The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

amp choices?

Go down 
+25
59 Phantom
1954inMemphis
burner1
goodrockin'
Secret Agent Man
therealdeal
Mikey
Diggey
Vinny 2 Triumphs
NJ_Stray_Cat
Flatheadjack
Patrick
scatcatcnut
ArtVandelay
PICKIN' PETE
FDR8
Buddy
ratpack
brett
sidelakebob
gbrand59
alka-setzer
Mike
Vinny
tajon
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
burner1

burner1

amp choices? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 4:26 pm

wow, lots of great info.
As far as recording, what are you guys using? I saw a Champion mentioned in the thread. I have a tweed Blues Deluxe that I picked up in the mid 90's, which is great for gigging; but I'm an apartment dweller and would prefer to avoid eviction. Any suggestions as to smaller amps for home recording? At the risk of alienating anyone (including myself), does anyone have experience with the POD X3? I picked one up not too long ago and so far it's a very nice bean shaped paperweight.
burner1
Back to top Go down
http://www.burnersrock.com
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 4:29 am

I am playing through a 1994 Blues DeLuxe. I think it´s one of the top amps for Rockabilly sounds.

@burner

You might have a look at the new Fender Champ 600 or Gretsch G5222 which are similar. 6 Watts Tube Amp with an 8" Speaker. I am going to buy me one the next weeks, preferraby the Gretsch version.
Back to top Go down
59 Phantom

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 9:57 am

Lab5 mid 70's 100w 2x 12 ala BB King, clean solid state, changed out speakers ( warning don't let the son turn it to 11) with Savage Audio cleaning up things... Couple pedals for change of sound.
Back to top Go down
burner1

burner1

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 11:49 am

Thanks 1954inMemphis. These are two good options - I'm leaning towards the Fender; but you've got me curious about the Gretsch. I need to get out to a shop and play through them.
I recently moved and haven't been able to find the "neighborhood shop." I guess it's off to the Sam Ash megastore.
I have a Danelectro Nifty Fifty that I need to play around with a bit more. It's a fun amp; but I'm not convinced it's the answer.
Back to top Go down
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 11:56 am

As I said, both amps are technically the same but the Gretsch looks better

amp choices? - Page 2 G5222_front

amp choices? - Page 2 CHAMP600
Back to top Go down
burner1

burner1

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 11:01 pm

thanks for the pics. You're right, the Gretsch is MUCH better looking. If the sounds are in the same ballpark it will be an easy choice.
Back to top Go down
venturini

venturini

PostSubject: Hi!   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi guys...i'm new here! I'm from Portugal!

I have one Fender Blues Deville tweed and one Hiwatt custom 100 on my gear!

Rockabilly rules!
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 7:35 am

Since I'm looking for a new Amp and haven't still found the right one for me I'm looking around the web very much right now.

I found the ENGL Classic and it looks really nice, nearly like a Vintage Fender.
Someone on the GretschPages said that it sounded like a Bassman in the Clean Channel and a bit like a JTM 45 in the drive Channel.
Since I somehow can't get on the Gretschpages right now I can't find the thread at the moment.
So I'm asking here, if someone, somewhere has had any experiences with the ENGL Classic and can tell me waht it's like.

That would be really great

Greets from Munich
Chris
Back to top Go down
http://rhcp-online.de
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 2:03 pm

Engl Classic is a good Amp, if you want to play a little harder.
I like more Marshall, but this my taste.
For clean sounds or a little bit crunchy Fender is first, or little cheaper Peavey delta Blues, and Vox Amps.

What guitar do you play and what sound do you want to play?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 2:37 pm

ATM my main Guitar is a Fender Standart USA Strat.
But I want to get a SSLVO as soon as possible.
As I don't want to have to use the Poweramp breakup cause it's really loud I need an amp with an overdrive channel.
The Fender Supersonic also catched my eye and I was also looking for a Marshall DSL 50 but I heard the clean sound wasn't quite clean enough for Rockabilly and Jazz stuff.
I play mostly everything from Funky clean stuff like "Hump de Bump" by RHCP over
some BigBand Funk/Swing/xyz stuff but I also like AC/DC like stuff and of course Rockabilly.
So of course I need a bright, good clean channel and a rockin' overdrive mode.
I of course don't need Mesa/Boogie like Distortion which is why the Supersonic Drive Channel could be a bit too heavy sometimes.
The Only amp from those three I was able to test so far was the Supersonic, which btw looks best.
It was easy to get great Sounds but I don't want to close my eyes for other amps.

I hope you understood everything, out of school my English is really sloppy.
Thanks for tryin to help me!

Greets from Bavariabilly

Chris
Back to top Go down
johnny rocker

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 7:19 am

Twisted Evil The Laney LC 15 is a terrific sounding valve combo - but it benefits from 'Watford Valves' LC 15 upgrade kit - new set of valves and either Celestion Vintage G10 or Jensen C10 Q .It's plenty loud for 15 watts, warm responsive clean or raunchy, with good reverb. I use a Carl Martin 'Red Repeat' which is perfect for Rockabilly slap back echo .I play an Alden '6120' copy with Gretch Filtertrons and an Epiphone 'Joe Pass' with T.V. Jones 'Magnatrons' and Bigsby trem. ROCKIN'!!!!!
Back to top Go down
shaker

shaker

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:29 am

I use a Fender Super-Sonic with an old Boss ME5 for various delays.
Great Rockabilly sound
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:44 am

Shaker wrote:
I use a Fender Super-Sonic with an old Boss ME5 for various delays.
Great Rockabilly sound

oh, Fender Super Sonic? this new one?

How is the amp?

Does this amp bring this fantastic Fender Clean Sound AND a High Gain Sound aswell?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 11:20 am

I tried the Super Sonic Once in our local Music Shop.
It really has a shiny Fender Clean Channel, the Bassman/Vibrolux Switch brings you 2 Great Clean Channels at once.
As I'm not a fan of high gain I tried the Burn Channel only to a moderate level, and it was great for AC/DC Sounds etc.
So my choice is between The Supersonic and the Engl Classic, which is btw at least in germany much cheaper...

Greets from Munich
Chris
Back to top Go down
shaker

shaker

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:50 pm

brett wrote:

oh, Fender Super Sonic? this new one?

How is the amp?

Does this amp bring this fantastic Fender Clean Sound AND a High Gain Sound aswell?

Chris has pretty much explained it.

I put a lower gain tube in the burn channel so as to clean it up for more of a cranked fender blackface sound (think Keith Richards) but I generally stick with the clean channel anyway Smile

Cheers
John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: amp choices?   amp choices? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

amp choices?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Forum That Came Back From The Dead :: WELCOME TO THE TWILIGHT ZONE :: GUITAR RELATED DISCUSSION-
Jump to: