The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need Your Help With Some Artwork

Go down 
+15
StanTheMan
DEXTER
Hotrodtodd
webelvis
donpepe
Mikey
Vinny
Hellvis
kbilly
Banksy
Kid Setzer
Gloria
AussieSam
Dave
jshea
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jshea

jshea

Need Your Help With Some Artwork Empty
PostSubject: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 1:30 pm

Hey everybody, I need your help.

So, I'm an illustator/graphic designer. I've very recently decided to teach myself the art of caricature .I woke up this morning-ish, grabbed a bowl of Froot Loops and thought I'd tackle a Setzer-centric caricature. It's vintage Cats Brian, specifically from the Stray Cat Strut video. If you closely watch the video Brian makes a lot of crazy, more exaggerated and extreme faces, which are better for caricature.

Here's where you come in. I need feedback. Critique. What works, what doesn't. The good, bad, the ugly. I can take it. All for the sake of education.

Need Your Help With Some Artwork Setzer12
Back to top Go down
http://www.jsheastanley.com
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 3:02 pm

That is good !!!

change that, that is really good....

Dave
Back to top Go down
jshea

jshea

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 3:24 pm

THanks Dave!. Glad you dig it.

SHea
Back to top Go down
AussieSam

AussieSam

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 3:53 pm

Great stuff, i really like it too.
Back to top Go down
Gloria

Gloria

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 4:06 pm

I really like that a lot too! Do you have any others?

Did you do the one in your avatar? From what I can see, it looks very cool. I like the colors in it.

Did you really teach yourself how to draw caricatures? I couldn't draw anything to save my life, but to learn it on your own, wow! You obviously have the talent for it.
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Woah!! I totally dig it!!

Good job!

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Banksy

Banksy

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 5:26 pm

cool, but he does look a bit .... (now how do I phrase this) .... "eastern"....

Banksy
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 5:35 pm

Captures the Stray Cat Strut video "look" i think....
Back to top Go down
kbilly

kbilly

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 5:54 pm

Wow! where do i get mine?
nice website,just visited it,thx.
Back to top Go down
Hellvis

Hellvis

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 pm

Very nice!

One question: how on earth can you caricature Brian's 1981 pomp? Shocked I mean, the real one was already beyond any caricature you could ever dream of drawing lol!
Back to top Go down
jshea

jshea

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 6:30 pm

THanks everyone for the replies and encouragement. GLad your diggin on it.

Gloria,
I've got a woefully out of date website with a gallery of some of my art. There's a pretty good chunk of rockabilly inspired stuff on there. Some finished, some just in sketch stage. Sadly it's not real current.

www.jsheastanley.com

And for the caricature projects, I've started keeping track of my progress on my blog here. THe stuff I started with Sunday night is there.

www.jsheastanley.blogspot.com

I do a lot of "cartoony stuff", most all of it though is just from my head and not meant to look like somebody. And I've done some more true-to-life portraiture stuff. But caricatures are a whole other beast. It's making me really have to study the way people look and what aspects of their features make them unique. I'm still in the early stages of wrapping my brain around that.

Banksy,
WOW! I totally didn't see that until you mentioned it. BUt it's really obvious to me now. I think there's way too much olive in the skin tones and I think that's at least part of the problem. I'll make a tweak to that and post it. Let me know what you think. Good call.

kbilly,
Glad you dug the website! Thanks for checking it out.

Hellvis,
I had to steer clear of the RUNAWAY BOYS pomp. It was waaaaay too intense. I went with Revision B of that pomp.

Keep the feedback coming. Any feedback is good feedback. Thanks ya'll!
Back to top Go down
jshea

jshea

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Here's the revised colored version. Less olive-y skin. Still a little funky colorwise.

Need Your Help With Some Artwork Setzer13
Back to top Go down
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 7:36 pm

You've captured alot of the really big parts of Setzer, Especially nice work on the pomp. however, without color on the clothes and pomp he just doesn't look pale enough
Back to top Go down
Gloria

Gloria

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 8:05 pm

I didn't really notice the "eastern" look until you pointed it out, but it would be interesting to see more color.

Thanks for the info on your website and the links. Nice work! Loved seeing your avatar on there. Very cool.
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 8:10 pm

Wow! That's amazing. If I had one alteration, it'd be the lips. Less Mick Jagger and more of his thin lipped move to the side (does anyone know what i mean here?)

But, oh boy! What a fantastic cariciarture.

Mikey Marceau x
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 3:08 am

Very good, don't change it anymore.

I also work in the graphic industry, welcome to the klan.
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 6:53 am

That's awesome!!
I want to see more!
Back to top Go down
Hotrodtodd

Hotrodtodd

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:20 am

Jshea, wow! how cool. Youve really got a knack for that stuff. Im gonna visit your site and take a look. Best wishes, Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thedaytonasrock
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:26 am

Is it that look when he pulls the fish bone out of the rubbish bin in Stray Cat Strut video? Wow, what a face!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/286
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:31 am

Mikey wrote:
Wow! That's amazing. If I had one alteration, it'd be the lips. Less Mick Jagger and more of his thin lipped move to the side (does anyone know what i mean here?)

But, oh boy! What a fantastic cariciarture.

Mikey Marceau x

Sorry Mikey, forgot to put up the quote in that last comment, oh, and no offence Brian, its the you we've come to know and love!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/286
StanTheMan

StanTheMan

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 3:40 am

That is great work, yes indeed!

Could you design us the art work for a box of Stray Cats cereal. With crunchy guitars, basses, and drums. And various colors of marshmellow cat heads. Part of a balanced breakfast.

We'll pitch our idea to General Mills! jocolor

And if you guys have any great slogans for the marketing campaign let us know.

It's a silly idea I know but it's 3:30 am and I'm bored at work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/synagogue327
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 3:47 am

StanTheMan wrote:
That is great work, yes indeed!

Could you design us the art work for a box of Stray Cats cereal. With crunchy guitars, basses, and drums. And various colors of marshmellow cat heads. Part of a balanced breakfast.

We'll pitch our idea to General Mills! jocolor

And if you guys have any great slogans for the marketing campaign let us know.

It's a silly idea I know but it's 3:30 am and I'm bored at work.

Haha I started thinking of 'Lucky Charm' when I read that.. Mmm, I could go for some of that cereal right about now Very Happy

Kid.
Back to top Go down
StanTheMan

StanTheMan

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 4:13 am

It does sound good kid Setz doesn't it? I'd buy it from the merchandise page. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/synagogue327
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 4:52 am

Hehe yeah Stan!

I do really love that art though.. I would totally hang it on my wall *hint hint nudge nudge* Razz Razz

Kid.
Back to top Go down
jshea

jshea

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 10:32 pm

Thanks all!

Dexter, That'sfrom the scene right after the main solo, the "I don't bother CHASIN' mice around" line where brian's like hiding in a dumpster or something.

Stray Cats Cereal, eh? They're GRRRRRREEEEETSCH-y. Sounds like a little project I may not be able to resist. The biggest problem right now is finding really good vintage cats reference photos, with the guys in some of they're more iconic poses. I think that may be my big weekend project.

Kid, Glad you dig the art. Drop me an email about your wall space. I think I may be able to help you out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Your Help With Some Artwork   Need Your Help With Some Artwork Empty

Back to top Go down

Need Your Help With Some Artwork
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next