The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rock This Town intro .... live!

Go down 
+4
jetbunny
Ponczek007
stray matt
Banksy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Banksy

Banksy

Rock This Town intro .... live! Empty
PostSubject: Rock This Town intro .... live!   Rock This Town intro .... live! EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 7:45 am

Hey guitar people (from a non- guitar playing person)!

I often wondered why Mr Setzer never plays the "classic" jangly (is that the technical term?) intro like on the original recording to RTT when performing live? You know what I mean? The record goes ding-dingly-ding, dingly ding "Well my..." and I always thought that was the coolest ever intro to a song! Live though it always sounds a deeper grrrrdy grrrrdy, grrrrdy grrrrrrr (bet your loving this you !). Is there a technical reason why Brian ditched the original sounding intro or has it just simply developed that way?
Or am I thinking about this too deeply for a Saturday morning?

Discuss.... Wink

Banksy
Back to top Go down
stray matt

stray matt

PostSubject: Re: Rock This Town intro .... live!   Rock This Town intro .... live! EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 10:52 am

banksy I think the song has evolved over the years, the solo has also
evolved, and I think the drop d tuneing is a masterstroke of a pure genious
and i think it is brian maturing his guitar and musical skills that have brought the
song up to the masterpiece it is now
Back to top Go down
Ponczek007

PostSubject: Re: Rock This Town intro .... live!   Rock This Town intro .... live! EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 11:05 am

He still does it! Even in red hot and live! Only with the orchestra the intro is different. The intro is a D chord btw. And I agree dropping the E down to a D is genius. It really amps up rock factor, I especially love it when he just riffs off that one D string during the solo. He makes some wild sound with that that I just can't replicate.
Back to top Go down
jetbunny

jetbunny

PostSubject: Re: Rock This Town intro .... live!   Rock This Town intro .... live! EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 11:43 am

Banksy wrote:

I often wondered why Mr Setzer never plays the "classic" jangly (is that the technical term?) intro like on the original recording to RTT when performing live? You know what I mean? The record goes ding-dingly-ding, dingly ding "Well my..." and I always thought that was the coolest ever intro to a song! Live though it always sounds a deeper grrrrdy grrrrdy, grrrrdy grrrrrrr (bet your loving this you !). Is there a technical reason why Brian ditched the original sounding intro or has it just simply developed that way?

Discuss.... Wink

Banksy

From a guitarist to a non-guitarist:

It's simple. The original recording was played with CLEAN signal, hence the dingly-ding-ding-ding... AFAIK he used a VOX Solid State Royal Guardsman on that song since his Bassmans then won't work properly under UK voltage.

Nowadays he plays it with OVERDRIVE, a bit distorted signal thru his Bassmans.
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Rock This Town intro .... live!   Rock This Town intro .... live! EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 12:13 pm

HEY jetbunny,
You might just be rite about the Vox, classic combo the Gretsch and Vox.
I've played with drop D I think as long as '90 -'91 cause we listened to alot of blues players. Playing in a 3 piece gave me alot of space but also I had to work out how to fill it alot of the time without crowding it, does that make sense??. I guess Brian must of had the same thoughts.
I now play the " old town ladies sing this song, do da, do da " just before I go into the big D chord intro!! Before that, I used to play Lil' Devil by the Cult and at the end of the song as you go from the F to the C, I would let the C ring out and go straight into the open D chord riff.
Again it comes down to how YOU want to play it! Just have FUN!! You know there's NO rules when it comes to making music!!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
Ambassador Nao

Ambassador Nao

PostSubject: Re: Rock This Town intro .... live!   Rock This Town intro .... live! EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Brian still doing that often, specially when he playing on trio set.
It sounds perfectly same as original record version.
When he make that ringing, I have same fresh feeling as when I got that from TV first time, it's over 25 year old classic though.
I think Brian's heart never aged, when he play that great stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Rock This Town intro .... live!   Rock This Town intro .... live! EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 2:05 pm

I agree with Banksy.
The into these days seems to have a different strum pattern.
Back to top Go down
Banksy

Banksy

PostSubject: Re: Rock This Town intro .... live!   Rock This Town intro .... live! EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Thanks Jetbunny; I thought it might be something like that! lol!

Banksy
Back to top Go down
Rockin' Johnny

Rockin' Johnny

PostSubject: Re: Rock This Town intro .... live!   Rock This Town intro .... live! EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 4:58 am

jetbunny wrote:
Banksy wrote:

Discuss.... Wink

Banksy

From a guitarist to a non-guitarist:

It's simple. The original recording was played with CLEAN signal, hence the dingly-ding-ding-ding... AFAIK he used a VOX Solid State Royal Guardsman on that song since his Bassmans then won't work properly under UK voltage.

Nowadays he plays it with OVERDRIVE, a bit distorted signal thru his Bassmans.

i've ridden that Brian plaied Rock this Town directly to the mixer on the"STRAY CATS" album,in fact it's too much clean. Stray Cat Strut,Rumble In Brighton,Double talkin baby and i think all the B side of the "STRAY CATS" album were plaied through his Vox Royal Guardsman.In fact Rock this Town doesn't have that classic Vox sound as Stray Cat Strut (wonderful sound) or Rumble In Brighton and Double talkin Baby have.Listen to that album,i think that A SIDE was plaied through his Fender Reverb (that he used in that time) and B SIDE through his Vox. A SIDE guitar sound is completely different from B SIDE guitar sound.
Sorry for my english,i'm from Italy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock This Town intro .... live!   Rock This Town intro .... live! Empty

Back to top Go down

Rock This Town intro .... live!
Page 1 of 1