The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

the Cd 13 really rocks!

Go down 
+16
Gloria
sidelakebob
Budgie
PICKIN' PETE
Rockin' Johnny
El Perro
Mike
Banksy
StanTheMan
rickabilly
DEXTER
moto
Setzerado
brett
webelvis
brian
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 10:40 am

Hey Budgie,
I hear ya!
Hey rickabilly,
I SMELL you!!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:02 pm

Good point Brett,
I just wish my sister would open her ears and mind to some real music instead of that
Quote :
"Gangsta-Bitch-Hiphoppel-im-so-evil-trash" comin out the radio or TV channels like MTV.
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi Mike,

maybe in a few years...

nice weekend...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
sidelakebob

sidelakebob

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:31 pm

I love that record, It make me feel like when Choo choo hot fish came out, It was someting different and if you are the king of the cats you can take it out a little!! Cool

Last edited by sidelakebob on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gloria

Gloria

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 1:31 pm

Rockin' Johnny wrote:
and BROKEN DOWN PIECE OF JUNK? Great!

Broken Down Piece Of Junk is my favorite song from 13 and one of my all time favorite Setzer songs. It just makes me smile and laugh! I love the little background Brian voice (sounds kind of like the way he sings on Hollywood Nocturne) and how he answers himself after the lines. "I got a broken down car" - (I know). "I got a bird that won't sing" - (Ahhh ha ha). And my favorite part of the song? All of the ooh la la la's. Sigh... Good job, Brian!!!
"The door ain't got a lock, but I say what the hell?" cheers
Back to top Go down
brian

PostSubject: 13   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:24 pm

Budgie,you know it.;.brian afro
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:39 pm

I love the guitar sound on Broken Down Piece of Junk! In parts, it reminds me of the Beatles' Revolution single, and the ooh-la-la-las are quite Fab as well!

That tune, as well as Everybody's Up to Somethin', also have a great sense of humor (or is it Setz of humor?) about them. I would have loved to hear Everybody's Up to Somethin' on the radio. I think it could have been a hit. Now, with the Ashlee Simpson reference, it's a bit dated. But I think the 70's rock vibe is something that would have invoked nostalgia for a different era, as there are well-crafted bits of Steve Miller, Skynyrd, Aerosmith, AC/DC, and I think the opening riff sounds a lot like Sammy Hagar's Heavy Metal.

Come to think of it, I don't really listen to the radio anymore...

Speaking of Fab, Don't Say You Love me may have a Johnny-n-June feel on the vocals, but the layers of jangly guitars take me back to the Beatles, circa 1965. I love the Rickenbacker - Rock on, George, one time for Ringo!

Rickenbacker-billy
Back to top Go down
Ponczek007

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 10:03 pm

I think everybodys up to something is probably one of the most catchy setzer songs in recent years. It's like rock the casbah the way the chorus gets stuck in your head.
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 10:20 pm

DEXTER wrote:
brian wrote:
Hi all,really been enjoying the 13 cd lately.Anyone else.Blues Stay Away From Me...brian.Hey T

Cant agree with you there Chief! This is probably gonna be universally unpopular but I have to be honest, I think its the worst album to date!!! Ok we have come to expect that the guitar work is fabulous, accepted, 13 worth the buying for that. But the songs are an absolute cheesefest, corny, half-baked lyrics, totally derivitive of a million and one songs. I personally was very disappointed.

Now bare it in mind that I have been mega fan since '81 and have and would buy anything, both in every avenue of Brian's career, but this has been a bee in my bonnet since it was released. I just feel that there has been a lot of really top quality material by Brian, but 13 is just not that. Really Rockabilly was the track that annoyed and angered me the most, now before anyone says it, Im not a traditionalist, far from it, a child of the 80's in fact, but Brian's career at one point or another has been maintained on the whole by a hard core of traditionalists and this is just plain insulting, some of the rockabilly imagary, dress, tattoes, etc. he has criticised in the song, he has employed himself at periods in his career, now he criticises others for still being there? Don't get it!.

Of course Brian has to move on as an artist and the fans should allow him to do that, but you don't need to shit on the people that have boosted and supported your career throughout the years, thats just plain nasty. In short I have a bad taste in my mouth every time I put the cd on and thats a pity, it really isnt what I would expect of Brian. In my defence I think we as fans should be giving our honest opinion, and that is mine! Am I wrong? Have I got the wrong end of the stick here or what, am I missing something? ........Let the slaughter begin!!!!

I'm same age as you. And exactly the same with regard to the 80's and being a fan of Brian etc. You are totally entitled to your opinion, and i think unlike many forums, all the regular posters on here are logical people. I do think that you have to consider that Brian spent a lot of time in England and that's where he must have learned sarcasm. That said. I think 13 is a valid album, albeit very tongue in cheek. He doesn't slag rockabilly's, he embraces them. And anyway, if anyone on this planet HAS earned the right to have a go at Rockabilly, it surel has to be the man who brought it back to life.. What's the phrase - i brought you into yhis world, so i reserve the right to take you out of it!!!

That said - I respect your humble opinion.

Mikey right to replyabilly
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
El Perro

El Perro

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 1:44 pm

regarding the whole "Really Rocakabilly" thing.....

I was a bartender at a club that featured live swing bands, dance lessons, etc. during it's heyday of 97-99. I recall people being very snobbish and uppity because someone else's dress wasn't "authentically period enough" or they dared to mix an article of clothing from the 40s with another from the 20s..... just ridiculously petty crap like that. All I could do is just shake my head, roll my eyes and mix another martini. So when Brian came out with a song ridiculing "genre purists" I totally understood where he was coming from and appreciated him doing so. We're supposed to enjoy dressing up and going to shows/clubs. Not make it into some kind of competition or excuse to hate.
Back to top Go down
WildCat

WildCat

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 6:01 pm

El Perro wrote:
regarding the whole "Really Rocakabilly" thing.....

I was a bartender at a club that featured live swing bands, dance lessons, etc. during it's heyday of 97-99. I recall people being very snobbish and uppity because someone else's dress wasn't "authentically period enough" or they dared to mix an article of clothing from the 40s with another from the 20s..... just ridiculously petty crap like that. All I could do is just shake my head, roll my eyes and mix another martini. So when Brian came out with a song ridiculing "genre purists" I totally understood where he was coming from and appreciated him doing so. We're supposed to enjoy dressing up and going to shows/clubs. Not make it into some kind of competition or excuse to hate.
Amen! I can't tell you how much crap I've gotten for not "looking the part," i.e. no ink or Bettie Page bangs. I've actually had people tell me there's no way I can like rockabilly, since I don't look like I do. Rolling Eyes

And that being said, I'm off to hear one kick-ass rockabilly trio tonight, Highway 13! Razz

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 8:10 am

[quote="El Perro"]regarding the whole "Really Rocakabilly" thing.....

I was a bartender at a club that featured live swing bands, dance lessons, etc. during it's heyday of 97-99. I recall people being very snobbish and uppity because someone else's dress wasn't "authentically period enough" or they dared to mix an article of clothing from the 40s with another from the 20s..... just ridiculously petty crap like that. All I could do is just shake my head, roll my eyes and mix another martini. So when Brian came out with a song ridiculing "genre purists" I totally understood where he was coming from and appreciated him doing so. We're supposed to enjoy dressing up and going to shows/clubs. Not make it into some kind of competition or excuse to hate.[/quote

Totally agree with you Perro, I had a similar experience when I moved to London to live for a few years. I had been living a privincial life in Ireland and doing the 'rockabilly' thing there, generally these guys in London were just the best, couldnt have met nicer guys, but there was a very small minority, who if you 'were't wearing leather soled shoes, hadnt got the right haircut, hadnt heard of the most obscure Sun sides', you know ridiculous stuff, you had no value at all in their circle. I find that attitude very frustrating, I wouldnt be at all purest or fundamental in my outlook, what I loved about Stray Cats at that time was that they werent doing the stereotypical, 'one way to do things' approach. They were taking rockabilly and dissassembling it into its individual parts, Blues, bit of Jazz, rock 'n' roll, and not being Shakin' Stevens or some Teddy Boy band, in other words, formula. I thought this was wonderful and still do. But I suppose in any group you do get a snobbish element, who want to be seen as the intelligencia. Its a very entrenched viewpoint, which you really cant move on or develope from.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/286
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 8:22 am

Mikey wrote:
DEXTER wrote:
brian wrote:
Hi all,really been enjoying the 13 cd lately.Anyone else.Blues Stay Away From Me...brian.Hey T

Cant agree with you there Chief! This is probably gonna be universally unpopular but I have to be honest, I think its the worst album to date!!! Ok we have come to expect that the guitar work is fabulous, accepted, 13 worth the buying for that. But the songs are an absolute cheesefest, corny, half-baked lyrics, totally derivitive of a million and one songs. I personally was very disappointed.

Now bare it in mind that I have been mega fan since '81 and have and would buy anything, both in every avenue of Brian's career, but this has been a bee in my bonnet since it was released. I just feel that there has been a lot of really top quality material by Brian, but 13 is just not that. Really Rockabilly was the track that annoyed and angered me the most, now before anyone says it, Im not a traditionalist, far from it, a child of the 80's in fact, but Brian's career at one point or another has been maintained on the whole by a hard core of traditionalists and this is just plain insulting, some of the rockabilly imagary, dress, tattoes, etc. he has criticised in the song, he has employed himself at periods in his career, now he criticises others for still being there? Don't get it!.

Of course Brian has to move on as an artist and the fans should allow him to do that, but you don't need to shit on the people that have boosted and supported your career throughout the years, thats just plain nasty. In short I have a bad taste in my mouth every time I put the cd on and thats a pity, it really isnt what I would expect of Brian. In my defence I think we as fans should be giving our honest opinion, and that is mine! Am I wrong? Have I got the wrong end of the stick here or what, am I missing something? ........Let the slaughter begin!!!!

I'm same age as you. And exactly the same with regard to the 80's and being a fan of Brian etc. You are totally entitled to your opinion, and i think unlike many forums, all the regular posters on here are logical people. I do think that you have to consider that Brian spent a lot of time in England and that's where he must have learned sarcasm. That said. I think 13 is a valid album, albeit very tongue in cheek. He doesn't slag rockabilly's, he embraces them. And anyway, if anyone on this planet HAS earned the right to have a go at Rockabilly, it surel has to be the man who brought it back to life.. What's the phrase - i brought you into yhis world, so i reserve the right to take you out of it!!!

Mikey right to replyabilly

Don't get me wrong Mikey, I do think its a very valid album, the guitar work on it is fabulous and for that alone its worth having and I can see the great creativity in it. I just feel that, probably lyrically it falls short of some of the stuff that went before, I accept that not a lot of people on this forum agree with that, it is really a very personal perspective. I have to say though, Mickey, Brian can do what he wants and Im sure the opinion of some 'know it all Paddy' wont put him up or down! but i cant agree with Brian being nasty to some part of his fan base, just don't think its a very respectful thing to do! When I got the album, that was the first thing that struck me. I place a lot of store in anything Brian does and I think that that kinda makes it worse.
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 6:13 pm

Mikey right to replyabilly[/quote]

Don't get me wrong Mikey, I do think its a very valid album, the guitar work on it is fabulous and for that alone its worth having and I can see the great creativity in it. I just feel that, probably lyrically it falls short of some of the stuff that went before, I accept that not a lot of people on this forum agree with that, it is really a very personal perspective. I have to say though, Mickey, Brian can do what he wants and Im sure the opinion of some 'know it all Paddy' wont put him up or down! but i cant agree with Brian being nasty to some part of his fan base, just don't think its a very respectful thing to do! When I got the album, that was the first thing that struck me. I place a lot of store in anything Brian does and I think that that kinda makes it worse.[/quote]

Ok dext. You obviously have your own opinion, which i respect. \i gotta tell ya though....\Brian has never expressed himself to me in a negative way about any kind of music. (when i say to me, i don't mean like i know him personally, i mean in his inferrence) He generally respects all professional art forms. ut if that's how he comes across to you on this album, then maybe he's failed in his interpretation in some way. Either way, i love the man's music and all of his interpretations. So, Brian, if you've taken the piss out of rockabilly, then pay your professional price old bean..

Mikey the diplomat x
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 7:13 pm

To Dexter's point about brilliant guitar work outshining the lyrical content:

I think some of the best material Brian has put out are cover songs or collaborations with other writers/musicians. I don't have the entire catalog out in front of me, but quite a few of the songs he's recorded fall into one of these two categories. I would love to hear some of the stories surrounding the collaborations. Did Brian provide a lot of the lyrics, some of the lyrics, or just the music? I'm sure it varies by tune. Over the years the list of credited or co-credited songwriters includes the Paine Brothers, Joe Strummer, Mark Winchester, Tommy Byrnes, Bernie Taupin, Mike Himelstein and, of course, Lee Rocker and Slim Jim Phantom.

For example, Keep On Running (from Let's Go Faster) is credited to Brian Setzer and Bernie Taupin. Now when Bernie Taupin works with Elton John, Bernie is usually responsible for the lyric, while Elton comes up with the piano and some of the band arrangement. I would love to know how this Bernie and Brian partnership came about.

With the Paine Brothers, most of their contributions were fully-formed songs that they performed live and recorded. One of these songs, Gina, was absolutely transformed by Slim Jim's Peggy Sue beat and Brian's twangin'. Great lyric + amazing musicians = unbeatable song.

Who Would Love This Car But Me and Sammy Davis City are just a couple of the songs co-written by Setzer and Joe Strummer. Man, would I love to have been a fly on the wall for those songwriting sessions...

Even on one of my favorites on 13, Don't Say You Love Me, Brian is taking a relatively unknown songwriter, Matt Rocker (no relation to Lee), and weaving this brilliant guitar tapestry around his fine lyric. And then there's the uncredited part of the creative process - the musicians. Ronnie Crutcher's bass work on Take a Chance On Love is one of the highlights of the album for me. And including Slim Jim Phantom on Really Rockabilly was a shrewd move, to be sure. It almost gives additional credibility to the song, the way John Lennon's How Do You Sleep (a lyrical assault on Paul McCartney) was strengthened with the presence of George Harrison's lead guitar.

Is there a point here? Not really. scratch Except that 13 had more Setzer-only writing credits than any other album, with only two covers. And the article I posted previously about the production team helped show what a collaborative effort did for the guitar sounds on this album - they're amazing! Perhaps if there were a songwriting partner with whom Brian could bounce off a few ideas (not sure how easy it is to find that in Minneapolis) it might have been an even stronger album.

Word Up-a-billy
Back to top Go down
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 7:46 am

Thats a good point Rick, it has always fascinated me , how the creative process words, obviously with different collaborators there will be a slightly different style, The example you gave of the Paine Brothers is a gudn, you can really see the impact of their own sound on the Brian recordings, on the Paine Brother's album of the time, a lot of the tracks are quite similar in presentation as Brian's versions on LNG. I suppose with that creative process, it really depends on where the artist is at that particular time, look at some of the tracks off Rock Therapy, I don't really know what was happening with the Cats at the time those tracks were being recorded but you can definately see the individual influences which then went on to be Phantom Rocker and Slick and then TKFLJ and LNG. But would love to hear Brian's take on writing those tracks. TKFLJ definately has a bit of a Jason and the Scorchers/Springsteen feel, was he listening to some of these albums at that time. Got any idea?
Back to top Go down
Uky

Uky

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:30 am

Let me say hi to everybody at this formu first (this is my first reply)... bounce
I got 13 as a christmas present when it got out (it 2 was years back, right?) from my girlfriend, anyway.... in few words I have to agree in small part with everybody - it is not a typical BS album (I too was shocked a bit when listening it for the first time), but still rocks (most of it).
As for Really rockabilly... it's just Brians opinion, and Brian is just a man from flesh and blood, like you and me.

Best song: When Hepcat Gets The Blues!

P.S. Can anybody tell me how Rockin by myself sound like? I mean is it like fulltime fingerpicking (I am a big fan of fingerpicking), or is it like more acoustic version of his songs... cause it is practically impossible to get it here in Europe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redfivepointstar.com
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 11:19 am

Uky wrote:
Let me say hi to everybody at this formu first (this is my first reply)... bounce
I got 13 as a christmas present when it got out (it 2 was years back, right?) from my girlfriend, anyway.... in few words I have to agree in small part with everybody - it is not a typical BS album (I too was shocked a bit when listening it for the first time), but still rocks (most of it).
As for Really rockabilly... it's just Brians opinion, and Brian is just a man from flesh and blood, like you and me.

Best song: When Hepcat Gets The Blues!

P.S. Can anybody tell me how Rockin by myself sound like? I mean is it like fulltime fingerpicking (I am a big fan of fingerpicking), or is it like more acoustic version of his songs... cause it is practically impossible to get it here in Europe.

Great album Uky, lots of pickin' bluegrass style, Crawdad hole is a belter!! some great acoustic work with bro Gary on Bye Bye love, the high point for me, and the odd use of a pedal on some tracks. No gaps in sound though, Brian alone fills the space perfectly, a truely great cd, definately one of my favs, if you can get your hands on it, you should!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the Cd 13 really rocks!   the Cd 13 really rocks! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

the Cd 13 really rocks!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2