The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?

Go down 
+15
Guitarmaniac
scatcatcnut
jetbunny
alka-setzer
donpepe
ArtVandelay
Kid Setzer
Vinny
Pompado'er
Davy Jones
brett
Mike
PICKIN' PETE
webelvis
Patrick
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Patrick

Patrick

How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? Empty
PostSubject: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 11:57 am

Perhaps Brian would like to know about his fans...
drunken

Well....I started playing guitar about 1977 when I heard somebody play "Smoke on the water".
That bit blew me away. From that day on I'm a guitar player!
Oh, I was about 13 years old.
I'm 43 now.
How about you?

Last edited by Patrick on Mon May 26, 2008 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Nice Topic!!! Very Happy
I started when I was 8 or 9 years old,
wow,I just realized, that I almost play half my live Smile
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Hey Patrick,
Umm, I think I started to play maybe when I was 14-15 years old. I didn't really get into it until I bought my first 'real' guitar, a Hofner Les Paul copy which I still have. Played in a few bands and unfortunately the Rockabilly scene was full of wankers, so I stoped playing 'live'.
Took some lessons at Uni with a jazz guitar student and it evolved from there. Stray Cat Strut still is the song that made me wanna learn how to play.
Oh yeah, seeing a blonde quiffed guitar slinger 4 times less than 2 metres away may have also inspired me a little!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 3:23 pm

Got my first acoustic at 14, threw it under the bed for a few years, really strated playing at 20.
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 4:27 pm

i was 12. started with acoustic and had some lessons.
later i played eletric guitar and a few years bass also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 5:12 pm

Since the 3rd meeting of the Brethren (Pirates) Court!

No, seriously, I started in my teens, and have been playing for awhile now. I took lessons for a few years when I started and I really should credit my instructor for stressing the importance of learning diff. styles. I pretty much ran/run the gamut from rockabilly & jazz (Stray Cats, BSO, Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt, etc.) to Rock/Metal (Rolling Stones, Metallica, Doors, Led Zeppelin, etc.) to neoclassical/classical pieces (Romanza, Malaguena, Mediterranean Sundance, etc.) and assorted tunes (soundtracks, country, etc.). Like many other people, Stray Cat Strut and Rock This Town were the 1st Setzer songs I learned.
Back to top Go down
Pompado'er

Pompado'er

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 8:02 pm

Ha, I can beat all of ya! I started two years ago when I was 34!!!! Still sound like crap though.....lol but getting better!
Back to top Go down
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptySat May 17, 2008 1:15 am

Pompado'er wrote:
Ha, I can beat all of ya! I started two years ago when I was 34!!!! Still sound like crap though.....lol but getting better!

I come close there, i started 4 years ago, but im only 19. But i think it was time well spent, i wish i started when i was like 7 or 8. *hangs head*
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptySat May 17, 2008 1:34 am

I started when I was 15.. almost 19 now so close to 4 years... I've been playing the drums since I was 9 though Very Happy

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptySat May 17, 2008 1:39 am

Since I was 12 and I'm 16 in 9 days. I stopped playing for about a a year when I was 13 though Evil or Very Mad. But now that I have
<<that guitar that'll never happen again. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptySat May 17, 2008 10:22 am

I've been playing gigs for 27 years.

Last edited by donpepe on Mon May 19, 2008 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alka-setzer

alka-setzer

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptySun May 18, 2008 12:50 am

I bought my first acoustic when I was 34 im 39 (and holding Very Happy ) I started taking lessons about a year ago to help the learning process. I sat in with my teachers band a couiple times now.
Back to top Go down
jetbunny

jetbunny

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptySun May 18, 2008 11:13 pm

15 years old. And I still feel like a newbie everyday.
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:10 am

started at 13 and still play every single day - even have crappy squier strat in car for any chances I get to play whilst waiting to pick wife up etc!
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:11 am

Hey scatcatnut,
Holy Shit!! I thought it was only ME that did stuff like that! hahahaha!
I remember busking with a mate of mine when we were 18 and not caring if we made money or not, as long as we got to play!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:26 pm

I've been playing acoustic guitar since 2nd grade, so I've been playing for about 7 3/4 years.
I started playing electric guitar about 3 3/4 years ago, it was really like after playing 4 years acoustic.
I still play alot of classic things like Leo Brouwer oder right now some Gaspar Sanz stuff.
With my electric right now i mostly play rockabilly, rock'n roll and blues but I'm also a Fan of other stuff.
I played alot of RHCP which still are my favourite Band besides the Stray Cats.
But also other things like Dinosaur Jr, Hendrix etc.
ATM I'm really playing alot to get better at rockabilly fingerpicking.
I guess because I've been playing acoustic half of my life this is not that much of a problem, but it's great if I notice I'm getting better because when I started it I really had problems "keeping the thumb goin'".

Wow, when I started to write I just wanted to write 2-3 sentences^^
Back to top Go down
http://rhcp-online.de
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 2:57 am

Hi Pete

Not only the crappy squier but also a pocket pod and a credit card sized metronome plus a shubb capo and a brass 'bottleneck' and a folder full of tabs may have time to learn one day! It's been an obssession since 1973 so I suppose it's not going away any time soon!

Holy Shit!! I thought it was only ME that did stuff like that! hahahaha!
Back to top Go down
Flattop Rob

Flattop Rob

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 2:32 pm

Well, I started when I was 44...and I'm 44 right now...so, I guess it's been about a month now!

Mel Bay is my best friend!

Rob
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Flattop Rob wrote:
Well, I started when I was 44...and I'm 44 right now...so, I guess it's been about a month now!

Mel Bay is my best friend!

Rob

Well at least you're in sunny Florida!
In Holland we have 3 weeks of hot summer!
And no sharks...
Back to top Go down
Flattop Rob

Flattop Rob

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyFri May 23, 2008 9:59 am

Patrick wrote:

And no sharks...

We have plenty...and not all of them are in the ocean! Very Happy
Rob
Back to top Go down
alka-setzer

alka-setzer

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyThu May 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey flattop always glad to hear that someone older than me decided to torture themselves tryin to learn to play this thing! I've been playing a few years now but started with lessons from our local (70 yo) guitar hero, when I first started learning I didnt want to waste money on lessons but ive been taking lesson that last year or so and wow have I gotten better much quicker. Ive got to sit in with his band a couple times now and its really cool. I know some people who have played out alot probably think whats the big deal, but when he asked me to play I finally felt like I acomplished something. I am still mainly a rhythm player but I have a blast and can actually play Stray Cat Strut all the way through( woo woo) and I think ive got my teacher talked into playing it live.
I just want to encourage you to play alot and dont give up. As far as guitar choices Play alot of different guitars before you buy one and but the one you for whatever reason, fall in love with.

PS the screen name alkasetzer came from the first time on stage with my orange hollowbody my teacher introduced me as Brian Setzers brother ALka.......my teach plays better than he tells jokes/
Back to top Go down
Yvon

Yvon

PostSubject: RE: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 11:11 pm

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum.

I was 12 when I started playing guitar. That was in the early 70's. Being from Montréal, QC, my local guitar hero (answering another post at the same time) was Michel Pagliaro. Seing this guy really made me want to play guitar. When I was 17 I stopped playing for a few years. I regret this to this day. But somewhere around 1982 I bought the first Stray Cats album. The rest is not quite history though ;-)

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sentiers.ca
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 7:48 am

@Yvon:
Is that a Supersonic in your avatar?
I'm really interested in buying one because the overdrive of my FM 65 really sucks and i like the versatility (did I write that the right way?) of the Supersonic.
I once tested it with my Strat and it sounded really nice, especially the Bassman setting was awsome.
Is it good for Rockabilly etc.?
Would be great if you could tell me more about this amp.

Greets from Munich
Chris
Back to top Go down
Yvon

Yvon

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Hello Chris, the Amp is a 1959 Fender Bandmaster. I use channel 2 wich also has Vibrato(Rarely use that though). It sounds great for rockabilly, blues and rock'n'roll in general. However one has to be able to put the main volume at least around 5 or 6 to get that nice distorsion we all appreciate. When played in the appartment I have to use a pedal to get the proper sound.

The Gretsch is a 1960 6120. I was lucky enough to find both the amp and the guitar in Montreal. That was in the early 80's when I was trying to be like... "THE MASTER". ;-)

I paid $850 for the amp(overprice at that time) and $1000 for the Gretsch...
Back to top Go down
http://www.sentiers.ca
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 2:54 pm

Awsome Amp!! Great Guitar!! Shocked
I would really like to have one of those but I think I'll go for the Supersonic because I like to have an overdrive Channel so i can also play things with more drive without breaking our house in 2 pieces^^
I don't know if thats to Off Topic, but If someone has made experiences with the supersonic and would be able to tell me something about it that would be really great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?   How old were YOU when you started playing guitar? Empty

Back to top Go down

How old were YOU when you started playing guitar?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next