The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.

Go down 
+15
Davy Jones
PeroxideBlonde
NJ_Stray_Cat
kbilly
SwanseaCity
Pirate Paul
ufopsi
Budgie
TommyM
Pinkpiratekitty
rickabilly
carboncat
webelvis
PICKIN' PETE
Vinny
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Vinny

Vinny

The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. Empty
PostSubject: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:51 am

Well guys I'm sitting on the edge of my bed and thinking about todays rediculous events. Today my band played along with one other band at the Wachovia Spectrum in Philadelphia. We were the first band to go on. We started off the activites right with the good ol' standard Johnny b. Goode. We were a big hit. The other band, a bunch of middle aged gentlemen who were very nice played more of 60's hits, Cream and CCR type stuff. We were kind of the opening act. And now this post really gets interesting.

we were about 20 min into our set and we supposed to play for an hour, thats pretty normal. And we head right into Led Zepplin's "Rock and Roll", not a bad rockabilly song in its own right. But we rocked the house. The Crowd loved it, people were movin and having a great time. This tells me what i already knew. Rockabilly really is the ultimate party music. But the other band was having none of it. They cut us off at 20 min. I dont really think they appreciated it at all. It was really weird when pretty nice guys at the beggining of the show all of the sudden become complete jerks. I just doesnt make any sense. It had to be the music. Don't get me wrong, we weren't bad at all. Infact, we were really on tonite, so not to toot my own horn, but......"toot".

Its a weird thing, every crowd we have ever played for has loved our blend of rockabilly and rock, but every band and bar owner and people we pitch playing to hate it. I don't get it.

Have you guys experianced this sort of double standard, after all its about what the crowd likes, isnt it?
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 7:29 am

Hey Vinny,
You're not alone!!
I love to play at the Gaslight Tavern because we can play whatever pops into our heads and EVERYONE loves it cause we're the ONLY rockabilly band to play there constantely.
An example that we did 2 weeks ago was Stray Cat Strut, Rock This Town, Tainted Love, Rock'n Roll by Zep and finished with Foxy Lady! 5 quick songs done to our brand of rockin', they love it because they ARE great songs! Some other bands don't like it because we aren't purists, unfortunately from the Rockabilly and other genre bands. But I say fuck them because it's music and it SHOULD be played! I don't critize other bands/musos of their talents and I don't expect it back! I'll never be Brian, but I don't think that he'll mind me playing my own version of his songs, and I don't mind if he plays his own version of my songs!
In regards to the other band cutting you out, I don't condone violence but I would've made my feelings known. It sounds like that you guys being younger were taken for a ride by these older guys. That sucks and let us know who they are and we'll take care of them...we have "FRIENDS" everywhere!! haha!!
Take it easy and play whatever YOU wan't, if it's well done the crowd will always enjoy it!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 8:53 am

O.k. right on the beginning, I'm an other generation, than most of you.
many people in my age don't like Rockabilly music cause they think it isn't cool. In Fact rockabilly is the perfect Party music, it goes straight into your legs!
An example: Some People from my class went to a dance school in the afternoon, and they discovered the Jive, and with the Dance they discovered the music. One of the most important things I learned as a musician is, that you can't say that's bad music. It's okay if you don't like it, but that doesn't have to say, that it's bad! Look at this Video, there are so many different styles, but they all work together perfectly:click!

My best Friend is a drummer, and we're very often playing together. He loves Funk in the style of the Red hot Chili Peppers, and some modern Punk, but when we play together, it all fits together, cause everybody is saying, yeah, that's good music. We also recorded a Setzer Songt last Summer: The dirty Boogie. We played it different than the BSO, one reason was that we only had one Saxophone instead of the complete Big Horn section, and the other one was, that we wanted to make it ours so we made a bit more a Punk song, and I think it sounds nice!

Greetz: Paul
Back to top Go down
carboncat

carboncat

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 9:29 am

I don't know and I might be barking up the wrong tree Embarassed Embarassed
But I think that most people today are brainwashed with the music thats about ie: techno,rapping,dance,etc,etc and are almost scared to go along with anything classed as old or unusual and old.My son loves rockabilly at home,but when I play it loud in the car and there are younger people about he will shut the windows or turn off the cd player,as if embarrassed.
I am not one to judge,because its everyone to thier own,but I dont think half the folks have got any taste anymore,but its right what you say. What gets peoples feet tapping and bodies moving at a party?? its nearly always a rock n roll or rockabilly number. To Vinny,it sounds to me like the other band were a bit worried you were going to out do them,KEEP IT UP MATE!!
All the Best
Carbon Cat UK
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 10:32 am

I think Carbon Cat is dead on in bringing up the other band feeling a bit upstaged. You won over Philly sports fans, and that's no small accomplishment. They tend to be a tough crowd, famously booing Santa Claus once at a Sixers game.

I'm not saying you should become exclusionary "really rockabillies," but just recognize that you are playing a form of music completely ignored by radio, tv, and most forms of media. The middle aged former yuppies and boomers have been force-fed Classic Rock for more than 25 years - practically turning their back on anything before 1964, or seeking shelter from rap and hip-hop by by embracing the new pop - "country" music. Meanwhile, the under-30 crowd has access to so many different styles of music, they may not have time to put the effort in to find the diamonds in the rockin' rough. But the folks who do find you are likely to support you with great enthusiasm as the music can't help but move them.

Just keep doin' what you're doin' and the right people will find you.

Keepin' the Faith-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 11:16 am

Im lucky that my daughter is into the whole rock-a-billy scene, and doesn't care what others think about that type of music. Here in So Calif, most "greasers" are into psychobilly. I just kinda laugh at them, since it's really surfpunk in disguise, just adding the whole horror movie twist to it.

That other band needs to get a life and realize that sometimes the headliner is not what the crowd wants. Of course im sure that their ego was hurt a little. Rockabilly music is for lack of a better word, a little more moral. It gives you the intention, and you get to think about what happends next. Rap, hip-hop, etc. leaves nothing up to the imagination. It pretty much lays it all out "im gonna f'*$& that bitch, etc." Rockabilly is flirty, not dirty. Of course in the 50's, it was considered racy. It gets you feet moving, and you can actually understand what they're saying, and just makes you smile and feel like the day is going to be great.

I'll step off my soapbox now. Smile

Anyway - keep rockin in your own style.

PPK cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kitkattat
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 11:54 am

rickabilly wrote:
They tend to be a tough crowd, famously booing Santa Claus once at a Sixers game.

Rickster,
That actually happened in the mid 1970s at a Philadelphia Eagles game. And in defense of my fellow Philadelphians, the fat guy had it coming. He was also pelted with iceballs and beer cups.

Philadelphia freedom, shine on me.....

T
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:23 pm

TommyM wrote:
rickabilly wrote:
They tend to be a tough crowd, famously booing Santa Claus once at a Sixers game.

Rickster,
That actually happened in the mid 1970s at a Philadelphia Eagles game. And in defense of my fellow Philadelphians, the fat guy had it coming. He was also pelted with iceballs and beer cups.

Philadelphia freedom, shine on me.....

T

"The fat guy had it coming"? HAHAHAHA! Spoken like a true Phillies fan!

Still smarting from the 1980 World Series,

KC Royals-billy
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 1:44 pm

TommyM wrote:
And in defense of my fellow Philadelphians, the fat guy had it coming. He was also pelted with iceballs and beer cups.

You know you're dealing with a tough crowd when they build a holding cell and court room in their new football stadium...

City of Brothery Love me arse!! Maybe Cain & Abel brotherly love...

Donovan McBudge
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
ufopsi

ufopsi

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Well, fellow cats, let me add my story. You know I live in south Switzerland. There is quite no rockabilly, just hit parade, alternative, heavy metal and techno. At college, I could put a CD in class, as I was forced by the students to shut it down (someone else put another CD).

Most don't know what rockabilly is, or if they do they think it's shit and that those who like it are gays (I swear one guy told me so!).

One time, I was walking in a city called Lugano. There were some guys recording interviews on the street for a local radio, stopping people and asking what kind of music they liked. So, they asked me and after I told them the magic word, the guy stopped the recorder and asked "What is thaaat????".

At the time Ignition! came out, I went to a big music store called "city disk" in Lugano... and they never heard of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ufopsi.com
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 6:32 pm

ufopsi wrote:
Well, fellow cats, let me add my story. You know I live in south Switzerland. There is quite no rockabilly, just hit parade, alternative, heavy metal and techno. At college, I could put a CD in class, as I was forced by the students to shut it down (someone else put another CD).

Most don't know what rockabilly is, or if they do they think it's shit and that those who like it are gays (I swear one guy told me so!).

One time, I was walking in a city called Lugano. There were some guys recording interviews on the street for a local radio, stopping people and asking what kind of music they liked. So, they asked me and after I told them the magic word, the guy stopped the recorder and asked "What is thaaat????".

At the time Ignition! came out, I went to a big music store called "city disk" in Lugano... and they never heard of it.

How sad - I hope you find some fellow billy's to share in your good taste!
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Why bother with labels? Rockabilly or not, the real question is, "How do you feel when you hear it?" There's plenty of rockabilly music that doesn't quite do it for me, but good music is good music. "Johnny B Goode" and Zep's "Rock-n-Roll" are great tunes, but they're, well, rock-n-roll more than they are rockabilly, no matter how much slap bass and Mystery Train licks you wanna impose on 'em. As far as explaining it to the non-affiliated, once the general public hears the 'billy part of the word, you've stumped 'em, and it's only human nature to fear the unknown.

Even Stray Cats don't always fit the rockabilly bill. For example, "How Long You Wanna Live Anyway" is a great, rockin' song, but what about it is rockabilly? "Wild Saxophone" is not rockabilly. I could go down the list and probably find that at least a third of the Stray Cats' studio material does not really fit the label "rockabilly." I said it before - Stray Cats are a not a great rockabilly band - they're a great band. Period.

What was the question again?

Billy-billy
Back to top Go down
Pirate Paul

Pirate Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 6:57 pm

rickabilly wrote:
Rockabilly or not, the real question is, "How do you feel when you hear it?"
bounce Couldnt have said it better myself. To me, thats what its all about! bounce

Like a Star @ heaven I'll sing Amen to that brother Rickabilly!! Like a Star @ heaven

Cheers PP pirat
Back to top Go down
SwanseaCity

SwanseaCity

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 7:02 pm

OKay Rick - I give up! I understand what you mean about a large proportion of the Stary Cats material not being RAB, but I am completely flummuxed about your choice of "How Long You Wanna Live Anyway?" I've sat here mulling it over, I've played it 6 times on my itunes, and I just don't get it mate.

It's got to be about the most RAB of any song the boys ever did - hasn't it? or do I need mental health care?
Back to top Go down
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 8:04 pm

rickabilly wrote:
Why bother with labels? Rockabilly or not, the real question is, "How do you feel when you hear it?" There's plenty of rockabilly music that doesn't quite do it for me, but good music is good music. "Johnny B Goode" and Zep's "Rock-n-Roll" are great tunes, but they're, well, rock-n-roll more than they are rockabilly, no matter how much slap bass and Mystery Train licks you wanna impose on 'em. As far as explaining it to the non-affiliated, once the general public hears the 'billy part of the word, you've stumped 'em, and it's only human nature to fear the unknown.

Even Stray Cats don't always fit the rockabilly bill. For example, "How Long You Wanna Live Anyway" is a great, rockin' song, but what about it is rockabilly? "Wild Saxophone" is not rockabilly. I could go down the list and probably find that at least a third of the Stray Cats' studio material does not really fit the label "rockabilly." I said it before - Stray Cats are a not a great rockabilly band - they're a great band. Period.

What was the question again?

Billy-billy

Hey - did you steal my soapbox?
Back to top Go down
kbilly

kbilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 8:27 pm

well ok.i for one am glad rockabilly is not mainsteam. When i find an old tune its like a piece of gold. I hold it up it glitters in my eyes and passers by only wonder why that guy is starin' at that rock. Nobody crowds around to try and steal it from me.
Back to top Go down
NJ_Stray_Cat

NJ_Stray_Cat

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 10:59 pm

Vinny,
Sounds like to me that your band was kickin' major a** and those old farts KNEW they were getting upstaged and couldn't compete. Shame on them. Plain and simple you were a tough act to follow.

I also agree with a previous post that "good music is good music" regardless of the genre (except rap, can't have crap without the rap!!!). If a song makes me tap my foot or hum along, then it's alright in my book. I couldn't get that across to my band. The reason I am now bandless. Sad

IMHO, I would've confronted the guy to ask why my set was being cut short, but then again the guy probably wouldn't have the balls to tell you. Keep your head up and most of all, keep rockin' out!!! Cool

Steve
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 11:06 pm

SwanseaCity wrote:
OKay Rick - I give up! I understand what you mean about a large proportion of the Stary Cats material not being RAB, but I am completely flummuxed about your choice of "How Long You Wanna Live Anyway?" I've sat here mulling it over, I've played it 6 times on my itunes, and I just don't get it mate.

It's got to be about the most RAB of any song the boys ever did - hasn't it? or do I need mental health care?

It's a rockin' tune to be sure, but I consider it to be straight ahead rock-n-roll - not enough 'billy in it. It's more Chuck Berry and Little Richard than Charlie Feathers. It's a fine point of semantics, to be sure, and certainly open to opinion. For me, it's rockin', but not 'billy. In any case, it's a great tune, one of the best the Cats ever recorded.

Rick (no billy)
Back to top Go down
PeroxideBlonde

PeroxideBlonde

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 12:11 am

Vinny--
I agree with what most everyone is saying on the board. It sounds like your follow-up (?) band didn't want to be upstaged. Wrong as it is....I'm going to hazard a guess it comes with the territory.
I suggest you follow your instincts and it sounds as if you are right on in judging the reactions of the crowd. I'm not familiar with the venue you were playing, but dancing people get thirsty, and will buy beer. That should keep the bar owners happy.
If your age is correct on your avatar info, then I can also see why barkeeps, etc. have a hard time buying into your brand of music. They've got to be thinking, "What do these kids know about Johnny B Goode and Zepplin, etc??" And it's discriminating and frustrating. STICK TO YOUR GUNS! If you can make people happy and make them dance? Don't stop what you're doing! cheers
I think we have the concept for a book in here though:
If you give a Mouse some rockabilly, he'll probably want to dance. And if he starts to dance, he's going to want a beer. Chances are, when he drinks that beer, he'll crave some nachos. After eating the nachos he'll feel bloated. Hearing the rockabilly though, he'll realize his feet are already tapping. And if his feet are tapping to rockabilly he'll probably want to dance.....
Back to top Go down
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 11:29 am

I think we have the concept for a book in here though:
If you give a Mouse some rockabilly, he'll probably want to dance. And if he starts to dance, he's going to want a beer. Chances are, when he drinks that beer, he'll crave some nachos. After eating the nachos he'll feel bloated. Hearing the rockabilly though, he'll realize his feet are already tapping. And if his feet are tapping to rockabilly he'll probably want to dance.....[/quote]

You must either be a teacher of have little kids.

PPK cat
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 2:03 pm

To Vinny,

How bout' we give em' the black spot?

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 3:00 pm

quote]

You must either be a teacher of have little kids.

PPK cat[/quote]

Hey PPK,

I was thinking the exact same thing...and then I saw your post!

Rock on,
Bear85
Back to top Go down
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 5:04 pm

...and then when you've got the crowd warmed up and you know you're doing a great job, you step to the mic and say, "Thank you so much to [insert name of guys who are about to pull the pull on you]! I just want to say how much it means to us to be here today! " [to the crowd] "Are you guys psyched to see [insert name of guys who are about to pull the pull on you]?! Well, all right!"

And you just keep doing your thing. Rockabilly rules, OK?
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Rockabilly=THE BEAT THE BEAT THE BEAT

Or

How to wind up the clergy = Hank snow Jr. Laughing Cool Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 7:25 pm

quote]

Hey PPK,

I was thinking the exact same thing...and then I saw your post!

Rock on,
Bear85[/quote]

My youngest is 13, but I am an elementary school librarian - give a mouse a cookie!!

PPK cat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.   The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today. Empty

Back to top Go down

The Rejection and complete acceptance of Rockabilly today.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next