The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

When the Bells don't Chime

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Doesy

Doesy

When the Bells don't Chime Empty
PostSubject: When the Bells don't Chime   When the Bells don't Chime EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 8:12 am

Has anyone got the Chord Progression for this?

I tried figuring it out a while ago and I think I got the first two chords but then decided it'd be easier with a de capo on the 2nd fret.

I think I got frustrated and gave up after that. Actually I think that was when I fractured two of my fingers. Haven't had much banjo action since but i thjought I'd ask for some helkp on here before busting it out again.

Thanks to anyone in advance.
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: When the Bells don't Chime   When the Bells don't Chime EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 2:07 pm

I think it's been probably a couple of years since I played this one, although I can't remember for sure. I know I ran through it a few times since the album came out in 2003, so I have a basic idea of how to play it.

The song is in the key of A major, so for guitar purposes if you place a capo on the 2nd fret, essentially every chord is dropped a whole step. In other words since the first chord is "A", with a capo at the 2nd fret you would play a "G". The 2nd fret, then, is your open position and the G is played relative to that still sounding a concert chord of "A". So just keep that in mind if you arrange this song for a capo. I'll list the progression in the concert key of A. I'll point out that the banjo is probably tuned in an open A tuning or in open G with a capo as well, but I'm not going to try to fully transcribe that part either for banjo or guitar, as I don't own a banjo. I will mention however, that the NBFD CD has a separate song with just the banjo mix (rhythm guitar parts dropped out) that might be easier to listen to for figuring out the banjo part.

INTRO.

Starts with banjo only. Chord progression is:

A-A7-D-D#dim7(or E7)-A-Ab7-G7-F#7-B7(or D7)-E7

I'll mention that the quality(major/minor or inversions) of the chromatic descending chords may vary, as alterations or extensions can be used to spice up the line.

At this point drums enter and then the guitar comes in with a riff that is something like this:

C-C#-C-B-G bend-A-G#-G-D/F#-E-A

This is the bass line from the 5th and 6th strings, and in between each bass note chordal arpeggios of the A chord are played. D/F#, E, and A chords end the riff.

VERSE/CHORUS

A-F#m-D-A
A-F#m-D-E-E7
A-A7-D-E7(or Ebdim7)
A-Ab7-G7-F#7-B7(or D7)-E7

That's basically all there is to the song. The guitar solo is over the entire VERSE/CHORUS form and is in A major, with attention paid to each chord in terms of scalar runs and scale changes. The song ends on a B7(or D7)-E7 change that repeats a few times followed by the chords of A-D-E7-A-G-A with fills between the chords.

Again feel free to post any comments/corrections etc.
Back to top Go down
Doesy

Doesy

PostSubject: Re: When the Bells don't Chime   When the Bells don't Chime EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Wow, that sounds awesome man! Thankyou!

Yeah Banjo is in Open G so the Capo on the 2nd just made A Open Position.

Looking over it, it's probably easier to play with the capo with that G7 in there.

Thanks again mate!
Back to top Go down
Ponczek007

PostSubject: Re: When the Bells don't Chime   When the Bells don't Chime EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 10:58 pm

i feel like this isnt quite right though closer than ive ever come
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When the Bells don't Chime   When the Bells don't Chime Empty

Back to top Go down

When the Bells don't Chime
Page 1 of 1