The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is there a right or wrong way?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
setzerino

setzerino

Is there a right or wrong way? Empty
PostSubject: Is there a right or wrong way?   Is there a right or wrong way? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 2:26 pm

Ive been playing guitar for nearly 2 months now. Ive got some chords sussed and im trying my hardest to get my barre chords perfected (still some dead notes)

The problem is that i just cant help myself trying brians songs, even though they are waaaaaay out of my league. What im learning at the moment is the solo to 'I wont stand in your way' i can play about 3/4 of the solo so far but am i wasting my time learning this sort of thing yet? Should i focus on chords or should i just play what i like?
I have taught myself to read tabb and enjoy tryng to learn these solo's.
Back to top Go down
built4speed

built4speed

Is there a right or wrong way? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there a right or wrong way?   Is there a right or wrong way? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 2:57 pm

Absolutely not. You need to spend time learning the basics, like chords and such, but anytime spent on guitar learning something new that you love to play is time well spent, imo. Just don't lose your focus on the basics. Spend the majority of your practice time on that stuff, then reward yourself by trying something new and exciting, just like you're doing. It's a lot of work and commitment to play guitar, but it's supposed to pay off by being fun and rewarding as you increase in skill. Take it from me, if you let it stop being fun, you will stop playing. I just picked up the guitar again at the beginning of the year after having not played for around three years because I forced myself to play and practice stuff that I just didn't like doing anymore, and I subsequently burnt out. I now make sure that I enjoy myself when I play. I try to get better and improve my playing everyday, but if I'm not having fun, I need to change it up.

Remember as you go there are days when you feel like you're on fire and can play anything, and days when nothing seems to go right and you'll doubt your abilities. One thing I've started doing that really gives me a boost of confidence on the off days, is to keep a list going of songs that I can play. And I mean songs that I can play from beginning to end. It gives you a bit of a boost to first of all, just look at the list and see the progress you're making, and second, to pick a song from that list to play, and regain some confidence before tackling that new song, lick, technique, chord, etc that's giving you trouble.
Back to top Go down

Is there a right or wrong way?
Page 1 of 1