The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?

Go down 
+19
Daddy-O
Toddorado
ArtVandelay
NJ_Stray_Cat
LBD
Rockabilly Ross
Mikey
Hotrodtodd
TommyM
rickabilly
The G-Man
Jpequa NY
sidelakebob
Rockin' Johnny
brett
rg9l@libero.it
webelvis
Mike
PICKIN' PETE
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? Empty
PostSubject: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 8:38 pm

HEY GANG'

We all got a local guitar hero, don't we? Ya know, the guy/gal that everytime they play ya see them, or they influenced ya in some way, etc.
Mine is Ross 'The Boss ' Brennan, currentely with rock outfit ' HARD COPY '.

Having over 25 years experience playing with mostly rock bands, he is also a master in blues, soul and classical music. He's also a music teacher at Hamilton High School, and has had 20 years teaching experience.Being classically trained, his knowledge of theory, arranging and his ear are incredible. This has led him to his nickname and great respect amongest local, interstate and overseas musicians.
But I guess the most important factor of why he's my guitar hero is because he's my cousin. He always makes me feel good about my playing, giving me advice and encouragement and belief in myself. He has a knack in making yourself go the extra mile if ya ask him for help or advice, and he's so patient and accesible to younger players who want advice.
Best of all, I can call him anytime I need a suggestion or help and I know he'll be honest and I trust his many years of experience. And he's the first to acknowledge other people no matter what their style or level is. And we have no hesitation in sharing a beer or 3!!

WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? P3090383 WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? P3090386WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? P3090387

Anyways, Cheers to ya Rossy, Keep Rockin" , Pete

Now who's YOUR local hero??
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 5:45 am

Buzz Campbell
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 12:15 pm

Golo Sturm, Guitar player of a german Rockabilly-Band.
WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? 040726
Back to top Go down
rg9l@libero.it

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 10:40 am

One of my heroes lives near me, he's a great musician and a great person.
I'm very lucky to know him!
He is Lazarus, check his My Space site here!
Back to top Go down
http://paulvsgodzilla.googlepages.com/backintrack
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 10:57 am

local guitar hereo? It`s me, who else... Wink

No, not me, just a bad joke... it is a real cool guy and an amazing guitar player.
Hannes Bauer
www.hannes-bauer.de

he`s playing guitar for some famous german singer, but his own band is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 11:09 am

Hey brett,
You're totally RIGHT!!
Ya gotta LOVE and BELIEVE in your OWN playing to get anywhere! Kudos to ya!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 11:10 am

PICKIN' PETE wrote:
Hey brett,
You're totally RIGHT!!
Ya gotta LOVE and BELIEVE in your OWN playing to get anywhere! Kudos to ya!
Cheers Pete.

Cool
thanx pete,

same to you
Back to top Go down
Rockin' Johnny

Rockin' Johnny

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 12:34 pm

in Italy the greatest rockabilly guitarist is Marco Di Maggio.
http://www.marcodimaggio.com/
Back to top Go down
sidelakebob

sidelakebob

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 12:56 pm

My local. www.skyhighblues.com
Back to top Go down
Jpequa NY

Jpequa NY

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 1:13 pm

I'd have to say A guy named Brian Setzer.Grew up a half a mile away.I think he went on to great things.
Jpequa
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Jpequa NY wrote:
I'd have to say A guy named Brian Setzer.Grew up a half a mile away.I think he went on to great things.
Jpequa

ok, you won...
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 am

HEY GANG!!
OK,OK we all know JpequaNY trumped us on this one ( thanks mate!! ) only 'cause his geopraphical location ( I don't like you JpequaNY! lol ! ), so...

My question goes out directely ( and I respect if you are pretty busy, get someone else to reply for you,etc ) to the ONE, the ONLY Mr. B. Setzer as to who HIS local guitar hero was/is ??

I remember reading about some old Italian jazz player that he admired from his 'hood or somethin' like that, but I can't quite recall all of it.

So the balli s in YOUR court Mr. B.Setzer!! LOL!! You've definately inspired us but would love to know who inpired you and why?

Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
The G-Man

The G-Man

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 9:56 am

My fave after Mr Setzer has to be Mark Harman of Restless Fame. cheers
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 11:13 am

PICKIN' PETE wrote:

So the balli s in YOUR court Mr. B.Setzer!! LOL!! You've definately inspired us but would love to know who inpired you and why?

Cheers Pete.

yep, good question.
Back to top Go down
Jpequa NY

Jpequa NY

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 1:59 pm

I remember reading about some old Italian jazz player that he admired from his 'hood or somethin' like that, but I can't quite recall all of it.

Cheers Pete.[/quote]

Pete,
The mans name was Ray Gorarty.He's the man who taught Brian all the 'jazz guitar' stuff that laid the foundation for Brians playing today.He was a very nice old guy who taught at the Massapequa Music center.
He passed away like 2 years ago now.Maybe Brian could tell us about learning the guitar from such a great teacher.
J.
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 2:50 pm

I'm so glad you mentioned Ray Gogarty. He is a perfect example of the intent of this thread, to promote local heroes most of us do not know. Ray passed away in late 2006. In addition to being Brian Setzer's guitar teacher, he also played rhythm guitar for the Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey bands, and was a well-respected NYC-area musician for decades.

There seems to be precious little information out there on the internet regarding Mr. Gogarty's performing career, but here is a photo from the late 1990's of a bunch of jazz guitar legends, with Ray Gogarty in the back row (third from the left).

WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? Jazzguitar

Back row: Peter Leitch, John Pizzarelli, Ray Gogarty, Frank Vignola,
Vic Juris, Ron Affif, Howard Alden, John Abercrombie, and Jimmy Bruno.
2nd row: Gene Bertoncini, Billy Bauer, Don Arnone, Bucky Pizzarelli,
Jack Wilkins, Wayne Wright, Tony Mottola, Sal Salvador and Randall
Kremer (Smithsonian Institution). Front row: Charles Carlini (Producer
of the tribute), Mundell Lowe, Charlie Byrd, Barney Kessel Herb Ellis,
Tal Farlow and Bob Benedetto

There is a CD out there, featuring another unsung jazz guitarist, Joe Monk. Joe was an amazing guitarist who played the NYC clubs, but was never captured on record. His career resembled Ray Gogarty's in that he had a distinguished career as a lifelong student and teacher of the guitar. Ray was such a fan of Joe's playing that he had the foresight in 1962 to bring an Ampex tape recorder to a gig at Club 40, where Joe Monk was going to sub for Ray Gogarty for a few shows. That recording was released on CD a couple of years ago and is available at cdbaby.com. I didn't notice this at the time I purchased it, but it seems from the CD notes that Ray Gogarty may also appear on this recording:

"Ray and Joe Monk had never played together before or after, but the magic of that night is apparent."

I will have to give this a listen tonight to see if Brian Setzer's guitar teacher indeed appears on this recording. Even if he doesn't, from what I remember, Joe Monk's work is amazing. If you like small combo jazz led by an incredible guitarist (and who here doesn't?), then I highly recommend this CD.

Jazz-a-billy
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 6:39 pm

Great thread.

2 guys come to mind immediately.

Tommy Conwell & Joe Gallo.

Loads of Philly talent, but those cats are at the top of the heap! Joao Erbetta would be on there if he moved here from D.C.

-Tommy
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
Hotrodtodd

Hotrodtodd

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 7:27 pm

TommyM wrote:
Great thread.

2 guys come to mind immediately.

Tommy Conwell & Joe Gallo.

Loads of Philly talent, but those cats are at the top of the heap! Joao Erbetta would be on there if he moved here from D.C.

-Tommy
Tommy, I remember being in florida on vacation in early 89 and if my memory dosent fail me Tommy Conwell opened the American music awards with "Im not your man" He was running up and down the isle and playing his ass off. I was floored because I had picked up the album and loved it but didnt know they had gotten that big that fast. great album, great band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thedaytonasrock
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 pm

After Rod Stewart introduced Tommy and his band as "Tommy Comwell's Young Rumblers", TC and the guys performed "Love's On Fire". Great night for all of us. He did walk through the crowd playing his Guild guitar and the sight of crack-head Whitney Houston clapping in approval has never left me.

and Gallo is great too!

-Tommy M (not C)
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
Hotrodtodd

Hotrodtodd

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 8:23 pm

TommyM wrote:
After Rod Stewart introduced Tommy and his band as "Tommy Comwell's Young Rumblers", TC and the guys performed "Love's On Fire". Great night for all of us. He did walk through the crowd playing his Guild guitar and the sight of crack-head Whitney Houston clapping in approval has never left me.

and Gallo is great too!

-Tommy M (not C)
I was lucky enough to catch the detonators this year with Bso and they were great. Great songs and really nice Guitar work. I actually got to say hi to the guys in the lobby and they were really cool. Dibbs almost seemed surprised I knew who he was. I cant get over the amount of Good music coming out of your area. unreal.
Back to top Go down
Hotrodtodd

Hotrodtodd

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 8:36 pm

rickabilly wrote:
I'm so glad you mentioned Ray Gogarty. He is a perfect example of the intent of this thread, to promote local heroes most of us do not know. Ray passed away in late 2006. In addition to being Brian Setzer's guitar teacher, he also played rhythm guitar for the Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey bands, and was a well-respected NYC-area musician for decades.

There seems to be precious little information out there on the internet regarding Mr. Gogarty's performing career, but here is a photo from the late 1990's of a bunch of jazz guitar legends, with Ray Gogarty in the back row (third from the left).

WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? Jazzguitar

Back row: Peter Leitch, John Pizzarelli, Ray Gogarty, Frank Vignola,
Vic Juris, Ron Affif, Howard Alden, John Abercrombie, and Jimmy Bruno.
2nd row: Gene Bertoncini, Billy Bauer, Don Arnone, Bucky Pizzarelli,
Jack Wilkins, Wayne Wright, Tony Mottola, Sal Salvador and Randall
Kremer (Smithsonian Institution). Front row: Charles Carlini (Producer
of the tribute), Mundell Lowe, Charlie Byrd, Barney Kessel Herb Ellis,
Tal Farlow and Bob Benedetto

There is a CD out there, featuring another unsung jazz guitarist, Joe Monk. Joe was an amazing guitarist who played the NYC clubs, but was never captured on record. His career resembled Ray Gogarty's in that he had a distinguished career as a lifelong student and teacher of the guitar. Ray was such a fan of Joe's playing that he had the foresight in 1962 to bring an Ampex tape recorder to a gig at Club 40, where Joe Monk was going to sub for Ray Gogarty for a few shows. That recording was released on CD a couple of years ago and is available at cdbaby.com. I didn't notice this at the time I purchased it, but it seems from the CD notes that Ray Gogarty may also appear on this recording:

"Ray and Joe Monk had never played together before or after, but the magic of that night is apparent."

I will have to give this a listen tonight to see if Brian Setzer's guitar teacher indeed appears on this recording. Even if he doesn't, from what I remember, Joe Monk's work is amazing. If you like small combo jazz led by an incredible guitarist (and who here doesn't?), then I highly recommend this CD.

Jazz-a-billy
Hey man. My uncle Mike played bass in Rays band and had told me about a million times how great he was. He actually played a gig with him the night he passed away. The last time I saw my uncle Mike he comes across the room and says "hey do you know of this Brian Sezner Guy? " I laugh because hes gotten a little older and dosent remember hes told me these stories a hundred times and hes never Gotten The name right, not once. So I go along with it . Me- "yeah ive heard of him Mike" Mike- " My pal Ray Got that Setner kid started playing guitar says hes real good to" Me-"oh yeah hes amazing youd probably like him " Mike- "i dont go for that Heavy Rock stuff man I mean How can you play anything cool over a 1-4-5 progression? hey wheres the cake?" funny stuff man.
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Local guitar Hero   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 11:02 pm

When me and my mates were growing up in Sheffield, we all liked old music and then along came people like Shakin' Stevens, with a serious picker called mickey Gee. Then when you traced it back you got to Dave Edmunds, then when the Stray Cats hit, that's when we wanted to learn playing.

Frank White taught all the decent guitarists and was the only guy we could find who could teach on Double Bass too. He played the Pheasant EVERY friday night, and he was a local legend. And with good reason...Frank could play guitar, especiall the Blues. he was the first guy in England to get a double neck guitar, and was revered by everybody. He played the Mojo in the 60's with the likes of The Stones and Jimi Hendrix, and has some amazing stories - ALL TRUE!!!

The great thing about Frank is his technique, the guy is totally original and he loves the Blues... oh, and he loves Rockabilly, Rock n roll, be-bop, swing, soul.. let me cut this short, the man LOVES music that's played and written well.

He still plays, although my schedule doesn't allow me to catch him that often (i.e. he plays weekends, and so do I), but when i get the chance, he still blows me away. You would ALL love him, seriously, he's THAT good. he did a couple of album with (don't laugh) Wham's session musicians. Deon estus is one of the finest bass players you could hear, and I seriously rate Trevor Murrell on the skins. Franks version of Louisiana 1927 is better than Randy Newmans (opinion), and you all have to hear a copy of his One More Lonely Night album.

his beat mate was Joe Cocker, and his nephew is Richard Hawley - Nuff said!
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Rockabilly Ross

Rockabilly Ross

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 10:28 am

I would say that Buzz Campbell from San Diego local band Hot Rod Lincoln and who now plays with some one we all know, Lee Rocker's band. Buzz never ceases to amaze me. He is an amazing talent.

Another great local player is Buddy Dughi of the Hot Rod Trio. He is one hell of a guitar player.

Those are my picks.

Ross drunken
Back to top Go down
LBD

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 11:15 am

These guys aren't local anymore but they lived here long enough for us to be proud of them.

Audley Freed-First got recognition in the early 90's with his Skynyrd/Free influenced band Cry Of Love. Went on to play with The Black Crowes, Dixie Chicks, Joe Perry, and Peter Frampton to name a few. He's a bad mofo.

Brad Rice currently part of Keith Urban's touring band. I used to go see Brad when he was with a local alt. country band The Backsliders. He went on to play with Whiskeytown, Ryan Adams, Tift Merritt and Son Volt.
Back to top Go down
NJ_Stray_Cat

NJ_Stray_Cat

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 3:40 pm

I would have to say Tommy Conwell, Flamin' Harry and newcomer Patrick Droney. Patrick Droney is only 15 years old and getting ready to release his first cd. Since he has a blood disorder, he was unable to particpate in sports so his dad (a musician himself) started teching him the guitar. He has already opened up for BB King, shared the stage with Tommy Shannon, Chris Layton, Robbie Krieger, Buddy Guy and many others. My son turned me on to him. He goes to school with him! Check him out www.Patrickdroney.com.

Tommy M. He plays in Philly occasionally at the Grape Street Pub. Worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?   WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO? Empty

Back to top Go down

WHO'S YOUR LOCAL GUITAR HERO?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next