The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Setzer sound on a budget

Go down 
+6
pigsmoke
webelvis
Diggey
Michael69
brett
zimmtv
10 posters
AuthorMessage
zimmtv

zimmtv

Setzer sound on a budget Empty
PostSubject: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 8:09 am

Ok guitarists...lets face it -- most of us can't afford the $1k Gretsches, much less the vintage stuff. Guitar prices have gone through the roof in the last 25 years. Plus, most of us gigging musicians don't want to leave our "babies" on the bandstand during breaks...too many stollen axes.

So lets do Budget Brian!

What do you use or suggest to get the Gretsch to Roland to Bassman sound?
Back to top Go down
http://zimmtv.com
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 8:49 am

Hi,

i use a Nashville 6120W-1957, with TV Jones Classic Trons-Pups
and an Electromatic Projet also with TV Jones classic trons.
The Amp is a Fender Blues deluxe and the Echo is a Danelectro "Wasabi-Rockabye".
Quiet satisfied with this sound.
sometimes use my MXR Overdive OD-CS also.

My new guitar is a Fender Telecaster Thinline reissue, cutsomized with a Bigsby and Filtertrons. (the new ones)
Not really Gretsch, but a little bit of "The knife feels like justice"... Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
zimmtv

zimmtv

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 9:43 am

As you may notice by the picture at the left, I don't own a Gretsch. Thats a DeArmond Starfire Special (Fender blowout deal!) and I gotta say it is a wonderful guitar. I play different styles, and it covers them all.

My setup: DA Starfire Special -> Radial ToneBone Classic (boost) -> Peavey Delta Blues (clean)-> Johnson J-Station (echo) -> Epiphone Valve Jr Head and Cab (overdriven). It gives a nice "stereo" effect with clean vs. dirty and "dry" vs. "wet."

Gotta get me a Gretsch...
Back to top Go down
http://zimmtv.com
Michael69

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 10:23 am

For an analysis of Setzer's sound look here:

http://www.cathyandnick.com/Nick_pages/tabs/Brian_Setzer/setzer_sound.htm

There are four key elements: the guitar, the amp, the roland and Setzer's fingers.

To enter Setzer territory on a budget level I would recommend the following:

Keep your axe (it looks really great - I like the sharp cutaway) and put two TV Jones classics in it. Next get yourself a Boss RE 20 - it adds the "grease" to the tone. Your Peavey should work fine. With this setup you shoul come quite close to the holy grail. IMHO it's not necessary to buy a 5120 Gretsch. You still have to put in TV Jones pickups. If you're looking for a Gretsch - then go for 6120 (not necessarily the Setzer models ).

Anyway if you want something really good, try this:
http://www.gomezamps.com/el-sonido.html

It's an exakt replica of Setzer's '63 Bassman. It's totally different from a '59 bassman.

Hope this helps!

Michael
Back to top Go down
Michael69

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 10:31 am

brett wrote:
Hi,

Hi, Brett!

Nice to see here other people from Germany! What did you do with your P90 in the neck? I'm thinkin about buying a 6210 with single coils, but haven't played the Eddie Cochran model yet. How does the P90 change the Gretsch-sound? Is it still possible to get a Duane-Eddie-twang out of it? Does the Gretsch sound more bluesy with the P90?
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 am

Michael69 wrote:

Hi, Brett!

Nice to see here other people from Germany! ?

same to you... Wink

Michael69 wrote:
What did you do with your P90 in the neck?
it`s in my closet at home.

Michael69 wrote:
I'm thinkin about buying a 6210 with single coils, but haven't played the Eddie Cochran model yet. How does the P90 change the Gretsch-sound? ?
more bluesy, more "gibson", difficult to explain for me, neckposition was warm and jazzy, middle was gretsch pure, and bridgeposition solo -sound, but not that sharp like with TV Jones

Michael69 wrote:
Is it still possible to get a Duane-Eddie-twang out of it?
hmmm...i`m not sure. better try it.
The Eddie model is a nice guitar and for rock`n Roll and country very good.
Back to top Go down
Diggey

Diggey

PostSubject: Budget tones   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 12:13 pm

You could try a 5120 and gut it out completely and do the TV Jones Wiring Harness and add TV Jones Classic pickups. I did this but did the Magnatrons and it was super hot lead pickups. DO the Englishmounts, so you have the Filtertron looks. Add Sperzels, and a good Bigsby.

I agree on the Gomez El Sonido as you can see I have one and is close to a New Old Stock Fender Blonde Era 63 Bassman as you get. Best amp I've ever owned period. And I want a second one for safety.

Another great amp jumper if you have less cash flow is a Dirty Blonde OVerdrive pedal but thay are hard to find and last I checked, were being reintroduced.

Third, try a Carl Martin Red Repeat, for a good slapback.
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm using a Peavey JF-1, a very nice semi hollowbody guitar (and not even expensive). I'm using it in combination with a Rocktron "short timer" delay and a Boss Tr-2 for Tremolo (it sounds exactly like the tremolo of an old Fender Amp) For overdrive sounds, I'm using the Danelectro Daddy'O.
Back to top Go down
pigsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 2:21 pm

For twang on a budget, check out Reverend guitars. They have both set neck and bolt on models, and a variety of pickup options, humbuckers, Rev-trons, and P90s. A little dissapointing that they don't offer a Bigsby option, but they are very reasonably priced. I just watched Unknown Hinson play a Club King with P90's live in Nashville for two and half hours, and the boy had all the spank and twang you could want.
Back to top Go down
ufopsi

ufopsi

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 5:59 pm

I can't play guitars but if I had more cash I'd buy a Gretsch just to own it - it's so cool!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ufopsi.com
Rockin' Johnny

Rockin' Johnny

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 12:46 pm

Hello Cats,i'm Johnny from NORTH-Italy.
We have a lot of good bands here in Italy,look at this site:

http://www.oldwoogies.com/italy.htm

I have a Brian Setzer Signature Gretch,a Nashville 1957-W,a Duane Eddy signature,a White Falcon (with TV-JONES),an original 6128 Hanniversary from 1958,Telecaster '52 reissue,Fender Strat Eric Clapton signature and a Martin 000-28.
We play from rockabilly to western swing,from Surf to neo-rockabilly with a little bit of country with a Southern Rock drive (God bless Charlie Daniels and Lynyrd Skynyrd).
But my love is Rockabilly.I use to play them through a Victoria 20112 or a 57 Fender Deluxe (with Nos RCA BLACKPLATE,a 12ay7 on V1 and Celestion Blue speaker)or Bassman 59 reissue for big stages.Now i'm waiting for the Victoria Double Deluxe i've ordered!

Stay wild and keep on rockin!

p.s. sorry for my english!
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 1:35 pm

Rockin' Johnny wrote:

I have a Brian Setzer Signature Gretch,a Nashville 1957-W,a Duane Eddy signature,a White Falcon (with TV-JONES),an original 6128 Hanniversary from 1958,Telecaster '52 reissue,Fender Strat Eric Clapton signature and a Martin 000-28.
We play from rockabilly to western swing,from Surf to neo-rockabilly with a little bit of country with a Southern Rock drive (God bless Charlie Daniels and Lynyrd Skynyrd).
But my love is Rockabilly.I use to play them through a Victoria 20112 or a 57 Fender Deluxe (with Nos RCA BLACKPLATE,a 12ay7 on V1 and Celestion Blue speaker)or Bassman 59 reissue for big stages.

hello Johnny,

wow, that`s a lot of amazing gear. respect... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rockin' Johnny

Rockin' Johnny

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptySun Feb 10, 2008 10:22 am

brett wrote:
Rockin' Johnny wrote:

But my love is Rockabilly.I use to play them through a Victoria 20112 or a 57 Fender Deluxe (with Nos RCA BLACKPLATE,a 12ay7 on V1 and Celestion Blue speaker)or Bassman 59 reissue for big stages.

hello Johnny,

wow, that`s a lot of amazing gear. respect... Laughing

Hi Brett,thanks a lot!
I play Rockabilly since 1988 and i listen to this wonderful music since i was 4 years old when i discovered an Elvis' Greatest Hits (God bless the King),i'm 35 now! I was born Rockabilly and i think I'll dye Rockabilly! Laughing
I've been working for the last 6 years to get that great Setzer sound (i think of IGNITION guitar sound) changin' amps,tubes and speakers.A lot of money burned!!!!Then finally i've been able to find Victoria 20112 and Double Deluxe (here in Italy is very difficult to find Victoria amps)!!! so, Gretsch + Roland Space echo + Victoria amp +blue suede creepers + my Triumph Bobber and my Rocker ( Ace Cafe) leather jacket are my kind of life!!!!!
How is in German? i know that Rockabilly still going strong there.
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptySun Feb 10, 2008 12:00 pm

Cool, oh yes here we have a strong scene.
But I`m not a real Rockabilly.
I`d listen to Elvis, and Gene and Carl, etc. when i was 12.
I had a huge Elvis Presley LP Collection. (i lost it for years Crying or Very sad )
In the 80ies i was more in Punk, Blues, Hardrock and Rock
(ACDC, Thorogood, Hendrix, SRV and so on).
I knew Stray Cats, but i wasn`t a Fan at these days.
In the late 90ies i started to play guitar in R´n R Band in Hamburg.
With piano, a small Horn section, guitar E-Bass, Harp, Drum, and vocals.
We played Chuck Berry Songs, Elvis-Songs, so "Whole lotta shakin goin on" all night long.
and.... Cool ...we tried to play a BSO Song (Jump, Jive)
I asked: Who is it?
My bandleader told me: It´s Brian Setzer, Former of the Stray Cats.
REALLY??? I did not know this great music. pale
So later i get the Ignition CD and that was my Brian Setzer Ignition. (59`one of my favorites songs ever)
From this Album i was addicted.
And this Live DVD from Japan kicks me more into madness.
I saw this guy playing these wonderful guitars and bought my first Gretsch Guitar. It was the same feeling, when i bought my first Harley.
Hey, i own a Gretsch!!!! Shocked

I don`t want to play and sound exactly like him, because i missed so many years of learning and listening this kinda style. I`m far away from his level like the moon to earth. Even if i would have the same sound, i couldn`t play like him. pale
And i play these Rock and Rock`n Roll stuff, not really Rockabilly.
But i learned a lot of Brians way of playing. (got a book and this DVD "The guitar of Brian Setzer/Hotlicks" very good DVD)
And, hey I´m nearly 43 and i start learning guitar again, after all these years with too much overdrive and to much stupid and useless effects.
So, in the last 5-6 years i changed my style.

But back to topic. (sorry...)
I wish you a lot of success and where could we listen to your sound?
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptySun Feb 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Rockin' Johnny wrote:

How is in German? i know that Rockabilly still going strong there.

Oh, yes, we still have a quiet big scene here in Germany. The problem is, that most people I know didn't even know the word rockabilly. O.k. I'm 15 so they might be a bit to young to know this style.
But although, we've got a quiet big scene here.

Greetz: Paul
Back to top Go down
Rockin' Johnny

Rockin' Johnny

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 5:04 am

Great music Brett,me too.I was born rockabilly but then i started listen every kind of music from Django and Charlie Christian swingin' guitars to punk and hard rock.
Everywhere there's a good rockin'guitar i stop and listen and learn!
We also played blues for 6 years (that was when my girlfriend left me so i wasn't able more to sing "..i've got a gal in the east.i've got a gal in the west.." but i wanted to sing "..it was when my baby left me that i'm sit right down and cry.." Laughing Laughing Laughing ) from Chicago and Muddy Waters roots to the great Stevie Ray Vaughan.
I knew rock'n'roll when i was very young and so i've found out his mother and father: blues (every kind) and country (every kind),and then i went to Be-Bop,to Swing,to Hot-jazz in the past. In the same time i went to the future:Cream,Hendrix,Creedence,Allman Brothers,Lynyrd Skynyrd and so on!
But most important:it's got to be U.S.A. music!

For Paul: keep on playin',you're not too young! Is it you in the picture? when i was fifteen i've got ducktail hair too but then i 've started working and so....
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 5:12 am

@Rockin`Johnny: i totaly understand what you mean.

Rock`n Roll Cool
Back to top Go down
masbirras

masbirras

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 7:11 am

Thank you very much for your web link, Michael69. that´s very useful for me to learn a little.
I can´t play the guitar well at this moment, but I´ll use your web to learn a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Rockin' Johnny

Rockin' Johnny

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 9:05 am

Michael69 wrote:
brett wrote:
Hi,

Hi, Brett!

Nice to see here other people from Germany! What did you do with your P90 in the neck? I'm thinkin about buying a 6210 with single coils, but haven't played the Eddie Cochran model yet. How does the P90 change the Gretsch-sound? Is it still possible to get a Duane-Eddie-twang out of it? Does the Gretsch sound more bluesy with the P90?

Hi Michael,you can if you use both pickups,P90 is more jazzy. I've got both the Eddie Cochran model and the Nashville Dynasonic,Duane Eddy. The D.E. is in effect brighter than E. C.
In the 50's Duane Eddy plaied with both pickups (think of Shazam or Rebel Rouser) but with Guild or his actually Gibson he plays with neck pickup and his thumbpick very close to the bridge pickup to have a bigger sound.
There's a good Duane Eddy sound also with the Eddie Cochran most of all with a 15" speaker on your amp.
I use to play the D.E. with 0.12 chrome D'Addario strings but it's great with the Pure Nickel D'Addario 0,12.
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 9:44 am

Rockin' Johnny wrote:
For Paul: keep on playin',you're not too young! Is it you in the picture? when i was fifteen i've got ducktail hair too but then i 've started working and so....
I don't think zhat I'm too young, I meant that the other people in my age are to young to know that stuff (where should they hear it?? surely not on MTV). Yes it's me in my Avatar, but on the Pic I look a bit younger, than I look normal.
Back to top Go down
Danny_Wilde

Danny_Wilde

PostSubject: Stuff   Setzer sound on a budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 10:29 am

Hi. Very Happy
my stuff:
1967 6117 Gretsch Anniverary with DeArmonds, 1995 6128 57 Gretsch Duo Jet Reissue, G4630 Americana Acoustic,
Fender Mexico Telecaster with Texas Specials and a Jazzmaster Vibrato kit, Squier Standard Stratocaster with Tex Mex Pickups, Squier Cyclone, Harley Benton Flying V with Seymour Duncan Phat Cats P-90s and a Bigsby B5, Collins Roadmaster Pro (Les Paul Studio copy) with P-90 soap bars and a Goeldo Les Trem Vibrato Kit.

My Amps are: Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15" , Harley Benton GA5 Head with Harley Benton G212 cabinet, Fender Frontman 25R, Vox Pathfinder.

Stompboxes : Boss Tu-2>Digitech Hot Head>Digitech Bad Monkey>Boss BF-2 Flanger>Behringer Ph-9 Phaser>Boss TR-2 Tremolo>Boss RE-20 Space Echo>Danelectro Spring King. I also have an old RE 201 Roland Space Echo but in a bad condition and a late 90s Danelectro Danecho

I like to play different styles and different sounds(Fingerpicking,Surf,Blues,Psychobilly) but mostly Rockabilly. I get a good Rockabilly sound out of all my guitars and my fingers and an echo unit of course.

Greets to you all, Tommi
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/tommi75
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Setzer sound on a budget   Setzer sound on a budget Empty

Back to top Go down

Setzer sound on a budget
Page 1 of 1