppers (lol) ....check out CSS and Joao Erbetta!!!
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
Crazy Arms

Crazy Arms

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 6:53 pm

Tommy your answer sound very honest and nice to me. This what I needed.
Thanks Tommy Smile

Some people are trying to contact promoters a time ago. Hope it goes ok.

cheers
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Crazy Arms wrote:
Tommy your answer sound very honest and nice to me. This what I needed. Smile
Some people are trying to contact promoters a time ago. Hope it goes ok.

Good stuff Crazy! And in the meantime:

Go HERE

and go HERE

MUSIC. end of story.

Respect,
Tommy
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
kbilly

kbilly

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 7:08 pm

I am told Tommy Dorsey once played 17 shows in 30 days right here in my home county.
I guess those type of tours are gone.
Back to top Go down
Hellvis

Hellvis

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 7:30 pm

All men are equal.

Europeans in particular, apparently lol!
Back to top Go down
Hellvis

Hellvis

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 7:31 pm

Oops, I just replied to a "to TommyM-only" thread, my bad
Back to top Go down
Crazy Arms

Crazy Arms

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 7:45 pm

Hellvis wrote:
Oops, I just replied to a "to TommyM-only" thread, my bad

Oops, what aaaa reeaally fuuunny joke. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 8:44 pm

HEY GANG!

LOVE IT... just like being down at the pub or clubroom!!!

Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
natalia_rocker

natalia_rocker

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 2:41 pm

Crazy Arms,

As you have noticed, I'm from Brazil as well. Ok, I could write it in portuguese, but once I started writing in english, I'll go on.

People here are still trying to contact promoters, you know, see if we can bring the Cats to our country. Rickabilly is right when he says that it's not as simple as it may seem. Well, Crazy Arms, I'm sure you know that, I do, Dan does, all of us do. Rickabilly, I have nothing against you and I want to make this very clear. The thing is that you just don't understand our side.

As have already been said in this forum, the Stray Cats have been to Brazil once, in 1990. After that, never again. You see, it's been almost 20 years without any Stray Cats/Brian Setzer/Lee Rocker/Slim Jim Phantom concert here. You are in the US, you can see their concerts whenever you want. We don't. We're kind of desperate, trying anything we can, this is our last chance to see them live.
And many of us haven't seeing them in 1990, like myself, who was 2 years old at that time.

What can I (and all other brazilian fans) do, travel to Europe to watch their concert? I wish badly this was possible, but unfortunately, it is not. For me and for most of us. This is just for you try to understand our situation. It's not easy at all, rickabilly. So don't crucify or criticise us so strongly. We're only trying to do whatever we can for bringing the Stray Cats to our country.

I'm sure you'll understand, and I thank you for that. Wink

I also thank Tommy Maguire for his answer. I have also e-mailed you some time before discovering this fan forum, and your answer at that time was really vague. Now you have given us an answer that made us satisfied. I understand yours is not an easy position. I just hope you understand (and now it seems you do) ours is also a very hard one.

Sorry for my bad english, folks,

Natália.
Back to top Go down
sidelakebob

sidelakebob

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 3:16 pm

Natalia, How "big" is Stray cats/Setzer in Brazil?
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 3:51 pm

Natalia,

Your English is better than mine! No need to apologize.

I think I misunderstood Crazy Arms' initial post. When I read it, it seemed insistent, almost confrontational, about how he and all the other Brazillian fans were entitled to some sort of explanation as to why no Brazil dates had been scheduled. And when the initial post accused Tommy of being disrespectful, I thought there was a serious misunderstanding afoot. Perhaps the misunderstanding was mine. CA's English is not nearly as good as yours, but it's much better than my Portuguese!

Initially, I was trying to be helpful. But the more I wrote, the more agitated I became, as I misinterpreted the initial post as being overly pushy and demanding. In re-reading it, I see that was really not the case.

As Crazy Arms pointed out, this misunderstanding was not mine to sort out. I still don't believe Brian, Lee, Jim, or Tommy owe the fans any justification for where the tour dates are scheduled, but I am glad Tommy took the time to give you a thoughtful answer.

I sincerely wish you luck in your efforts to persuade your promoters to bring Stray Cats to Brazil.

Rio, Rio, Rio Rockabilly
Back to top Go down
DanKiller

DanKiller

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 4:58 pm

sidelakebob wrote:
Natalia, How "big" is Stray cats/Setzer in Brazil?

Excuse me Nat, but this question I'll answer myself...

Try to acess right now the demand on www.eventful.com about the BSO show and you'll see São Paulo in 1st place with 345 votes. I know, it's a very small number considering the city dimension, but London in 2nd has only 92 votes!!! Besides that, we have Rio and Curitiba in the top 10. Obviously, the BSO fans and Stray Cats fans are the same, so I guess we have a point when we say that the brazilian public wants the Cats here.

Tommy, still talking about the BSO demand, what's the real intention of this iniciative? You told us about the problem with the promoters here so doesn't make sense create a demand online if you can't guarantee the show...
Back to top Go down
natalia_rocker

natalia_rocker

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Yes Dan, it's true. BSO fans are also Stray Cats fans. But I would say more. There are many Stray Cats fans that don't know BSO. Of course they are not as fans as we here on the forum, but they are people who would go to their concert if had the chance. What I'm trying to say is that we have more Stray Cats fans here than we can possibly measure.

And it's true, 300 and something votes are not significant, but only a few people got to know about this online poll. And as Dan said, we are better colocated than London, a city where both BSO and Stray Cats have a huge amount of fans, as we all know.

For you guys to have an idea, when the Cats landed here in São Paulo in 1990, they were here for two concerts in our city. Two. But the success was so tremendous that they did one more concert here in São Paulo, getting to a total of 3 concerts only in São Paulo. I don't think this is something that happens everyday.

By the way, Rickabilly, thank you for having understood our situation Smile

Happy Easter for everyone! albino (I reckon this is a rabbit...)
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 5:48 pm

natalia_rocker wrote:

For you guys to have an idea, when the Cats landed here in São Paulo in 1990, they were here for two concerts in our city. Two. But the success was so tremendous that they did one more concert here in São Paulo, getting to a total of 3 concerts only in São Paulo. I don't think this is something that happens everyday.

Wow! 1990 was quite a few years after the peak of their commercial success, and they still sold out three shows! This story should be required reading for every music promoter in and around Brasil! If that doesn't get a promoter serious about bringing Stray Cats to Brazil, then nothing will.

Brasilabilly
Back to top Go down
DanKiller

DanKiller

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 am

Absolutely right, rickabilly!!!! But as far we can see, the brazilian producers have a serious blindness case. Above all, I also tell you that some people envolved in the 1990's show lost many opportunities to realize a big Stray Cats comeback in our country. It's a lack of interest, or vision, or both, or something else that I can't explain or even find words.
Well, we'll keep the hope alive anyway because brazilians never give up.
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 5:13 pm

Very interesting topic here.........welcome to the Fan Forum!

Dan or Natalia:
A few of us have always wondered what dates the Cats played in Brazil.

Do either of you happen to know the actual dates/cities from the march 1990 tour?

Muito obrigado!
Scatman
Back to top Go down
DanKiller

DanKiller

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 5:51 pm

Well, the 1st SP show was in march 9. About Rio I really don't know.
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 8:26 pm

rickabilly wrote:
Tommy has no control over what Stray Cats do or don't do. He puts in an enormous amount of work into promoting the efforts of Brian and Stray Cats (a labour of love, he'll tell you modestly). But he doesn't have control over the promoters in the various countries, or Brian, or Stray Cats.

Why Europe? This is only my opinion, but I think the answer is obvious. Because that's where Stray Cats first enjoyed success. And there is recent history (2004) to prove such a tour will be successful. As a US fan, I would have to concede that the continued support in Europe of all things rockin' makes that continent far and away the most deserving of any Stray Cats tour, including a "farewell" tour.

Tommy is merely reporting confirmed, accurate information. What is accurate and confirmed are the European tour dates. There are no other dates to report at this time. The end. No fans are owed any sort of explanation for dates that have or have not been scheduled. You can beg, plead, whine, or show massive enthusiasm in expressing your desire for Stray Cats to come to your country. But demanding some sort of explanation for something that was never promised or even hinted at is, at best, misguided, and at worst, ridiculous.

I would love to hear more about the rockabilly scene in your country. What kind of acts tour regularly? Which acts draw the largest crowds? What cities/countries are nearby to make a tour of 10-15 dates possible? At least with Australia/New Zealand, Japan is nearby for additional touring. And you know the Japanese fans would support a Stray Cats tour with unrivaled enthusiasm.

In my opinion, you're going about this backwards. You should be asking your music promoters why they haven't approached Stray Cats about touring South America. There's no way it would be worth it to travel to one country, or even two. But if there were a number of cities in reasonably close proximity, and a reliable "structure" (promoter) working throughout South America, the promoters would be the ones who would decide if a Cats tour would be profitable, and they would be the ones to contact Stray Cats' management with a proposal. Start pestering them, and maybe they'll come around to help your dream come true.

Why Ask Why-a-billy

Rickabilly's PR and ad agency's rates are very reasonably priced. if you would like your band promoted, just call 0800 we're the best and ask for Rickabilly. LOL

Mikey Clifford.
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Topic right to TommyM   Topic right to TommyM Empty

Back to top Go down

Topic right to TommyM
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next