The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rebel Beat documentary

Go down 
+12
Diggey
Buddy
kbilly
donpepe
rockabilly guy
brent
PICKIN' PETE
Hotrodtodd
MEMPHISSUN
rickabilly
TommyM
steve
16 posters
AuthorMessage
steve

Rebel Beat documentary Empty
PostSubject: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Hello, As along time RAB and Setzer fan, I found that I was a little annoyed with the mentions and/or left handed compliments made towards Brian and the Stray Cats in the movie/documentary "Rebel Beat". The one guy said something like the Stray Cats were more of a throwback to Fabian more so than Rockabilly and that their hairdo's were more so"Flock of Seagulls". Wow, how critical! Sometimes I think this scene has too many rules and I really can understand where Brian's inspiration for the song "Really Rockabilly" may have come from. The Cats were the reason me, and probably many other kids from the 80's discovered what Rockabilly music is. Past all of that, I thought "Rebel Beat" was great!
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Steve, what is this "Rebel Beat" movie? Never heard of it.

Not wearing 1956 underwear,
Tommy Seagull
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 8:34 pm

Rebel Beat: The Story of LA Rockabilly, is a documentary about the LA rockabilly scene from the 50s through today. Like most documentaries, it has difficulties incorporating all points of view. But there are interviews and footage from Big Sandy, Dave Gonzalez, Glenn Glenn, Levi Dexter, Ronny Weiser, and many others. I actually enjoyed the film, despite the lack of acknowledgement to Stray Cats and Brian Setzer. That didn't bother me so much, as the film's thesis is that rockabilly is an underground genre, and a rockabilly band that hit it big sort of contradicts that statement.

It's one point of view. I got the movie right after 13 came out, and I have to say, Really Rockabilly does indeed sum up my impressions of more than a few of the film's subjects. But I really dig some of the performance footage and interviews.

Really Rickabilly
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 9:49 pm

I mind reading about this "DOC".

Must have a look for it. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
Hotrodtodd

Hotrodtodd

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 10:20 pm

Its so strange that people think anything sucessful or mainstream cant be good. The Stray Cats being called out by a rockabilly is like The sex pistols being called out by a punk. blasphemy. There are clips of another Rockabilly "doc" on youtube which looks like it might be cool. If I remember correctly its based in a town in Canada where the Scene is making a comeback.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thedaytonasrock
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 11:05 pm

HEY GANG,
Gotta agree with ya 101%!!
I've always felt Rockabilly was a spirit more so than how ya look or what ya drive, etc. Sure we all have some things in common, but we all do it to different degrees and levels. I'm so sick of people thinking that ya gotta have a pomp, listen to some old scatchy vinyl and wear jeans all the time to be a Rockabilly! Man, the spirit is more important! They gotta get out of that mindset, I think that's the message on Really Rockabilly. I remember I laughed my arse off when I heard it for the first time.
You stick it to 'em Brian, I'll watch ya back!!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
brent

brent

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 11:18 pm

steve wrote:
Hello, As along time RAB and Setzer fan, I found that I was a little annoyed with the mentions and/or left handed compliments made towards Brian and the Stray Cats in the movie/documentary "Rebel Beat". The one guy said something like the Stray Cats were more of a throwback to Fabian more so than Rockabilly and that their hairdo's were more so"Flock of Seagulls". Wow, how critical! Sometimes I think this scene has too many rules and I really can understand where Brian's inspiration for the song "Really Rockabilly" may have come from. The Cats were the reason me, and probably many other kids from the 80's discovered what Rockabilly music is. Past all of that, I thought "Rebel Beat" was great!

Couldn't agree with you more, Steve. I own the dvd and thought it was interesting but the comments about the Stray Cats were more like sour grapes. As soon as anybody puts some musicallity into the sound it's no longer "genuine". They figure all the songs should be played in "E" speed up 12 bar blues with bad/simple guitar solos...Booooring. Heard it before. If you're doing the old songs, please try and do your own take on it otherwise I'll just listen to the original...'cause it's likely better anyway. Whomever it was in the documentary said the Stray Cats were more like the second coming of Fabian rather than Gene Vincent. To tie in with the other comment...BOLLOCKS!!! The Cats could and still can play their instuments like it's nobody's business and with more feeling for the sound than anyone. Here comes another Bettie Page...

Brent
Back to top Go down
http://tigersharks.ca
rockabilly guy

rockabilly guy

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 4:39 am

I too have this movie,think it's great apart from the afore mentioned points.The guy who made the "Fabian" remark is obviously bitter at the Cats success.How anybody with an ounce of common sense and knowledge of Rockabilly could make that reference is beyond me.
I believe it was Glen Glenn that remarked that they never had the huge pompadours and tattoos in the '50's.Well,didn't he,like many,just miss the point?Stray Cats aren't and NEVER were meant to be Fifties throwbacks Mad
Aside from that it's a hugely enjoyable film,made by Rockin' Ronnie Weiser's tales and supreme enthusiasm for the music.Go grab it.
Cheers
Steve
Poised for Dublin pre-sale
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabilly81
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 8:29 am

The film is about LA scene or part of it, the situation elsewhere may be different. Most of those
die-hard rockafillies in that flick would never have heard of any other billies than their granma's billygoat without a certain skinny guitarplayer and his mates from LongIsland. And that's a fact.

It's a nice little film anyway, not the Ultimate Truth of anything.
Back to top Go down
kbilly

kbilly

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 10:49 am

ya know, you folks are lucky.where i live, when i say Rockabilly,its the deer in the headlights look. Rocka what? When I try to explain they think i am just wierd.
Back to top Go down
Buddy

PostSubject: rebel beat   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 1:56 pm

I think rebel beat sucked!! Ronnie and Ray were great but the rest is a bunch of Bull!! I am in the SO-CAL rockabilly scene now and in the 80s and I can tell you all the cats talking shit on the STRAY CATS were all into to them big time!! My band the hot rod trio was in that DVD but our record company got them to remove the footage of us playing. There is still a little of my wife Suzy playing slap bass (black with flames).Cats I am here to tell you we play about 100 shows a year and are very proud to be a neo rockabilly band influenced by the STRAY CATS!!! We are able to play to all kind of crowds and they dig it unlike some of the band in the DVD that would have a hard time playing to anyone other then the few with the same mind set. Stay Cool Buddy
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 2:57 pm

I think I need to go watch it again. I can't recall more than two people who mentioned Stray Cats, but some of the comments here make it seem like they took a beating from numerous people on the documentary. I just don't remember it that way at all. I really enjoyed the performances, especially those from Ray Campi and Big Sandy. Having this stuff on a DVD is invaluable. (In my haste to refer to Ray Campi as "the late, great" I later realized I had him confused with Ray Condo, who, like Elvis and General Francisco Franco, are still dead. Ray Campi is still with us, thankfully.)

It would have been better to have some of the artists talk about their own experiences rather than trying to play the role of "rockabilly historian." I love the music of the Paladins and the Hacienda Brothers, but I think Dave G may have had a little too much face time in this documentary. And while I instantly recognized those fans who were the self-appointed "Really Rockabillies," it didn't ruin the film for me. I actually respect their passion and commitment to the fashion and the music, as long as they don't turn up their Bettie bangs at those of us who share their love for the music, but not necessarily the look and exclusionary self-righteousness of their contrived "scene."

There's precious little rockabilly music on DVD, which is odd, because there's a ton of it on YouTube. I'm not about to discourage projects like these just because there are elements that don't suit me. I look forward to more projects where the music is the focus.

All the Rage-a-billy

Last edited by rickabilly on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Diggey

Diggey

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 6:15 pm

I haven't seen it yet so I can't comment on what those folks are doing. I am glad we have a Southern Cali rep here to comment though.

Buddy, glad you chimed in for several reasons. First off, great band. Check out the Hot Rod Trio if you can folks. Great stuff. Great Music and good vibes. Great Surf album too.

Secondly, Dario Gomez is a great amp builder and you and the 'Sonido are made for each other. (I have one also and it is awesome.)

Third, you make a great point about the Stray Cats being the reason alot of folks are into it now. It is for me. They bridged the gap for a punker like me when I was young to appreciate the greats of the original days of rockabilly. Including Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Billy Lee Riley and so on. They were the link for me to find out just what in the heck these "Cats" were doing. ANd made me want to go back in time to find the original versions and here even more and more.

And what is so funny is why does it matter how anyone looks to play any type of music is so funny to me.
I think the Stray Cats did the Pomps and Creepers because no one else did it. And they were semi-retro but ultra hip doing it. It just is them. And no one cares who or what the wore. At least in this circle. Its just great music. Period. I guess if they had skulls and sang the same songs about coffins and goblins it would be widely excepted with the "other" crowd. The last thing a greaser wants to be accused of is being the fashion police.

I don't remember Cliff Gallups hair or if he had the right number of cuffs, but I will tell you I love his guitar playing.
Back to top Go down
taggy jess

taggy jess

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 6:41 pm

Well don't get me startet lol!

Imagine Brian Setzer only doing one album in the early 80's, then he getting married having a bunch of kids and teaching on some music school for a living.
This record of his only sells 1500 copy's worldwide, and no one really takes notice of it at the time. The label was to small, no money for PR and no internet at the time.
Suddently 10-20 years later someones notice this album, and everyones on the scene thinks it's fantastic. All the purist people loves it, even it's a bit different.
And nothing like those crap rockabilly bands in the charts like the Polecats, Reverend Horton Heat and the Rockats. This guy Brian Setzer never did sell out and did only one album......

I guess a lot of people are having a problem with bands and artists having a major succes. And if they don't look like a photo from 1957, man that's bad.

But if nothing new happens, the scene will slowly die. I'm almost 40, and I don't see too many youngsters around the Copenhagen scene at the moment. This world needs another new young fresh billy kind of band to hit the charts. And I hope they don't look just like all the other bands around.

But I still like to see this film, even I might no like it Sleep
Back to top Go down
StanTheMan

StanTheMan

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 6:56 pm

kbilly wrote:
ya know, you folks are lucky.where i live, when i say Rockabilly,its the deer in the headlights look. Rocka what? When I try to explain they think i am just wierd.

Ha! Same for me Kbilly. I don't even try to explain anymore. When I'm asked what my music preference is I just say I like a little of everything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/synagogue327
taggy jess

taggy jess

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Fell good music Very Happy
Back to top Go down
therockinguy

PostSubject: rebel beat   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Ray Campi-I'm not dead ,Am i?
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 7:36 am

therockinguy wrote:
Ray Campi-I'm not dead ,Am i?

Sure hope not! Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/builtforspeedband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rebel Beat documentary   Rebel Beat documentary Empty

Back to top Go down

Rebel Beat documentary
Page 1 of 1