The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Strings and Finish care care

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
onefin

onefin

Strings and  Finish care care Empty
PostSubject: Strings and Finish care care   Strings and  Finish care care EmptyThu May 15, 2008 12:37 am

2 questions I have

I own the G6120SSLVO (thank to my beautiful wife!) I am fairly sure that is the (Thin Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish) even though a "guitar guy" told me it was not............. so what is the best way to care for that finish?

And string recommendations what does Brian use on his?

Thanks

Clay
Back to top Go down
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: Strings and Finish care care   Strings and  Finish care care EmptyThu May 15, 2008 1:20 am

Are you asking what he uses on his strings or the strings he uses? I'm pretty sure Brian uses D, Addario EXL110 (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046)
OR D'Addario ECG24 Chrome (.011, .015, .022, .030, .040, .50)
OR D'Addario ECG25 Chrome (.012, ,.016, .024, .032, .032, .052)
(or at least those are good strings to use for Setzer stuff)
And for string care I use rubbbing alcohol. But you might want to ask Tommy to see if he knows what Brian uses. (He knows everything)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
onefin

onefin

PostSubject: Thanks, Strings Finish Toggles and how much?   Strings and  Finish care care EmptyThu May 15, 2008 2:03 am

Sorry let me clarify

What are the recommendations for Finish care

the other question was what kind of strings does Brian use on his Gretsch (thanks for the answer)

Also I have an ever so slight buzzing in the action suggestions? I had a tech put a straight edge on the frets and one of the higher frets I think 12 was out of plane which he helped me knock down ever so slightly...... Is the Bigsby adjustable to bring up the action ? HMMM

Clay

and does any on have a picture of the tops of the pickup selector toggle switches when I got mine home I realized that mine had been probably swiped in store so I orded new stock from gretsch they did fit although a bit tight did the G6120SSLVO come with the stock small nickle plated tops

Question to anyone what did you pay for your Gretsch? Nashville
Back to top Go down
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: Strings and Finish care care   Strings and  Finish care care EmptyThu May 15, 2008 4:02 am

I did notice on mine that there is rattling of the strings when I play it acousticly but I kind of put it off because I play at 6 with headphones on. When I do a full bend on the 14th fret you can barely hear the guitar at all. (But no problems plugged. In just sucks because I love being able to not have to strap my mini amp on my belt when I walk around my house.) Also, the strings come of the bridge VERY easily when I play songs like Jeff's Boogie and Switchblade 327. Is this a grestch thing? Because they slip off very easily. Sorry for asking so many questions on your topic. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Strings and Finish care care   Strings and  Finish care care EmptyThu May 15, 2008 8:08 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:
I did notice on mine that there is rattling of the strings when I play it acousticly but I kind of put it off because I play at 6 with headphones on. When I do a full bend on the 14th fret you can barely hear the guitar at all. (But no problems plugged. In just sucks because I love being able to not have to strap my mini amp on my belt when I walk around my house.) Also, the strings come of the bridge VERY easily when I play songs like Jeff's Boogie and Switchblade 327. Is this a grestch thing? Because they slip off very easily. Sorry for asking so many questions on your topic. Embarassed

I had this identical problem with my 6118, to found that the noise came from the roller bar bridge,
I swaped it out with a tune-o-matic from my ibanez artcore af85, and havent heard the noise since. (acoustically)
Back to top Go down
onefin

onefin

PostSubject: Slippage   Strings and  Finish care care EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:14 am

Yes I am actually glad to hear that the strings also slip easily for someone else i thought there was something I was doing wrong. I wonder if Lighting up the ga. would help? I think I heard using 11 ga throughout and dropping to 10 ga on the E and A as to attempt to keep a fatter sound throughout. Maybe a GOOD guitar guy could modify the depth of the notches on the bridge. I have never seen anyone at a gig have this problem but I can imagine it would be a bummer right on a big bend
Back to top Go down
onefin

onefin

PostSubject: Probably some great stuff in here   Strings and  Finish care care EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:44 am

http://www.gretschguitars.com/resources/
Back to top Go down
Rockabilly Ross

Rockabilly Ross

PostSubject: Re: Strings and Finish care care   Strings and  Finish care care EmptySun May 18, 2008 1:26 am

I paid $1,780.00 for my SSLVO on Ebay. Guitar Center wanted from $2,250.00 to $2,700.00 here in Southern California. The guitar is great and had a couple of very small issues that was able to resolve myself with no problems. All is perfect now.

And yes, all SSLVO's have the Laquer finish, no exceptions. SSLVO stands for Setzer Signature Laquer Vintage Orange. The guy who told you it was not laquer, did not know what he was talking about.

Have a Gretsch day !

Ross sunny
Back to top Go down
onefin

onefin

PostSubject: Thanks   Strings and  Finish care care EmptyWed May 21, 2008 12:18 am

Thanks RR
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strings and Finish care care   Strings and  Finish care care Empty

Back to top Go down

Strings and Finish care care
Page 1 of 1