The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing

Go down 
+9
tappenfeat
Pompado'er
amERICano
Brooklyn Bomber
Serena
ScottS
rickabilly
Kid Setzer
LetsLiveItUp
13 posters
AuthorMessage
LetsLiveItUp

The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing Empty
PostSubject: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 11:27 am

A few things back I thought Setzer was supposed to work on something with McCartney. What ever happened with that?

Chad
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 11:37 am

Good question.. I remember seeing someone holding a shirt in the rumble in brixton dvd, up in the balcony that read 'Setzer/McCartney'..

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 12:09 pm

I never heard that rumor. I did recall a "Q & A" long ago where Brian listed Macca as one of the people he'd really like to work with. But I never heard of any plans to do so.

Among the rumors posted through official channels that I've seen over the years - not really rumors, actually, just plans that changed and didn't come to pass - are:

Robert Plant including Brian on a Honeydrippers sequel (back in 2004-05). Hasn't happened yet.

Brian contributing to a track on a Ringo Starr album - back in Feb 2005, right before the Rockabilly Riot sessions happened. Ringo's Choose Love came out that June - sans Setzer.

Dave Edmunds contributing to Rockabilly Riot - as cool as that would've been, I am absolutely thrilled with the way the album materialized.

Brian contributing to Fastball's second album - he's even listed in the liner notes, but his efforts are not on the album.

During the summer 1984 Stray Cats tour, the FOUR Stray Cats, Setzer, Rocker, Phantom, and Byrnes talked about a new album coming out that fall. One performance included the future PRS track Time is On My Hands, the Setzer solo tunes Bobby's Back and Barbwire Fence, and covers of Elvis' Little Sister and CCR's Hey Tonight. Imagine what THAT album would have sounded like?

Since you can't change the past, it probably isn't worth asking why something did not happen. It's like when plans with your kids don't work out and when you try to explain to them the concept of "plans change," they whine "But you said..." over and over. Sometimes things just don't work out.

WhyWhyWhyWhyWhy-billy
Back to top Go down
ScottS

ScottS

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 2:28 pm

I thought I heard Brian was going to be on the next Milli Vanilli album

never materialized
Back to top Go down
http://www.HoodooVoodooLounge.com
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 2:36 pm

Was The Brian replacing Milli? Or Vanilli? Or Gino Vanelli? Which one died?

Girl, You Know It's True-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Serena

Serena

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 3:53 pm

must be an ancient rumor of a suggested collaboration. i believe paul had once invited brian to a buddy holly celebration in the 80's, but brian was unable to attend for whatever reason. i don't think they have had any further contact with eachother since then.
Back to top Go down
Brooklyn Bomber

Brooklyn Bomber

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 7:00 am

BUT didn't Brian said - as plan for 2003 or 2004 - something like "there are plans for a collaboration with a certain Mr. McCartney"? I think he did so on Tommy's site.

Since then never heard anything about it... A friend of mine asked about that issue and got a reply saying "until now no one of the McCartney family asked for" or something...

For me it would be one of the greatest collaboration in music...

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

BB
Back to top Go down
http://www.briansetzer.de
amERICano

PostSubject: the macca thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 10:34 pm

If memory serves me correctly, many moons ago Tommy made mention that Brian's son surfed with a friend that knew McCartney and that he had heard the BSO album and loved it. That would make sense because Paul is a big jazz and classical fan.
I don't remember there ever being mention of a "real" chance of a collaboration between Paul and Brian.

I do think that the Brian and Brian Wilson duet was a pretty darn good consolation prize though!

Blame it on the driving rain.............

Eric
Back to top Go down
Pompado'er

Pompado'er

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:57 pm

amERICano wrote:
If memory serves me correctly, many moons ago Tommy made mention that Brian's son surfed with a friend that knew McCartney...

Yowza, I had no idea that Brian had a kid....I always see music related stuff about him but virtually nothing on his personal life. Not that I am trying to pry, of course, but it just kinda surprised me.
Back to top Go down
tappenfeat

tappenfeat

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 9:35 pm

I heard somethin' about somethin' about somethin'...but I ain't sayin' cause I'll mis-quote it.

Hi ERIC!!! Hope all is well with you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tappenfeat
LetsLiveItUp

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 10:17 am

Tommy, can youb clarify this? I am almost for certain that you said that he was doing something with Macca. I believe[ it had something to do with a broadway production (that could be incorrect though). I am almost certain that I am not wrong on this though.

Chad
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 11:32 am

There is certainly some excellent recall on this board, and this topic's been up for 10 days. If a rumor lasting more than a day regarding McCartney and Setzer was out there, I would think more people would have elaborated about it here by now. Just because I can't remember it doesn't mean the rumor never appeared anywhere. I'm sure you did read it somewhere. But if it was even remotely significant or important or anything beyond the rumor stage, I am certain somebody would have posted more tangible information here.

My hopes were definitely stirred up several years back, when Brian gave this interview:

(Today, I found it on a Beatle fansite - posted 26 October 2003. I'm sorry I don't have the particulars on the original source.)

Some excerpts from an interview Humo had with Brian Setzer of the Stray Cats:

Q. George Harrison reportedly always called you Eddie.

A. (laughs) Yes, because of Eddie Cochran. He saw my Gretsch guitar, my blonde quiff and said with a British accent: 'Hello Eddie, how are you?' I've only met George four or five times.

Q. How did you call him?

A. Sir George (laughs). A wonderful guy, deep down he was probably more rockabilly than me. In any case he knew more about Carl Perkins than me - my favourite guitarist. George had a wonderful sense of humour, dry as a bone. What do you want, an Englishman. Without any doubt he was the most underestimated Beatle. Don't forget that in every Beatlesong there was a great guitar solo, and George thought of the riffs. (Sings the riff to Day Tripper) De-dudududedèèè-dudèè...

Q. And don't forget : the opening chord to A Hard Day's Night.

A. (Shouts enthousiasticly) 'Klèng! I still remember that as a child I tried to dig out what chord that was. (Wings his arm) Klèng! Klèng! And it never sounded like George. Klèng!

Q. Did you ever play with him?

A. One night, at a party in the house of Dave Stewart. George played Paperback Writer and I sang along. That's it. But at least I can say to my children that I ever played with George Harrison. (laughs).

Q. Last question: you played with lots of legends, is there anyone missing from that list?

A. (immediately) McCartney. I want to make with him a kickass rockabilly record: me on guitar, he on vocals and bass. I think it would be good, I think I can kick it up a nudge. A few years ago he made a solid rocking record, Run Devil Run, with David Gilmour of Pink Floyd on guitar. When I was listening to it, I thought: 'Go away, Dave, let me do it.' I would ask him, but you can't call him just like that after evening dinner. Years ago he invited me for a Buddy Holly party at his house. I couldn't go because I was playing with the Stray Cats that evening. I haven't heard from him since then. But you can always keep dreaming, you know: it's nice to have a dream.

"Go away, Dave..." That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I was listening to Macca's Run Devil Run. Unfortunately, since McCartney's made his "rock-n-roll" album (twice, actually) I wonder if he'll have another go at the concept.

There are literally thousands of artists who would love to collaborate with Paul McCartney. At age 65, unless it's someone truly iconic like Tony Bennett, I doubt Macca will take the time to make it happen. But as Brian said, it's nice to have a dream.

Macca-billy
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 4:58 pm

rickabilly wrote:

"Go away, Dave..." That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I was listening to Macca's [i]Run Devil Run.

Yeah he had the sound, but just wasn't....well.....Brian!
Or he could have taken Mickey Gee for that gig!
Back to top Go down
LetsLiveItUp

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 10:59 pm

I still think that there was more. i appreciate that post but I really think that there was something more solid. I even remember hanging out with Scotty Morris from Big bad Voodoo Daddy and he was telling me how he wanted to record with Brian. I told him that at that time I believe that he was working with Paul. I KNOW there was something that triggered that that was more then a rumor.

Chad
Back to top Go down
juice3

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 3:58 am

I think,it was bit of cheap to show that McCartney/Setzer t shirt on dvd and try to get Mr.McCartney to contact Brian this way.
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 4:16 am

What? Where?
Back to top Go down
Danielennon

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Brian deserve Paul, and Paul deserve Brian.....they are the GREATEST!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing   The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing Empty

Back to top Go down

The Setzer/ Paul McCartney thing
Page 1 of 1