The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History

Go down 
+25
donpepe
brett
PICKIN' PETE
TommyM
El Perro
vic
cfunke
EskimoPie
Mikey
rickabilly
Doesy
LetsLiveItUp
MEMPHISSUN
sidelakebob
greasedupcruiser
scatcatcnut
lpfan
Ponczek007
rocker61
Tweedboy6L6
Budgie
wee mark
Kiki
jaybird
Gloria
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
vic

Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 3:14 pm

There are 100s if not 1000s of guitar players out there that nobody has ever hear of that are far better players many "famous" players. I think what seperates a technically great player, from a great musician is that there are a few that just have a sound that you instantly recognize when they play, and are able to express an emotion. Setzer certainly has that in spades.

Junior Brown is the same way for me. I hate to say it, but I think he has even greater command at playing the thing than Setzer does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonJu6-XpWU&feature=related

I came across Scotty Anderson once on youtube while searching for Setzer stuff. Sort of Tommy Emanuel like, but I like his taste a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRJbg1XyEbo

Also, Willie Nelson is really very good at mixing it up, throwing in some nice jazz chord changes, and breaking the rules with leads and voicing. It's simple but mighty expressive. Certainly not the best, but deffinatly under rated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vaYOIKWYY
Back to top Go down
El Perro

El Perro

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 3:22 pm

I guess I have to ask, "Underrated by whom?" If the answer is the standard, establishment rock press as represented by Rolling Stone, then I would add Brian to a list including Steve Vai, Eric Liefson, Buckethead, Zappa, Vernon Reid, and Robert Fripp. Some of these players are merely ignored by the journaistic inteligencia, but some, like Vai, are openly mocked by these pencil-heads for what I can only believe is some sort of resentment or envy.
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Rolling Politics   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 4:08 pm

Believe me, There is PLENTY of politics,resentment and envy over at Rolling Stone. Do people still read the "Rolling Communist Manifesto"

Tommy Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
Mikey

PostSubject: 7 underated guitarists   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 6:04 am

OK! Well, many of the ones mentioned here actually are rated, but not justly deserved. However, here's my 7:

1, Mickey Gee
2, Brinsley Schwartz
3, Frank White
4, Jerry Donaghue
5, Mark Harman
6, Boz Boorer
7, Many many more (phew! that covers me - lol)

Mikey Gallup
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 6:17 am

HEY scatcatnut,

How's it goin' man?

Warner Hodges and Jimmie Vaughan?....DEFINATELY!!!!!

Man I've seen Jimmie play live... GREAT taste, definately not a million notes a minute, but 1 note placed in the exact right place everytime!
Warner, what can I say?...Golden Ball And Chain Album remains one of my ALL TIME FAVOURITES!! Another player that can shred but with extreme taste.
Dave Gonzales from The Paladins for his straight forward roots playing, Poison Ivy from The Cramps for her raw, edgy r'n'r and Billy Duffy from The Cult for his tasteful licks and riffs that brought rock back in the '80s and early '90s have got to be some of my top underrated players. Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
jaybird

jaybird

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 10:42 am

Whilst a lot of good guitarists are mentioned here, nobody ever seems to mention Jimmy Bryant & he deserved to be in the top 20 ever! He is so fast & precise & he never used distortion or studio gimmicks just some reverb. Check out what I mean here....

Listen too little Rock Getaway.....

http://www.myspace.com/jimmybryant

I read a Setzer interview years back saying Jimmy Bryant was one of his idols, I can't think of a better endorsement What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/jay
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 8:56 am

Buzz Campbell und Brophy Dale,

cool guys. Great Players.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 12:17 pm

Jimmie Vaughan, Johnny Winter ( not on his own records, heh heh), Dave Gonzales, Lester Peabody, Hubert Sumlin.
Back to top Go down
ratpack

ratpack

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 3:38 pm

1. Brian Setzer
2. Phil Keaggy
3. Buddy Guy
4. Scott Dente
5. Chris Rodriguez
6. Ric Hordinski
7. Robben Ford
Back to top Go down
laurent327

laurent327

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 8:37 am

Charlie Baty
Dave Gonzales
Eric Sardinas
Dave Hole
Ruyter Suys
Sue Foley
Johnny Winter
gwyn ashton
etc. etc.

I could mention more than 100

don't forget, these ceremony (grammy, oscar, etc...), all these rankings best guitarplayer = Without interest, it is for the weak.
Back to top Go down
El Perro

El Perro

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:05 pm

Throw these two guys on the list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzdbY9jc_g
Back to top Go down
Finman

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 12:41 am

These lists (not in the forum) are a little rediculous. Some of the lists Rolling Stone puts out are particularly bad.

Anyone ever heard of Hillel Slovak? (The ODd "Stratmaster" of the Red Hot Chili Peppers 2nd & 3rd albums). One of the best live guitar players I have ever seen. He is up there with Setzer, Page, Guilmour, Townsend, Van Halen, Vaughn, Clapton, Zappa, Perry and whom I have all seen.
Back to top Go down
liam

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 am

Setzer is an extremely underated artist. I think the orchestra and old school style allowed much of the broader media to dismiss him as a gimmick type artist to a small degree and overlook his talent. Thats small minded and really demonstrates how little folk actually listen at times.

Two other underrated favs of mine are two N. Cali artists Kevin Russell (blues) and Dave Meniketti (hard rock, blues). The connection between all three is the sincerity each play with. Chords and technique can be learned but heart and energy are not replicable and unfortunately they do not receive enough attention. Some great artists in this thread
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History   Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Top Seven Underrated Guitar Players in Rock History
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2