The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need help with 9 lives

Go down 
+2
scatcatcnut
1954inMemphis
6 posters
AuthorMessage
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

Need help with 9 lives Empty
PostSubject: Need help with 9 lives   Need help with 9 lives EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 5:06 am

Hi!

I am looking for the last two chords at the end of 9 Lives right here at this line:

Quote :
no more women this time

I tried to hear them out but had no luck, must be some 7/9/13#### stuff I do not really understand. Please can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot!

Sascha
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Need help with 9 lives   Need help with 9 lives EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 8:08 am

that cathy and nick site has tab for that
Back to top Go down
WildCat

WildCat

PostSubject: Re: Need help with 9 lives   Need help with 9 lives EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 9:38 am

And click HERE for the page being referred to...

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

PostSubject: Re: Need help with 9 lives   Need help with 9 lives EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 11:47 am

Ah, ok it´s the G9 and C9 chord...

Why didn´t me idiot have a look myself at Cathy & Nicks page before? scratch geek

Thanks folks!
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Need help with 9 lives   Need help with 9 lives EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 1:57 pm

It sounds like a diminished chord to me (never used tabs, just ears Cool ), so I found this little clip on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA305420u5w

If you pause the video on 4:33, you'll see it's a G#dim.

E-----4---- (3rd finger)
A-----X--- (mute)
D-----3--- (1st finger)
G-----4--- (4th finger)
B-----3--- (2nd finger)
E-----X--- (mute)

And then you move it up the neck, three and three frets.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/builtforspeedband
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: Need help with 9 lives   Need help with 9 lives EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 2:19 pm

gretschoholic wrote:
It sounds like a diminished chord to me (never used tabs, just ears Cool )

...you'll see it's a G#dim.

And then you move it up the neck, three and three frets.

I completely agree.

Tabs/transcriptions aren't always right. That site has a lot of good transcriptions on it, but everyone's interpretation can be a little bit different, and in this case and with some of the other songs, I think they're a little off in terms of chords, notes, and fingering positions.

Here's a little theory too, to help you out in understanding what Brian Setzer is doing there. The song started in the key of Cm and modulated twice to C#m and finally to Dm in the section we're talking about. Notice that the root note (C) of the C9 chord isn't played. Well, that's because the C9 is equivalent to a Gm6. Both have the notes (Bb, D, E, G). Thus, you could look at the C9 as really a Gm6. So essentially, what' happening here {from the Dm-Gm6-Abdim7(or G#dim7)-Bdim7-Ddim7-Fdim7} is a jazz-blues change (i-iv.-bVdim7) that resolves back to the Dm tonic chord. You see him do this alot during the middle bars of a 12-bar jazz blues (i.e. Route 66 or Sittin On It).

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

PostSubject: Re: Need help with 9 lives   Need help with 9 lives EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 3:12 pm

Thanks to Davy and gretschoholic

I tried to play both ideas of the 9 and the dim chords and together with the video definately the dim version sounds much better as in fact it´s original. Although I use to play the high e-string instead of the lower e. Sounds jazzier and is at least for me easier to reach...
Back to top Go down
Eddie Lee

Eddie Lee

PostSubject: Re: Need help with 9 lives   Need help with 9 lives EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 11:10 pm

Excellent, Davy! Jazz-blues, man, you gotta dig it! Play that diminished chord (or call it X7b9, in another way to look at it) run: up the neck a m3rd (3 frets) and imagine the dastardly villain attempting to harm our hero's fair maiden (you know, melodrama!) and you will instantly hear the diminished feature. Ear training is good for you, man!
These dim chords can be confusing, but, useful in a transitional way, just as Davy described the theory. Remember, they are stacks of minor 3rd intervals and any note in the stack can be considered the root. Beautifully versatile!
This tune, though not hardcore jazz, is an excellent jazz-blues and a good one to learn as it's not super difficult yet cooler than....well, it's pretty danged cool!
BTW, Nick disclaimed this tab as not 100%. As one that has spent hours focusing on Transcribe! playback at 15% speed, I know it can be easy to lose interest in a tune sometimes. He is a prolific Transcribe! master, in my book.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thefunnbrothers.com
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Need help with 9 lives   Need help with 9 lives EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 12:13 pm

I agree that some of the tabs are not spot on on the site but as usually get you within very close striking distance plus can't argue with the hard work put in on them. site is labour of love cos it's all free. as I am too lazy/busy to try to work stuff out off the record these days I can usually get what I need off nick's tabs.

definitely a must visit for setzer guitar playing fans!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with 9 lives   Need help with 9 lives Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with 9 lives
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Forum That Came Back From The Dead :: WELCOME TO THE TWILIGHT ZONE :: GUITAR RELATED DISCUSSION-
Jump to: