The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

6118 gets a David Lee face lift

Go down 
+3
Vinny
Kid Setzer
Tv&theFLATblackthrill
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tv&theFLATblackthrill

Tv&theFLATblackthrill

6118 gets a David Lee face lift Empty
PostSubject: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 12:33 am

this is sort of a crosspost but I'm proud of how a mod to a new anniv I did
turned out. fully gutted and upgraded to tvjones p'tron classic & cls +,sperz, alum saddled
Abr-1 drilled, and tone pot instead of tone switch. take a look.

6118 gets a David Lee face lift L_5c6b04ff66e1c2e49909f50467d86d61
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 1:28 am

Ooooh, nice job TV - I like that very much! Very Happy

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 2:01 pm

Your a Brave guy TV, i would never have the guts to take a drill to my precious Gretsch. Nice job though.
Back to top Go down
Tv&theFLATblackthrill

Tv&theFLATblackthrill

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 am

thanks guys, this is the umpteenth time I've done the usual mods to the nashvilles but the twist was making those dang p90 covers fit in Certainly not a retro fit thing but we ran it through the bassman
tonight and there is a big differerence in the clean tones with the lack of brass and nickel surrounding
the bobbins. Very jangly with heightened string dynamics compared to the classics in the SSU and
pwrtrons in the specta.
Back to top Go down
Pompado'er

Pompado'er

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 11:18 am

Nice guitar TV, but are changing the tuners a difficult thing to do? I want to change the tuners on mine as well as put good strap locks on but I am a little worried about messing it up. I know of a wicked guitar tech in my area that would do the work but if it is not too difficult I would rather do it myself. I am a hands-on kind of guy and would feel a lot more pride doing it myself....
Back to top Go down
Tv&theFLATblackthrill

Tv&theFLATblackthrill

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 5:09 pm

Pompado'er wrote:
Nice guitar TV, but are changing the tuners a difficult thing to do? I want to change the tuners on mine as well as put good strap locks on but I am a little worried about messing it up. I know of a wicked guitar tech in my area that would do the work but if it is not too difficult I would rather do it myself. I am a hands-on kind of guy and would feel a lot more pride doing it myself....

In recent gretsch guitars that have the vintage open gear "stay tights", you can remove them fairly easy and use a precision steel peghole reamers to open the peghole enough to accept the large diameter of sperzels base. I would also highly encourage the use of a micrometer throughout the process so that
you dont end up overreaming the peghole, and then making the mistake of over tightening the sperzel's
nut over the tuning post and compressing the laminate thus causing the surface to crack.

Whether you go precision or just manually use a hand tapered reamer, use the reamer. In dire straits
you can try varying sizes of REVERSE rake drill bits but the risk of cracking the headstock is NOT EVER
worth it.

in anycase when the pegholes are opene proper, you will then need to drill a tiny cleat hole adjacent the posthole as sperzels use a small but pronounce cleat to seat the machine static and keep any lateral movement at bay. This is another caution job and you should use a stop marker on the bit
to avoid going through the entire headstock which is SUPER easy to screw up and do because of the
small diameter of drill bit.

Finally you will have to fill the existing "stay tight" screw holes with mini dowels to complete the job.

its much work BUT TOTALLY worth it IMO, the only gretch that was ever a perfect retrofit for the locking sperzels was the Spectrasonic that comes OEM with non locking sperzels. Dump those off the guitar and drop in the locking ones. 10 minutes! unlike the 2 long job of swapping vintage tuners for modern lockers.

cheers6118 gets a David Lee face lift Apr07_SDBS_XR_Reamer_bb
Back to top Go down
sidelakebob

sidelakebob

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 4:28 pm

Is this the new Gibson "robot" guitar? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pompado'er

Pompado'er

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 9:04 pm

Thanks for the info TV, but it sounds like a job for the tech. I am handy but not willing to risk messing up my guitar with a first time attempt.
Back to top Go down
Eddie Lee

Eddie Lee

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 7:17 pm

I'm just waitin' for the Robot Guitarist! Bam!

Where do these stairs go?-Ray
They go up!-Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.thefunnbrothers.com
Tv&theFLATblackthrill

Tv&theFLATblackthrill

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 1:23 am

she's gone to her first owner, all dolled up of course. On to the next one! Maybe a duojet
with 3 tele bridge pkups!! Suhr V60s!! clown
Back to top Go down
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 3:18 am

How much did it go for?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
Tv&theFLATblackthrill

Tv&theFLATblackthrill

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 12:03 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:
How much did it go for?

6118 gets a David Lee face lift Cash-loan

What a Face
Back to top Go down
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 1:06 pm

Tv&theFLATblackthrill wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:
How much did it go for?

6118 gets a David Lee face lift Cash-loan

What a Face
Ha Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6118 gets a David Lee face lift   6118 gets a David Lee face lift Empty

Back to top Go down

6118 gets a David Lee face lift
Page 1 of 1