The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I almost hate to ask this, but...

Go down 
+11
Django
sixstringslinger
TommyM
Tv&theFLATblackthrill
ratpack
Pompado'er
PICKIN' PETE
Vinny
ArtVandelay
NJ_Stray_Cat
Bear85
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Bear85

Bear85

I almost hate to ask this, but... Empty
PostSubject: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 6:07 pm

Hey everybody,

This is my first post (been lurking since February). I hope I don't get flamed too badly for even asking the following question, since it could be taken as sort of heretical by some of you 'true believers' out there. Before I ask the question, a little set-up:

I want a Gretsch, and I want one badly. I've been watching the listings on eBay in the hopes of snagging a gently used one at a good price. I mean, it's been a couple of years now! The main reason I haven't purchased one is, of course, the price; since I'm the sole breadwinner for my wife and three kids, there's always something on the 'need' list that goes ahead of Daddy's 'want' list. But I think we may be getting closer to the point where I might actually be able to take the plunge. So here's the question:

Is the name really, honestly, objectively...worth it?

OK, once you calm down, I'll explain why I'm asking.

(twiddling thumbs...checking wristwatch...OK, go ahead and ask them...)

Are you guys OK? OK, good. Hope I didn't shock your systems too much! But here's why I ask if Gretsches might...just might...be overrated, when the cost is factored in.

There are at least two other hollowbodies with Bigsbys out there, and they cost considerably less than even a 5120, and WAY less than a 6120. I've seen someting by Dean called a Nuqler. There's also the Epiphone Wildkat. I've not had the opportunity to play either one, since I'm not very close to a big guitar shop. I did get to play a 5120 at the Guitar Center nearest me (this was a few months back), and there's no denying, it was fantastic. But given that I'm not all that much of a guitar player (hey, just being honest with myself!), would I be just as satisfied with the Epi? I don't know.

See, the cheapo that I play now has some fret buzz, but I only paid 65 bucks for it! I've read the post of two new 'members of The Club' who have fret buzz, and they paid a lot more for the privilege than I did!

I know I'm sounding like kind of a cheapskate/wussy, but I just had to ask. And, I have another question: Is a 6120 worth three times a 5120?

I suppose both of my questions fall into the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" category. But I know there are enough knowledgeable people on this board, so that's why I'm asking you all. Thanks for the time you all took to read the post, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Bear85
Back to top Go down
NJ_Stray_Cat

NJ_Stray_Cat

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 7:10 pm

My two cents.

WildKat
- different pick ups = different sound (Gretsch have their own unique sound anyway)
- a little smaller than the 5120
- Wildkat doesn't come in that classic orange color
- All Epiphone are made in China now. Heard many complaints about the quality control from
Chinese made guitars. 5120 is made in Korea.
- Spend the extra $$ now so you won't regret it later when the prices go up. I always recommend to
people to buy a guitar they will "grow into"
- Guitar Center will haggle. Mine was a floor model, but looked perfect. No scratches dings or dents. I
negotiated $75 off the price. I even negotiated $30 off the price of the case. Wildkat is $499 / 5120
is $599. NEGOTIATE.
- I have an Epiphone Dot with Seymour Duncans in it, but I like the 5120 much better.
- 5120 looks cooler Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Good luck!

Steve

Last edited by NJ_Stray_Cat on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)
Back to top Go down
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 8:20 pm

I dont know what price you're looking for but I found a used Gretsch Guitars G6120SSLVO Brian Setzer Signature Nashville Guitar with not one scratch on it. Played perfectly and got it for less than half the original price ($3000)including a case. My suggestion would be to go to you're local GC or other music store and try and a deal and than haggal with them till you get an even better price. (Took a bout 1 hour of "dealing" with the guy to get my deal)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 8:32 pm

OK, I originally felt the same way about the rediculous prices of Gretsch Guitars. Originally I bought a Fender Telecaster Plus because i could get something sorta close to a sound I liked. Secondly, in my opinion, the Wildcat is incredibly poorly built, a buddy of mine has one and constantly has problems with it, infact in the first month he had it the neck separated from the body. I don't know if thats just a really bad one he bought but i wouldnt risk it.

Now heres a little heretical advice for you. Look into some of the other great rock and roll style guitars. The Epiphone ES335 (chuck berry style) or even a Epiphone les paul goldtop (Carl Perkins style/ Scotty Moore) Both of these are excellent guitars for their prices.

I personally took the plunge and bought a Gretsch 6118 last summer (basically the poor man's 6120) and I dont regret a second of it. On the other hand I did it because not only did I love "that great Gretsch sound" that seriously only a filtertron can give you, but because when i traveled to play a concert, i needed a guitar that could do it all, and stay in one piece. Gretschs are much more famous for music other than Rockabilly music. Pete Townsend of the Who recorded those famous bone crushing power chords of "we wont get fooled again" on his 6120. I think Joe Walsh gave it to him, but dont hold me to that. lets see....what else did i forget...

Ps. I think Dean guitars are basically heavy metal machines and are awesome guitars if thats the sound you want, but thats my personal preference.
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 10:50 pm

Hey Bear85,
How's it goin' man?
Having 2 kids myself, I can understand the needs vs wants situation! I muck around with cars as well, and let me tell ya that guitars are cheaper by far!
Umm, the whole "I got a Gretsch" thing is over rated I reckon. I was lucky that I bought mine before we had kids, but I did have to wait till I was 30 to buy it. And even then it was only because my wife insisted that I did! Gotta love a good woman!
But really I would have still loved playing on my other guitars because I love to play. I would still love playing Rockabilly. I admit that the Gretsch has a particular sound and I feel comfortale playing it, but it didn't make me a better player or teach me anything new. It was me and the desire to learn.
Man it's a hard one, if ya really wan't a Gretsch, then I guess save ya pennys and wait! Either way, my money is that you'll still be playing!
Cheers Pete.
P.S. Those Dean guitars with the 3 P90 style pickups are really good. I wan't to buy one but I'm gonna have ta wait!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
Pompado'er

Pompado'er

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 11:08 am

Hey Bear85, I agree with Pickin' Pete. I have been playing an Ibanez archtop for the last two years. Looks very similar to a Gretsch, has a similar tremolo bar, but there is no comparison to the Gretsch. I just bought the Black Falcon you see in my avatar. Like Pete said...I haven't learned anything new about playing guitar, and the Ibanez plays just fine. The thing is though, the Gretsch is the guitar I have ALWAYS wanted. I bought the Ibanez to start learning and to see if I really loved playing and made a deal with myself that if I was still into it in a couple years, I would splurge. Take your time and save your money....a Gretsch is not going to make you a better player and they are pricey at the top end but I think they are worth it.
Back to top Go down
NJ_Stray_Cat

NJ_Stray_Cat

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 12:24 pm

I played the Ibanez AF75T, then the Gretsch. I thought there was significant difference in the sound. Once I played the Gretsch, I never looked back at the Ibanez. Again it's personal choice. Choose wisely grasshopper!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
ratpack

ratpack

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 3:00 pm

I'm dreaming of a high-end Gretsch myself, but struggle with the same issue. When I have the funds available, I'm going to try to discipline myself to wait until I find somebody who bought one when he shouldn't have and is selling it cheap. As for the quality, it's hard to tell sometimes just playing them in the store, but I haven't been impressed with the low-end Gretsch's or the other brands (unless we're talking about high-end Gibsons).

Having said that, I think one ought to get a guitar that inspires his playing. If you can get that for $500, great! My great fear is that I'll buy a $2500 Gretsch only to discover that I enjoy playing my old Strat more. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 3:20 pm

ratpack wrote:
I'm dreaming of a high-end Gretsch myself, but struggle with the same issue. When I have the funds available, I'm going to try to discipline myself to wait until I find somebody who bought one when he shouldn't have and is selling it cheap. As for the quality, it's hard to tell sometimes just playing them in the store, but I haven't been impressed with the low-end Gretsch's or the other brands (unless we're talking about high-end Gibsons).

Having said that, I think one ought to get a guitar that inspires his playing. If you can get that for $500, great! My great fear is that I'll buy a $2500 Gretsch only to discover that I enjoy playing my old Strat more. Good luck.

Exactly ratpack, its whatever feels right to you, i mean (its not rockabilly at all) but Ace Frehley of kiss tours with 100 dollar guitars because he likes the feel and the sound. To each his own.
Back to top Go down
Tv&theFLATblackthrill

Tv&theFLATblackthrill

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 7:25 pm

please give Joel at www.shanghai-guitars.com, I have bought my last two brand new gretsch
guits from him (spectra and anniv) for waaaay cheaper than anyone. He delivers quality
gear and is superior customer service. I can imagine how good the prices are on his
5XXX series. Gretsch list prices are stupid, they arent real.
Talk to Joel, I beg you... beats talkin to the uninformed sales clerk at GC who plays in a ska or emo
band.
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 1:29 am

Hi Bear, The last thing you have to worry about is getting "flamed" or nasty comments on these pages. Won't happen!
Welcome aboard!
Tommy cheers
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Hey everybody,

Thanks for the feedback on Gretsch vs. non-Gretsch. I really do appreciate the thought you all have put into your replies!

Rock on,
Bear85
Back to top Go down
sixstringslinger

sixstringslinger

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Tv&theFLATblackthrill wrote:
please give Joel at www.shanghai-guitars.com, I have bought my last two brand new gretsch
guits from him (spectra and anniv) for waaaay cheaper than anyone. He delivers quality
gear and is superior customer service. I can imagine how good the prices are on his
5XXX series. Gretsch list prices are stupid, they arent real.
Talk to Joel, I beg you... beats talkin to the uninformed sales clerk at GC who plays in a ska or emo
band.

+100000000

Def give Joel a call
Back to top Go down
Django

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 11:56 am

8 years ago, I decided I wanted to learn to play rockabilly. You have to have a Gretsch right? I couldn't afford one, so I found the Epiphone Sorrento. Good guitars. I added TV Jones pickups. They became great guitars. They were my main guitars for the last 8 years.

A buddy let me borrow his Gretsch. Against my judement, I took him up on it. It was everything I ever wanted. So 2 months later I raised the money to buy a Setzer Nashville SSL. My wife gave me alot of grief. But now she understands... it was worth every penny.

So my advice is get an Epiphone, or an Ibanez, Carlo Revellie (sp?) and learn to play. Keep the Gretsch as a goal. When you feel you are good enough to deserve the Gretsch, treat yourself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hotrodchassisandcycle.com
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 7:28 pm

OK, I admit i'm not the best guitar expert in the world, but... given the roots of your question (i.e. having kids a family and cash is an important investment etc), I bought my Brian Setzer Hot Rod fairly cheap. I also have a Stanley Jordan Ibanez, and have played numerous cheap guitars. The hot Rod plays great, is a modestly priced show piece (I.E a head turner) However, it sounds.. hmmm.. ok. The following comment will probably get me struck from this forum and tommy will more as likely cut my balls off when he visits Sheffield... BUT.. I think the Hot Rod sells because of Brians attachment to it, but it's a fairly average Gretsch.. When i was in a band in the early eighties, my guitarist picked up a 6120 from a pawn shop in Dublin for a few quid. It's the best guitar I have ever played. It sounds wicked and cost £20.... as a mater of fact, it's a vintage guitar and probably worth a few grand.

I digressed... Try and pick up a hot Rod or a signature model. The 6118's aint he same. In short pick up any 6120 for the best price possible.

Sorry if i offended anyone.... If Inever post again it's cos I was spooked off the site - lol.

With sincere affection

Mikey
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Diggey

Diggey

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 8:32 pm

I think only you can truly answer what will make you happy. A 5120 will never be a 6120. Either save and get what you want or settle and always want it......no go and Gresch to the masses. I also recommend Joel at Shanghai. I bought a Setzer and a White Falcon from hi.
Back to top Go down
Flatheadjack

Flatheadjack

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 9:03 pm

Vinny wrote:
OK, I originally felt the same way about the rediculous prices of Gretsch Guitars. Originally I bought a Fender Telecaster Plus because i could get something sorta close to a sound I liked. Secondly, in my opinion, the Wildcat is incredibly poorly built, a buddy of mine has one and constantly has problems with it, infact in the first month he had it the neck separated from the body. I don't know if thats just a really bad one he bought but i wouldnt risk it.

Now heres a little heretical advice for you. Look into some of the other great rock and roll style guitars. The Epiphone ES335 (chuck berry style) or even a Epiphone les paul goldtop (Carl Perkins style/ Scotty Moore) Both of these are excellent guitars for their prices.

I personally took the plunge and bought a Gretsch 6118 last summer (basically the poor man's 6120) and I dont regret a second of it. On the other hand I did it because not only did I love "that great Gretsch sound" that seriously only a filtertron can give you, but because when i traveled to play a concert, i needed a guitar that could do it all, and stay in one piece. Gretschs are much more famous for music other than Rockabilly music. Pete Townsend of the Who recorded those famous bone crushing power chords of "we wont get fooled again" on his 6120. I think Joe Walsh gave it to him, but dont hold me to that. lets see....what else did i forget...

Ps. I think Dean guitars are basically heavy metal machines and are awesome guitars if thats the sound you want, but thats my personal preference.

yes Pete Townsend did use a 6120 on WHo's NExt. He used a bassman also and a volume pedal all givin to him by Joe Walsh.
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 6:15 am

i play a 6120 from 2003 and i love it.
great guitar, great playing, awesome sound.
i also play a stratocaster and a modified telecaster and an elctromatic pro Jet Gretsch and i love them all too. Rolling Eyes

it don`t have to be a professionell gretsch to play good music.

but why not... Cool

if you have the money...buy it.
If you don`t have the money or think it is too expensive...don`t buy it.
there are a lot of cheaper guitars in good quality (epiphone, Hagstrom, Ibanez, Gretsch Electromatic, etc.)

it`s nearly the same with Harley Davidson Bikes.
quote: "if i have to explain, you wouldn`t understand"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I almost hate to ask this, but...   I almost hate to ask this, but... Empty

Back to top Go down

I almost hate to ask this, but...
Page 1 of 1